Beginner tutorial videos are back :)

A long time ago I made tutorial videos for beginners. Then I decided making the videos again because grazer gave me a license or bandicam so I can make videos without a watermark. I deleted the old videos and wanted to upload the new ones but an error keeps showing up and I didn’t understand why it wasn’t working.

The last few days I was working on new videos because I remembered it and I felt pretty sad for grazer. I kept deleting the videos because I didn’t feel right with them and I had to restart everything a few times and cut some parts from the videos. But it’s finally done :slight_smile:

Here’s the playlist:
https://youtu.be/Hntvsm3o2JI?list=PL86SfKs3bzsWjvnvk7t3NEh83fkxC36b3
And this is a link

There are currently 7 videos, I will make more soon. Any suggestions for new videos are welcome.

Awesome, thanks!! They look great :slight_smile:

Will you add them somewhere in the help page again?

The old one is gone.

Suggestion: spriting

Show them drawing tips on how to make sprites.

Maybe display some programs like paint.net

Will make it separate from the series

@grazer Will it be in the help page again? I’m really sorry that the old ones were deleted. I’m just trying to help and want the best for beginners in flowlab so they keep creating awesome games.

Hey @Latif3 - I’ll add some links to your tutorial vids for sure. I plan to make some other changes to that section as well.

I’ve also been working on making new tutorial videos myself to add as well, but I’m super slow at it so it;s taking forever.

Hey @Latif3 I make some flowlab videos to, when I dont to other tutorials/gameplay. I was wondering if u wanted to do some sorta challenge series where we have like, 10 minutes or something to make a type of game. then we check out eachothers game, and decide whos is better?

Tell me if you do, was just a small idea xD

(blink) Latif3 will be hard to beat…

lot of people are having trouble with lives u should do a video

Yeah I’ve noticed that, I should make a video of it.

I’ve noticed that the problem with showing someone how to do something, vs teaching them why it works, is not always better. It took me years to understand code logic, so flowlab was like turning on easy mode for me. However, people with no knowledge of code logic couldn’t tell much difference between impulse and velocity, and would never understand how functions work. A good real life example is when people trace stuff to draw, or copy the drawing, sure, you drew it, but you can’t do it without copying. If I trace the front of a car, I can’t suddenly draw the side of a truck, you know?

tl;dr if you show someone how to make a coin system or a basic platformer, they can copy it, but then they don’t know what to do from there. You just taught them what to do, not how it’s done, and why it works. A great tutorial video would be one that demonstrates each feature, what it is, what it does, how it works, and why it works. These are fantastic tutorials for basic “How To” beginner questions, but if you want to make more videos, I’d love to see you make one that explains all the behaviors, and give examples of what you could do with them. Good work, I watched all of them. I hope you make more.

These tutorials were more like to answer all people’s questions about flowlab. Most people on the forums ask here how to do something, if I write exactly how to do it, they don’t understand it. If I show them a picture, they’ll say thank you and copy it. So I made these videos so if I see those questions ever again I can tell them about my series.

It would be nice to make real tutorials how flowlab works, so people can understand the logic of behaviors. I think I can do this if I have time for it, because I’m currently pretty busy with school and I’m now in the beginning of my exam years.

I’m thinking about a single video with an introduction about flowlab, what it is, how it works etc. Then explain them what objects and sprites are. And lastly explain them about behaviors. I could use my voice for it but I don’t have such beautiful american voice because I’m from The Netherlands. So I am not going to try it :pensive:

I’M NOT USED TO WRITE SUCH LONG POSTS SORRY

Maybe I’ll join latif3 on these. I’ve kinda always wanted to do tutorials.

Motivation: CONSTANTLY REPEATED QUESTIONS

Motivation is definitely overly repeated questions. 4 years of the same questions being asked, because they don’t use the search bar. I think an FAQ video or game example link area would be helpful.

So @grazer, how many months do I have to wait til the videos get in the help page? :slight_smile:

I’m just trying to help flowlab :persevere:

The search bar picks up any word, so a lot of the results are horribly unrelated. XD
If you typed “the” in the search bar with your word then you’d get nowhere.

Keywords and tags work best, like “enemy follow” brings up exactly what I’m looking for.

All 3 of these topic are related, and each were answered with the fly game example.
http://forum.flowlab.io/search?Search="enemy+follow"

The search bar works the same as Google. If you type (enemy follow), every single post with the word enemy OR follow will display, but if you quote it (“enemy follow”), then it will only display topics where the words enemy and follow are both in the post, and right next to each other. Quoting a search is the most reliable way to get the best and most specific results.

Now there are 4 :smile:

Hey @Latif3 - I haven’t forgotten about the video tutorials, I’m working on re-doing the help page, and I have some videos as well that I’ll add as part of it. Your tutorials are super appreciated!