Chain Reaction - Demo

yeah, it checks each square one at a time, it doesn’t do a great job because it plays pretty poorly, but I’ll try to improve it when I get the chance.

1 Like

I’m currently making a different AI that is faster and has improved checking abilities so the game is bugged a little

1 Like

Ah, ok, lol. I’ve noticed a few things

1. Sometimes when I switch tabs and come back I lose the ability to place my orb anywhere. Like, I can move the cursor and see my green thing move, but when I click anywhere, nothing happens, so that game isn’t playable anymore (which is incredibly annoying, but idk if you can actually do anything about this particular issue)
  2. The frequency at which the ai steals your orbs illegally greatly increases once you have taken over most of the board and they only have a few orbs left, making it extremely hard to actually win (idk if you knew about this or not)

But those are the only real issues that I have with the game (besides the slow AI). Overall though, I’m loving this game, lol. Knowing about the thing with the wall and corner orbs seriously improved my skill, lol.

1 Like

Suggestion try to find a way to store all the placements then store the one you place
also in the red circle add a check if in proximity there’s a green replace it in a new spot

2 Likes

So, I was looking at that new ai and wow. I have no idea what’s going on in there, lol. But it does seem to be going quite a bit faster, so that’s cool. How long do you think it will be until it’s ready to be used in an actual game?

1 Like

I can probably get it implemented today, but I’m still working on making it’s values for the squares correct.

1 Like

when they explode they don’t place the new number correctly in the center which i think is why it miss reads a lot

1 Like

The AI was reading the squares correctly, but there was a bug so it was skipping the first row so it placed its orbs in the incorrect spot.

1 Like

is it good now? with that bug i mean

1 Like

Almost, just need to do some more testing

with the old red ai it still places on top of green but the green still stack (when they explode)

1 Like

The new AI shouldn’t do that, it’s not implemented yet

1 Like

The AI is now faster and slightly better at the game, but it still cheats (slightly less often). I am currently trying to make it so it can’t cheat, but I’m struggling to find how something is causing it. (it cheats less if you avoid the 2nd row)

instead of using the squares to detect it could you use a raycast? also, wouldn’t it be faster?
(i haven’t looked at the code this is just a suggestion) also, you can just have the ai move 1 down shoot a ray up then move it back up and if it doesn’t hit then mark that square as available (to keep it from cheating)

1 Like

I have to use squares over ray casts because I need to know the mass of the orb next to it. Moving it down then up seems like a really good idea, I’ll do that when I have the time. ty for the suggestion.

2 Likes

I like how the ai is progressing. It is now able to be played against, which is neat (yes, I know it isn’t ready yet, but idc, I wanna play). Two things I noticed though, that you may or may not already know about:

1. When the AI explodes an orb, it sometimes destroys my orbs that are 2+ spaces away from theirs, with no orbs in between.
  2. Ok, so somehow the AI set off an absolutely insane and brutal combo that almost entirely decimated me (sort of early game and it ended up with pretty much the entire board except the bottom 2 rows). I ended up being able to place a corner orb and set off my own monster combo, taking back pretty much everything he had…almost. You see, my monster combo ended up lagging the game so bad that I ended up with 0 fps and then the browser crashed… which is an issue. Just making sure you are aware

Also, I hereby nominate myself as your official beta tester. You cannot stop me :slight_smile:

Edit: It also appears that the AI begins scanning even while I have a combo going on. Also, it just crashed my game a second time. It also

4 Likes

Glad you like the game so much, I do need to add a delay for the AI when your orbs explode, it is something I noticed. I’ve tested the game a lot with huge amounts of orbs but it never crashed for me, it just took a few seconds to process everything, I did change something yesterday and it’s performing way better for me, when did the crash happen? I notice the player orbs increasing for over 2 boxes and fixed that, but I completely forgot to check the AI, ty for reminding me. I’d be glad to have you as a beta tester

2 Likes

Yay I’m a beta tester!!! It crashed just this morning, right before I sent that message actually. Also, I just tested filling in all the spaces with orbs (cus you’re testing something or something like that and the computer only plays once and then leaves you to just click to your hearts content), and when I set it off, it didn’t crash for me either. So I think it has something to do with the combination between the massive chain reaction and the computer simultaneously scanning and looking for a possible move in the midst of the changing landscape. Also in my test, I discovered that there is sometimes a glitch that prevents you from putting orbs inside of a certain cell (in this specific case, it was in the top row, second column). I don’t think the particular position matters, because it’s happened to me before. Sometimes it wont let you manually place an orb in the cell, but explosions will put an orb in the cell. Sometimes (like during this test), however, not even explosions will do it, but it appears to eventually fix itself (I don’t know exactly when it fixed itself, but it eventually did. It had only had one in it and I just looked and it had two).

Edit: You should also probably put some sort of label on the title screen so we know when you’re currently editing the game

2 Likes

I tested it too and the game just broke when the computer scans at the same time, not sure if it’s from that or if the orbs changing from enemy to yours is hard for it to handle idk yet. I have experienced the orbs not placing, but it normally fixes if you move the hand away then click somewhere else. Not sure how I could fix this, I think it’s just something with flowlab rendering clicks. Also I will add a label for when I’m editing the game

2 Likes

Ohhh, ok, so the game breaking isn’t just a me thing. Also, the not being able to click the orbs thing isn’t a huge deal, just something I felt I should bring to your attention. Also, as your official beta tester and bug hunter, I feel kinda bad, as it is now my job to literally point out everything that I find wrong with your game. But I must let you know that what you have done here is amazing, already. I’ve looked at your code and tried to make sense of it, and I have no idea how I would even begin making a game like this, lol. And, really, this kinda goes for all of your games. I don’t know how you make such good games, lol. Just wanna make sure you don’t ever feel like I’m saying your game is bad, lol

Edit: I just realized that when it does that clicking thing, it still takes your turn without actually placing anything, causing you to just lose the turn, which is slightly annoying
Cells in which I have noticed this happening (a-f indicate column number, from left to right, 1-9 indicate row number, from top to bottom):
b3, b1, e1, b5, e3

Another Edit: It seems that the computer always places its first move in cell b1 (first row, second column). Any idea why this is happening?

3 Likes