Can't wait for this feature!

@LevelGames1, Thanks for the explanation. What I meant is why does an API has a block in the text and not by code so maybe is a code editor?

But I do appreciate the explanation!

:grinning:

Databases and custom accounts would provide huge opportunity for a game I’ve been thinking about.
In conclusion: I want an API block :laughing:

@johnpost, API’s are cool. But on the text it says API block but why is the other one not called code block, instead it’s just called code. So is it a code editor? Or behavior where you could write code in it.

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 20.23.33

^

I would guess it means a block for code/api. I don’t know how it would be implemented though. You could always ask grazer what his thoughts are for that.

@johnpost, Ye you’re right.

@grazer, Please help I am confused. Is it a code editor or behavior where you write code in it.

Hey @R0CK - that feature card is talking about two different things that would work together:

1. A behavior block that would accept Haxe source code. This would be similar to the Expression block but with a large/better text edit area.
  2. An “API” to interact with using code. API stands Application Programming Interface - which basically will be a documented way to interact with the engine using code. For example, you might set the gravity using something like:

Flowlab.world.gravity.y = 50;

There needs to be defined and documented ways to interact with the engine, and they will be tough to change once people start using them, so I need to spend some time nailing them down. Coming up with the API and writing the documentation will probably take more time than actually adding the code block, TBQH.

6 Likes

I’m more exited now that it’ll be a way to change the engine settings in a live game.
If we can also control object settings (like friction, bounce, and layer), this will be everything I need.

Really looking forward to it wither way!!

1 Like

@grazer, Ooooh.

But can there be a feature where if you would make a game. A popup would occur where it says "do you want visual code editor or Scripting editor. And if you choose to script you could choose one programming language out of the 14 programming languages.

Just like unity. Where you could switch between a code editor or a visual code editor for example bolt or playmaker = Javascript, Lua, Python, CSS, HTML, C#.

@grazer, So the code feature is a behavior where you could write code in it.

Am i right?

@grazer, ???

@R0CK I’m sure grazer will get back to you whenever he can, but please don’t spam his username.

Ok, Sorry.

1 Like

No problem, but just learn from your mistakes

I believe that is what Grazer means, and that would revolutionize flowlab coding!
I can’t wait for this feature, and I hope it is everything we are making it up to be!

@Ramshacklegamestudios, When the code editor is added. I would code the hell out of that code editor. I am not sure if grazer is going to add visual coding scripts like the functions of the behavior’s but in scripts. So you don’t need to drop and drag with your fingers all day long, if I would do that everyday my fingers would decay over time, lol.

lol that’s true

and with this we could do so much more than just simple coding!

The only problem is, I’ll think, “oh! I can add so many new features to DoM.” Then my computer won’t be able to take it, and I won’t even be able to play the finished game :unamused:

I’ve had some experience with Lua and JavaScript, but not enough to actually write up a whole program. I am excited for this new Code Block! It may also help me practice writing code.

@MetaNinja @Ramshacklegamestudios, Ye agree. With a script code editor and a custom, text-based programming language with the functions of the behavior’s would be easier to make games. Then drag and drop because it would hurt my fingers a lot and it’s dreadful to program with. But a text-based programming language with the functions of the behavior’s would take visual coding to space!

Sorry to say, but a full script editor is unlikely to be added.

Flowlab was made with and for the visual coding in mind, for the ease and simplicity on teaching programming and game design. And over the years, everything has been updating through the visual coder with new and more behaviors that adds more depth and freedom to the games we make. Especially with the new update the Grazer is working on, it will change how Flowlab is used completely by new and old user. But again, this is adding a behavior (and data structures with this update) that will be added through the visual coder.

The only way I see having a full script editor would be either using the source code (not an option) or creating a new code editor that would have more features and controls than the code block that he’s going to add in the next update.

But who knows, maybe Grazer could add a new script editor made from scratch that adds the visual code as you make it in the script code. Now that would be something to see and use, but probably in a year or 2 if it is added later. It’s like remaking Flowlab again to add that editor if you think about it…

On the other hand, you may could look more into the exporting / importing code.
It’s fun to Tinker around. :wink:

Sorry for the Article, just something on my mind and wanted to explain. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@JR01, You are right about that. But adding a code editor with functions of the behaviors would take flowlab into another level. For example, if a new account is created they would be presented to visual coding ( behaviors ). So over time like 6 to 8 months, The new game-developers would gain access to the code editor with some knowledge of visual coding. But the game-developers would realize that the code editor has the same functions of the behaviors and it would make it easier to make games than drag and drop, it’s dreadful making games with your finger. If I would make games for years with my fingers, It would decay over time. Plus adding this feature increase marketing in flowlab tremendously and maybe it would appear in the best game engines just like construct 2-3. And lots of youtube channels would appear making tutorials for flowlab.io and maybe it would appear infamous youtube channels like Brackeys or Dani.