August Silence - new updates coming soon!

Forgot to post here. I played this game yesterday, awesome work! I haven’t figured out how to complete it yet (assuming it is completable?), but I love the mechanics and atmosphere. Creepy in a good way. :+1:

3 Likes

It’s completable. If you’re having a hard time figuring out where to go, there should be some pink dots marking points of interest on the map. (you might need to zoom in the browser to see)

5 Likes

I don’t want spoilers yet. :smile:

I figured out how to get and charge the gun, how to heal myself, how to kill the scary alien (or whatever it is) that spawns in the room to the right… I’m competent enough to avoid the moving robot things in the left room as well, to get to the top… though getting to the top of either of those rooms puts me into outer space and I die from losing oxygen. So I’m pretty sure that’s not where I’m supposed to go. The other room to the right, I shoot the panel on the wall and it moves the force field block (assuming that’s what it’s supposed to be)…

andddd holy crap. Durrr. I think I just figured out how to get to the next room. LOL.

Yup. That was it. Had to type it out to get to that “ah hah!” moment. I feel stupid now.

Note to self: you can shoot the panel from in between the force field blocks.

2 Likes

nice, you figured it out! that’s really the only puzzle in the game at all. basically stole it from The Legend of Zelda : Twilight princess because I thought it was cool.

also, as a general update on progress, I’m going to try doing an export again soon and try to fit in some music I left unused into the game.

3 Likes

It’s kind of rare to see puzzles like that in modern games. Nice touch there! I’m still facepalming myself for failing to figure it out the first time. I thought it was like a combination lock or something where I had to press up, up, down, down, left, right, A, B, start to open both the gates :rofl:

2 Likes

do you think the game could be featured?

• yes
  • no

0 voters

2 Likes

Hey @F3Art - I’m planning to feature this game on Monday. I didn’t add it when you made the announcement because I had just added Ace Commander and wanted to give it a few days at the top before adding something new :smiley:

Great work on this one BTW!

11 Likes

Oh , that’s a good idea to give a game a few days before adding anything new.
And thanks! I had a lot of fun with the project.

5 Likes

This is probably one of the more unique games I’ve seen on Flowlab in a exploration sense. Most featured games are more arcade-like and to the point, but August Silence doesn’t hold your hand at all, and lets the player figure stuff out. Haven’t seen anyone do that until now on the site, so kudos!

I can’t praise this game enough, it’s very well made, and I’m happy to see it get a place on the front page:D

6 Likes

@F3Art Congratulations on the release of August Silence - great work! It’s well executed, good fun to play and gets you thinking! I haven’t managed to complete yet but happy trying!

Some really nice graphic touches with a stylish sci-fi vibe.

6 Likes

Woah woah woah woah woah woah woah, your saying its done!?!? I gotta check this out one second.

5 Likes

Hey @F3Art - it’s featured :slight_smile:

6 Likes

hey, I’m thinking of adding some cut weapons/abilities as cheats unlocked after beating the game. some of them were too overpowered to be in the game normally. (medusa ray, grenade launcher, and double jump.)

what do you think?

• yes
  • no

0 voters

5 Likes

I just played the game from featured games, it was pretty good.
I’ve noticed a few things/bugs, but the atmosphere and gameplay was great.

4 Likes

where would the bugs be? I can try to fix them after flowjam if you have any suggestions on a solution.

also, have you beat the game?

4 Likes

I did, it took a little back and forth, but it was pretty good.

Bugs:

1. He looks back while walking if you dont move the mouse.
  2. The gun flips while your walking if you dont move your mouse.
    – These both can be solved by always outputting the mousemove position with number blocks.
  3. Numbers appear in the corner of the Save Rooms.
  4. You can touch any sides of the floating boxes to regain your Jump
  5. You can see where the fade stops behind all the doors.

Thoughts or suggestions I have:

1. There’s no way to avoid enemies when they pop out below you
    (maybe make it pop up in front instead).
  2. The wall is a safe spot against the enemy, making it too easy.
  3. The level with the falling platforms is very difficult, not sure if your meant to wall Jump since this is right after getting that power up. But I was able to get up eventually.
  4. From the gameplay, there are 2 completely unused rooms/levels, I’m sure they help the lore but I don’t get the story myself…
5 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions on the player looking back. Been trying to fix that for a while. Almost forgot that you can see the end of the fade and numbers in safe rooms since those are only visible in fullscreen. What unused rooms do you mean?

Also, regaining your jump from any side of a crate is intentional, it’s not a very elegant solution but otherwise that level is a huge difficulty spike.

2 Likes

The egg room and the planet surface

I dont think its really difficult to just jump from the top of the create, I did most of the game like that before I realize I could spam it for touching a box.

2 Likes

Oh ok, I forgot about the planet lol

2 Likes

@F3Art - after the Flowjam, you (or someone) should make a let’s play of this game :slight_smile:

I’ve tried to play it a bunch of times, but never really get very far - I’m probably just being dumb, but I can tell that there is a lot going on that I’m not getting to. I could probably cheat and look at the game logic too I guess…

5 Likes