An Annual Free User Flowjam!

I had a great idea! a flowjam for free users, which the reward would be a free year of indie!

5 Likes

Flowjam is available for free users, and the prize is much more expensive than 60 dollars.

2 Likes

Name 1 free user that ever won. This would fully be made for free users.

4 Likes

I got 4th place and I was a free user. But it was super hard to even get that.

I would definitely participate in this flowjam, that way I could recontinue all of my old projects, lol.

4 Likes

Some of the Indie users apparently don’t like free users all that much. ManiacPumpkin was the closest to get there.

3 Likes

2 Likes

@grazer WE CALL THY IN DISTRESS OF THE POOR PEOPLE

3 Likes

I assume you’re talking about the home page video, and that you’re also referring to Flee, the game where you are a blob of meat killing scientists and eating old parts of yourself?

Look, your game looked great but likely didn’t make it into the video because I asked him to exclude any visuals that were not appropriate for young kids. The clips were not chosen on any sort of personal basis. I want elementary school teachers to be comfortable using Flowlab in classrooms if they want.

Making weird games is great, and I love it, but you can’t reasonably be upset if you make a violent game and it doesn’t end up in the home page promo vid :frowning:

4 Likes

OMG that explains so much now i understand. Should I still put in blood in my games?

1 Like

:tada: I have great news, we’re about to have a Flowjam for free users! :tada:

It’s called “Flowjam”! You literally can use the game engine that I made you to make a game for free, to enter the contest that I’m hosting (also free to enter), and if you win I will send you a new game console (for free!)

Every Flowjam I have people complaining that the game jam is somehow biased against free users. The problem with this line of thinking (and there are many) is that usually most of the entries, and therefore MOST OF THE JUDGES are free users. Are you saying that free users are biased against themselves?

I have a theory of my own that may be worth considering:

The developers who care the most about their craft, those that focus and therefore improve the most are often the same ones who don’t mind investing a few dollars to have access to better tools.

8 Likes

Damn #shotsfired by grazer

1 Like

A lot of my games can usually qualify under the free user restrictions, I can use a free account in the next contest.

4 Likes

damn, grazer has roasted us lol

6 Likes

Sorry, I’m honestly not trying to be mean :slight_smile:

It’s not your fault that I have had this conversation so many times - I shouldn’t let it get me frustrated. Just rest assured that the Flowjam is not pay to win. I try to keep it as fair as I possibly can.

6 Likes

Free users aren’t under limitations if they’re good at flowlab, it just takes longer to do some things sometimes, but it’s by no means impossible for a free user to win.

2 Likes

Its just that you can kinda be outshined as a free user, Thats about it tho

3 Likes

How are you outshined? If you are, the other person deserves to win, free flowlab doesn’t restrict anything from you besides multiplayer and the 50 block limit which has many ways to get around. For example, One Shot Demo is a super simple game and would be easy to create in flowlab (it was made in 4 days for flowjam). If someone could actually create a game like Thrall in 14 days for flowjam they just deserve to win. The main reason paid users win is probably just from numbers, If someone is going to enter a contest it is going to be someone serious about winning, like a paid user. Someone new to flowlab won’t be as good and it has nothing to do with use the free version. There are very good people who use the free version of flowlab (I would like to think I’m included in this list), but they might be at the 3 game limit and not bother to create another account to enter. It’s just more likely that someone who pays will enter and is actually good at flowlab.

Well, since indie users have more objects and more levels they can easily make a much larger project than a free edition can ever dream so I can see how this would work, but I have seen many free edition games better than indie games before.

3 Likes

As I mentioned there are several ways to get around the object limit. As for the levels, there are ways to get around it as well by spawning the player on different maps and turning off the features of the maps not currently being used to reduce lag. The only thing truly out of reach with no way around is multiplayer (unless one player is WASD and the other is “Arrow Keys”)

1 Like

But you can’t access multiplayer with free version :upside_down_face:

2 Likes