🔮 Beyond the Glass - (3rd Place!) - DinoDev & CodeAlpaca

Time to release our game!

I recommend playing in full screen with headphones on, and also to read the description before playing — might help!

Disclaimer:

Alpaca is in the middle of adding a speed run mode, it shouldn’t take very long and will be done by midnight tonight. Just letting everyone know so if they decided to play before tomorrow and run into any bugs, might be because we’re editing right now, who knows.

Low-end computers may lag.

Look out for the GDD release tomorrow and have fun!
:t_rex::llama:

P.S. All feedback is appreciated as long as its respectful, and makes sense.

16 Likes

Quick note! The Speedrun timer was messed up, so whatever your final time is will be very, very high. I fixed it now. (Reloading will not fix your current time or reset the level due to our save system allowing you to play on and off while maintaining your score and current level)

2 Likes

Very amazing artwork

6 Likes

we don’t recommend watching this video if you intend on a full experience, but it can be useful if you’re stuck.

SPOILERS:

5 Likes

16 minutes? I thought this was an hour experience?

For a non-dev lmao — I know where everything is, I mean, I’ve played through it at least 100 times.

4 Likes

As DinoDev said, we’re the devs who played through the game several times and even tried speedrunning it (there is a speedrun timer and leaderboard if you want to speedrun it). I would actually recommend speedrunning it after you complete the game because it’s actually super fun to speedrun.

4 Likes

Update 1.1: Speedrunning

Speedrunning should now be entirely possible with a Leaderboard and a Speedrunning Mode.
When Speedrunning Mode is turned on, the player will see;

1. The current time the run is at. This allows the player to see the time that will be shown on the Leaderboard.
  2. Splits between levels. When going between levels, you can see the completion time of the level from the current run compared to the best run.

Team DinoCode :t_rex: :llama:

4 Likes

@CodeAlpaca @00T_Free
Drake Notebook GIF - Drake Notebook GIFs

2 Likes

Who of you did most of the artwork? like who did what?
Asking for a friend…

2 Likes

We both did a lot of artwork. Depends. He did a lot of the important foreground spritework while I did a lot of background objects and interface design.

We’re posting a GDD tomorrow that shows our sketches, brainstorming, and even chats we had in Google docs while I was in school about developing our game! It’s 33 pages I think.

4 Likes

Ok nice thank you! The Art looks beautiful.

4 Likes

I really like the character artwork, very smooth game.

4 Likes

Happy Flowjamming everybody! Luckily I was able to sort out all the bug before the deadline

2 Likes

Hi again,

Overall it’s a super polished game, the things that really stood out for me:

• Story by chat gpt? Wow that’s a really creative idea, sometimes it’s worth reading the credits lol.
  • I wish there was a little more reason to use the normal view instead of the glasses. 99% of the times i would just wear them. Just saying, the adventure was very interesting nontheless.
  • The sound design really captivate me (and artwork ofc), i feel like i’m part of the world

Thank you for submitting such a beautiful game.

3 Likes

Thank you for your feedback!

We thought about ways to use the glasses both in a negative and positive way and had trouble coming up with something consistent — except for a cooldown possibly, but we wanted the game to feel more explorative and didn’t want to really limit the use of the glasses either…

Maybe we’ll come back to that aspect after the jam.

Again, thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We had some help with chatGPT, but a large majority of the story was by us, it just filled in some of the blanks. So glad you liked the game :heart:!

3 Likes

Announcement: Game Design Document

As recently posted in our other topic (it was the last post there), we are releasing our GDD!

Here’s our GDD release!

You can see here our brainstorming for music, art, story, mechanics, and more. :slight_smile:

:t_rex::llama:

6 Likes

The main character reminds me of the celeste main character

3 Likes

I looked it up and it does lol, we chose those colors because they stood out in the game (mostly the red hair)

3 Likes