A game made with only 1 object

For the year and a half since I been in the Forums and using Flowlab for most of my time, I’ve always thought of the limitations and also the power a Free user actually has. Last year, I had a few thoughts of how, if it was possible, to make an entire game out of 1 object. Since then I’ve had the discussion come up once or twice with Mhx and the group and we agreed it was possible. I’ve been putting the idea off since then, until @TinkerSmith decided to do a mini competition of making a game out of the least materials.

The contest just ended today, and you can vote for the winner yourself in the discussion here:
http://forum.flowlab.io/discussion/8515/minimalistic-mini-competition#latest

Of course, I go overboard with the idea and also thought it would be a good time to try it out. After approximately 3 days, I have finished making a full game that was made out of 1 object. You can play the game here but I do ask to try the other games in the contest and vote.

The game is called “1
http://flowlab.io/game/play/1405051

Many, many, MANY work-arounds and ideas had to be made up for this to work. The contest theme was “Minimalistic” and my game is a bit Extreme for this theme. I consider my game to be “too much” and at the same time “too little”, and to be frank, I will not be surprised if I win or loose the contest. I made this more for my own interest and as a proof of concept. I mean think about it, this can be made on a FREE account! I really do like the perks with the Indie account but you can create most of the same things with a Free account. An Indie subscription really is worth it if you can afford it, having unlimited games, objects and levels, BUT nothing is impossible.

4 Likes

I had a quick look and OMG, lol.
I applaud you for bundling it all up nicely, a habbit I recommend to every beginner. Makes trouble shooting so much easier and helps to get your thoughts in line.
But I can see how you used every trick of the trade, worthwhile for everyone to have a look and to take some inspiration from it.

Well done :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @TinkerSmith, using bundles are the only way I could keep this monstrosity in check lol.
But I’ve been using more bundles in the newer games I create and its been super handy.

Also Pizza’s been nagging me to use more bundles lol

2 Likes

And if bundled up right you slowly build up a nice collection :slight_smile:
I just wish we could organize them somehow into categories or subfolders

2 Likes

This is awesome! Congrats again!

And true, 50% of our conversations is me telling JR01 to use Bundles more often lmao :smiley:

2 Likes

@PixelPizza Hehe
Bundle Tag Team, MUAHAHAHA
So I do the other 50% then

1 Like

hehehe, I counted the largest number of bundles I have.
Most use 4 or 5 bundles to its behaviors, but this one part goes down 6 bundles!

And it was the Maze Room!
2020.05.01-15.17

1 Like

That is so Amazing that you made that with only one block!

1 Like

There can be only ONE :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s more like, why not lol

1 Like

Thats still amazing @“JR 01”

1 Like

I was actually planning on doing something like this myself, I didn’t know about this! Thanks for sharing, @“JR 01”

1 Like

Update:
I updated the game to have “spinner” instead of “Slider” enemies.
Which was what I intended to do but I couldn’t figure out why none of the objects couldn’t rotate.
(The solution was in the player bundle)

2 Likes

There are two objects, one in the Game World and one in the Background

1 Like

i wanna try and remake it as a pink circle a 2nd version of this like there is a mario 2

1 Like

how did you get it on itch?

1 Like

True, @MrMcMemerMan but I don’t really think that the background counts. It doesn’t effect gameplay whatsoever.

1 Like

@MrMcMemerMan, the game works the same without the background, and also I didn’t count it because it has no behaviors. If you want to give it a try, you can delete the background object and play the game.

@ShadowKnight64, I used a the embed link in a html file.

1 Like

@Ramshacklegamestudios @JR01 I know

1 Like

Please do not respond to dead forums please :slight_smile:

1 Like