Building a new game, dungeon crawler, need help

Hi. I’m working on a new game called Monsters, Cellars, and Stuff. Having trouble with some issues in the character spawning method and will probably need help with other stuff further on.
Link to game: Game

3 Likes

What specifically are you struggling with?

1 Like

the character spawning method. I’m not using a traditional platformer style, but more of a grid movement thing. Trying to use the character spawning thing, but characters won’t show

2 Likes

A topdown? Look at my games I have done that often.

1 Like

do any of your games have a character selection screen? That could be helpful.

2 Likes

I think I know what’s happening. My blocks for the floor are in the foreground instead of the background.

2 Likes

nvm. I can’t set the blocks in the background because my game is a different style. Basically, you’re supposed to select a character and then the character will spawn on the lock block. You can then move your character to different blocks in the area using a grid-based movement. Once your character moves to a block, it’s then supposed to spawn different blocks that will give you items, buffs, enemies, etc. Once the tiles have been cleared, you can move to the lock tile again to fight a boss. After the boss, another level starts. I have made this exact game in another platform if you would like to see that.

1 Like

Have a player block emit a player type when selected with number keys. When a player is selected, have the original player block destroyed.

1 Like

ok ill try that
BTW here’s the link to the original game: Original Game

1 Like

OMG i think i finally figured it out. Just checking, you can basically make a variable by labeling a number?

2 Likes

Yes, but to make the variable work over multiple objects use a global number.

1 Like

Ok. I have zero clue what’s happening now. I’m using the character selection example in the helpful examples for this, but it’s not working like intended. I’m going to try your version of this.

1 Like

Ok. Most of the examples are outdated, use them cautiously.

1 Like

ok. Found out the problem (for real this time.) I was trying to send a message through the levels, which wasn’t working, unlike your character selection screen which is in the same level as the character. I just deleted the selection screen and started over in the main screen.

1 Like

Nice.
If you want a selection screen then use save blocks and have it emit on the screen that you play in.

1 Like

YES!!! IT FINALLY WORKS!!! I have now made it so that my character can walk around on the screen, nothing else yet. Will add text to selection screen.

1 Like

Glad it works, lemme know if you need any more help!

1 Like

I am working on making a wiki. Check it out!
(Off topic channel has the link and a poll)

1 Like

ok. I got a selection screen in there. I’ve got the character movement and where it spawns. I just need to find out how to change the costume and how to keep it from running off screen. I think the problem is that I’m putting the code in a behavior block.

1 Like