Chess Game (WIP)

I’m making a chess game, however, it’s not a regular chess game. Or it won’t be. When I’m done.
I plan to make a chess RPG, set in a fantasy world. Hopefully it’ll be cool, idk how long I will have the energy to work on this project. For now, I’m making the movement system and then I will start adding in the interesting stuff.

9 Likes

Ooooh I love this idea! I had thought about whether or not it would be possible to make a chess game a while back and determined that it would probably be really difficult to make (so instead I opted for an entirely randomly generated maze game…) I really hope you keep working on it!

2 Likes

Progress Screenshot:
Grass

Probably need to change sizes lol

3 Likes

You had me at RPG.
Can’t wait to see what you come up with :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Progress Screenshot

Right now I’m working on getting a playable part of the game done so there can be content right away :slight_smile:
I’ll most likely be going back quite a few times to optimize things, but it’s easier to make progress if I just get something down first

Edit: I am now realizing how fickin complicated the enemy ai will be, so ig I’ll be working on that for a while :’)

2 Likes

Update:
I DID IT
the code is very spaghetti, but I actually got the AI to work correctly. I have 1 layer of min-max for a pawn programmed out, but it has laid out the groundwork for the rest. I feel very accomplished!
The only bad thing is that I still have to figure out how combat will work exactly. Here are my two ideas:

• Normal chess attacked, pieces “insta-kill” each other. The benefit of this is my sanity, the ai will probably be easier to code and work better, and it will be more similar to actual chess. The difference from normal chess is the arrangement of pieces and number you get to start with etc. The downside is that there is less “rpg-ness” in it. Pieces would have static skills/abilities so the only way to progress is to get more pieces.
  • A more rpg type combat, where pieces have attack and health. I’m not sure exactly how this would work. Rooks and bishops have a long range so I’m not sure how that would work. A king might still be one-shot, I’m not sure how to handle that. The benefit of this system though is I think it would be pretty cool + I could add some cooler animations. In addition, leveling up pieces could increase their stats.

For now I’ll design it around a classic chess system, if you have any ideas please tell me

5 Likes

So the movement pattern of each piece could represent the attack range? Rook, bishop shoot horizontal/diagonal (archers), the Knight throws bombs?

But I see where that can get confusing :slight_smile: since pieces could walk out of the way. Or they are ‘stunned’ until the attacker gets hit by some other piece.

Oh the options ( and headache, haha )

2 Likes

You can always have knock-back if the pieces have health bars, so if I moved my rook to take a queen it would do some damage and move back two spaces diagonally from the queen

I may not have read long enough, but is this turn-based combat?

1 Like

Yes it will be turn based.
One thing I was thinking about is how in normal chess if you capture or “attack” a piece you run the risk of the attacking piece being attacked next turn.
The problem is that if pieces could just attack from across the board it would be pretty risk free.

I did have an idea, what if when a piece was attacked it took knockback instead of the attacking piece. That way the attacking piece still takes risk. But then if there was another piece in the way I’m not sure what would happen…

1 Like

That’s a good idea! I’d say that if there was another piece in the way it could be used as a barrier kinda similar to how you play checkers, so if you attacked a pawn but there is another piece behind it the pawn would get knocked back into the place pushing your attacking piece 1 space behind

1 Like

I think that’s a good idea!
I’m gonna have to spend a lot of time working on this :’)

1 Like

I think I have a general idea on how it would work
The only problem is knights, I think I might make them only a ranged piece
However, I think that they can shoot over pieces would be pretty powerful
Maybe I can just make it have low health

3 Likes

What about knights (horses)? I suppose they can just keep their normal jump like in a basic game of chess…?

3 Likes

I think I have a general idea on how it would work
The only problem is knights, I think I might make them only a ranged piece
However, I think that they can shoot over pieces would be pretty powerful
Maybe I can just make it have low health

I talked about that under the picture lol

3 Likes

Sorry I’m stupid, I completely skimmed over that and didn’t notice I just repeated what you said

1 Like

Alrighty, after a lot of hard work I have (something) of a working prototype. There are still some minor things I need to add like making sure the white pawns down move onto each other, improve the enemy ai, etc.
But for the most part the very basic of groundwork is done

2 Likes

(Me not knowing how to move)
(I found out how to move nvm)

2 Likes

WAIT THAT BATTLE THING IS AMAZING.

2 Likes

Wow, really good job! I love it already, lol. There were a couple of small issues during the battle (as is to be expected from a pre-prototype), such as the enemies eventually refusing to move, which just let me pummel them out of existence, and then there was also a small issue where one of my pawns went off of the board and then my king continually pounded an enemy pawn into the edge of the board, but the knockback made them kinda off-center from the squares.

Idk if you already knew about this, or if you even wanted to know, but I figured I’d tell you anyway. Overall though, I really like the concept and the system you currently have in place. Good job!

2 Likes

Thanks! I did notice some of the movements were off, I’m trying to figure out to fix it. I think there is also something wrong with the ai, It’s probably because locations need to be exact and precise for moves to work :confused:
It’s gonna be a long ride!

2 Likes