All the questions I have about each confusing behavior. Be prepared to read this.

grazer or Mhx (if he is an admin?), don’t feel obligated to read this. Just throwing out every “complaint”, or constructive criticism, I have about each behavior and its properties/descriptions. I guess you could consider this a review. And a lot of questions lol. With that in mind, my aim here is to leave me and others less confused, maybe minimized forum posts for help, and some elaboration on behaviors. Grab some popcorn and sit back. In any case, here goes nothing:

Proximity:
Don’t get me wrong, this one is pretty self explanatory. However, “trigger distance” remains vague. In what increment is this distance? Pixels? Blocks? Inches?
I also noticed you can adjust the bar, but you can’t necessarily input your own value. Which further bewilders me. It still doesn’t give me an indirect clue as to what increment this distance is referring to?

Shake Phone:
Its description isn’t even in the documentation…I’ll leave that up to that admins. And personally, I would like to know if this can be converted to a “tilt” behavior. (Temple Run for example.)

Sound:
I very well understand that in order for the sound to be played, it be must be linked via .mp3 website. Now, if people have their own soundtracks to use, they aren’t going to know where to go about this. Mhx once told me that you can upload the files to kiwi6 and copy the direct link. My suggestion; in the documentation, do make a note of that. Once people read that, I think it would leave us with little to no forum posts pertaining to that subject matter. (Such as “what site should I use”, “how do I make my own .mp3 website”, “why can’t I just upload files”, or “how much does it cost to upload to a .mp3 website?” See what I mean? But hey, that’s my perspective.)

Emit:
The “max age” property. Although this one I do understand that it’d be best to play around with, it wouldn’t hurt to know in what time length the object will disappear.

Attacher:
Ok, this one you may have to play around with. My suggestion, for the sake of time, would be to have the ability to attach the object within the object editor lol. Good idea, no?

Destroy:
Well, there’s an “output”. Isn’t it pointless? I mean, once the object is destroyed, it’s not going to fire any more triggers. MORE IMPORTANTLY; You see, leaving that output there will lead people to believe that triggers can be fired off after the object is destroyed. That is clearly not the case.

Position:
(*Note, due to my analytical mind, feel free to skip this one. It is quite long.) In my opinion, this one needs much elaboration. Hey, “position”, that sounds simple to use, right? Of course. But then when you figure out what kind of component to connect it to…you don’t know how it’s going to behave, nor if it’s even needed for that matter. I’m just left with “position”. So therefore, my question is; position…in what respect? Ok, maybe that can’t be answered, so let’s go back to what I previously stated. “You don’t know how it’s going to behave, nor if it’s even needed for that matter”. Let’s take a deeper look at what I’m saying:

So let’s say I want an object to move left on the x-axis. Let’s do this:
Always - number (5) - (x) impulse … but hey, it moved right! How do we fix this…of course, the “forward” input in impulse! So let’s go to the object itself, and change the “forward” to left. Let’s go back to the behaviors:
Always - number (5) - (forward) impulse … problem solved! But hey, couldn’t I have used the position behavior? What is it? It says…set’s the object’s x/y position. Hmm… Let’s take a look at it real quick. We have:
(x)
(y)
(+x)
(+y)
***Now, before I proceed any further, I have some questions about the above. There’s a plain (x) and (y), and a…well that’s wierd, another (+x) and (+y)? And by another, I mean that (x) and (y) is already positive, no? NOW, judging from the fact that flowlab seems to be focused on side scrolling, it’s safe to assume that the axis is programmed. Meaning, there’s a -x (left), +x (right), -y (down) and +y (up). So all in all what is the meaning of (x), (y), (+x), and (+y)? It seems to be based on the axis. Ok, let’s assume the (x) and (y) are negative. I still want the object to move left. Let’s try it.

Always - (number 5) - (x) position.
The result; the object disappeared?! Alright, fine. But … position seems to be similar to velocity/impulse, given the “reset speed on update” property. On top of that… on what “update”? What are we updating lol? Like, is the initial trigger supposed to be always?

Even if so, if I wanted to make something move in the negative direction, I think it’d make sense to make the number a negative.***

All in all, I’m beginning to wonder if this is a necessity, or beneficial. If I want an object to move in a specific direction, could I not customize that using velocity, impulse, and/or their x, y, and forward inputs?

Let’s continue…

Alpha:
I know, this one is easy. For the sake of time, rather then using a number, have the percentage within alpha? Like an adjustable bar?

Size:
Well, the same thing I said about alpha. But also, there’s something in the documentation that was absolutely excellent about this one:
“Out outputs the new size.” You see what you did here? You indirectly told us to put the number before; inside the “%” input. I mean that would make sense but…still.

Enabled:
A while ago, I did try to turn off all of the object’s behaviors. It didn’t work for some reason, so maybe check on it for a bug? Maybe it was just me. More than likely.

Animation:
Just a reminder; don’t forget to make the ability to delete frames, as I saw in one of the forum posts…

Extractor:
Within the properties, we have:

Extract property+
From current object:
From selected object:

Nothing seems to be an issue…hey wait, From “current” object and From “selected” object sound the same. Ok, so they are… Probably nothing big, let’s just stick with “current”.

Actually, at the time of writing this, I clicked on “From selected object” to see what would happen. To my surprise, more options suddenly appeared. I was not expecting that, nor did I know it existed. My suggestion; keep the extra options there, but keep them highlighted in gray and unusable. That way, if people need those options, they will educationally guess to click on “From selected object” to use those options. They sound very similar in my opinion.

Mouse click and Mouse move:
Just a reminder; I would suggest to make a note in the documentation that both are converted to touch and drag on the iOS.

Flowlab:
A chatroom :slight_smile:

Ok, that is all I have for now. In any case, I hope someone read this. Hey this seemed to be a very negative post, this needs some positivity…flowlab is an absolutely awesome program, I am surprised there’s a free trial for it. Compared to other iOS programs, I’d have to say this one is best and easiest to use. Especially the object editor. Thank you for that, it gets old after creating your own images and watching them distort in other programs lol.

Throw in the input, I am very curious about what yall have to say.

I actually appreciate you asking such detailed and extended questions. It brings a new level of intellectuals into the forums, where as before we mainly asked 10 word questions, or unreasonable tutorial requests. (ex. Show me how to make super smash bros on here.)

Let me do my best to reply to your comments.

Proximity: Pixels. The pixels are kind of odd though since its a round detector, and I would like to see a negative barrier such as “not in proximity” or “not in collision with object”, but I can only assume there would be lag from constant check ups. I’ll get more into lag in one of your other questions.

Shake Phone: Shake phone is a lot easier to make than building a virtual gyroscope that syncs with the tilt of all sizes of devices. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but when you manually code a game, you go for specifically that device.

Sound: Yes, there could be a [?] block on the sound tool that lists a few websites. Most people don’t understand that the website already has almost 1 million games that have been abandoned, hosting isn’t free, and copyright is always an issue. Look what happened to Megaupload and sites like that. Other than so, nobody wants ads, and there aren’t nearly enough premium users to pull in a profit to balance what grazer puts into development.

Emit: I have a problem with emitting. I love it to death, but too many objects on a rapid fire will drop your framerate to 10. Knowing how long your object will last, um, are you familiar with Minecraft? If so or not, there is an object called a Redstone Repeater, and that counts in ticks. 1 tick to every 2 game ticks, or 0.1 seconds. Emit I would say is similar to where 20 ticks is 2 seconds. I probably could have just explained it like the Timer is 20 for 2 seconds, oh well, lol I already typed it.

Attacher: Attacher works like layers, sort of like photoshop. If you want a shirt to be attached, you need to make the sprite with a shirt, then remove the sprite around the shirt. I assume you’re looking for an in-game layer editor, that is something up to grazer, since he does all the coding in his spare time.

Destroy: The output… I could be wrong, BUT, I believe the output can still send a message. That would be it though. When destroyed, it sends a message.

Position: This is a grid. It has nothing to do with impulse or velocity, and I may misunderstand what you were asking, but consider this feature as “teleport” or “x/y lock” so you hover or don’t push an elevating object off its grid.

Alpha: Alpha doesn’t have a built in number, because with the use of Number or Ease, you can fade easier. Imagine the chaos of having a bunch of different Alpha tabs with different numbers in them, rather than just 20 messages going to 1 alpha tab that is only affecting 1 object. Of course if there were labeled folders, then I guess you could be better organized. (My game looks like a backpack full of tangled wires.)

Size: Well I mean… the number goes first in 100% or 20% anyway right? I’m confused what to answer for this one. I would only wonder why 100% is the limit, but collision is one.

Enabled: I try to stay away from using this. It literally turns you into a background object with no incoming or outgoing anythings. No collision, no movement, no messages. I would use it for doors instead of destroy. There could be a bug since I last used it. All bugs reported are appreciated. It helps a lot.

Animation: Been noted :slight_smile: It’s on the very long to do list…

Extractor: I always figured this as self explanatory. Extract your own x/y or extract another objects x/y to compare to yours. It’s great for radar and chasing/following bots.

Mouse click/move: I guess he could add (Touch) in the description.

Flowlab chatroom: That has been on my mind as well. The vanilla forums are very… well… dropbox I guess you could say. It’s not really organized or search friendly. grazer has his own little chat box for asking questions (when he is online), but it could be nice to have a chatbox on the right that shows people who are online. See, the more we teach members like you, the more you can help others. One day there may be a team for that, where not Moderators, but um… support, that’s the word. We could use a support team :slight_smile:

I hope I was helpful to you, no I’m not an admin, just the friendly forum moderator :stuck_out_tongue:
I try to help when I can, and all questions and comments are read, answered or not. Keep in mind, due to the site only being moderated by grazer and I, we can only check during our free time, and we only check about every other day. If a question is ever unanswered, it was probably unreasonable, but if any question is urgent, you may PM us, and we will do our best to help. (Help, not do it for you. If I were to make a whole pacman game to explain how to make a pacman game, I might as well say I made it myself.)

We are looking for team support, and I can tell you are a good person for it, if you would be willing to help newbies. Everyone starts as a newbie, you teach them well, they make friends, they stick around, and in a few months, they help out.

Soo… yeah, hope I helped :slight_smile:

-We are looking for team support, and I can tell you are a good person for it, if you -would be willing to help newbies. Everyone starts as a newbie, you teach them well,
-they make friends, they stick around, and in a few months, they help out.

I would love to be part of a support team. As long as it’s well-organized and acknowledged :slight_smile:

You helped don’t worry about lol. Except for the “minecraft” reference. I could not infer what is analogous of Minecraft to emit. But judging that 10 is 1 second, I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to add an inference? Like 10.0 = 1 second at the bottom of max age?

Yeah no worries, I’m not looking for people to do things for me. Help is all I need, really. Once my friend and I get off our asses and start making our game (that we do plan to release on the iTunes app store), we will be needing help here and there. Along with beta testers as well. I’ll just need to look into the individual steps of how to make the game an independent app. When the product if is finished, of course…

But yeah, let me know when this support team is…how do you say, validated? You have my word, I will join it.

Proximity:
Don’t get me wrong, this one is pretty self explanatory. However, “trigger distance”
remains vague. In what increment is this distance? Pixels? Blocks? Inches?
I also noticed you can adjust the bar, but you can’t necessarily input your own value.
Which further bewilders me. It still doesn’t give me an indirect clue as to what
increment this distance is referring to?

If you adjust the slider, you may notice that the object has a circle indicator around it that grows and shrinks, displaying precisely what the current distance is (It is pixels).

it never triggers for me