Chess Game (WIP)

ok I fixed it I think, I also made some code for the enemy king (I got stuck for a while because I forgot list modifiers don’t copy right :’) )

2 Likes

I tried to attack white but then my pieces disappeared

(idk how to play chess in any form)

3 Likes

Looks absolutely stunning, I love the style of it. Technically white should move first, but that’s fine.
[Edit] The “Black’s Turn” and “White’s Turn” should be more visable.

3 Likes

I’m going to guess that’s not supposed to happen…

I just clicked the pawn to attack the White pawn, then that came up.

3 Likes

yeah…

2 Likes

also I was just using that for testing, I’ll make something better soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok I actually figured it out I think, it’s because the “knock-back” checker is detecting a piece in the way. I guess I just forgot to finish programming that lol

I’m so stupid, I used the same message by accident so it just sends messages in a loop :’)

1 Like

TF2 reference

(never played it by the way)

2 Likes

Progress Screenshot:

After lots of testing I think I’ve fixed ALL the bugs!
There were quite a few stupid coding errors that I didn’t even notice lol.
I also got the ranged attacking for the knight to work. Most likely the next things I’ll work on are

• Ending battle when the king is dead
  • Enemy ai for several pieces
  • Adding a couple more battle situations

And once I get those I start working on a xp/leveling system most likely

I haven’t done anything very exciting in a while, but now that I’ve finished these small but important things I’ll be able to add more features in

5 Likes

It would cool if some of the levels were puzzles, so maybe it was something like a king and pawn endgame or a rook endgame (It might be hard because the pieces don’t work the exact same as chess, but should have some of the general principles)

3 Likes

Update screenshot:
Fire is gonna be a checkpoint/save spot.
It’s been a while, and tbh I’ve hardly made any progress. I did fix a lot of bugs once again though.
Next things on the checklist I think I’m gonna work on:

• exp / leveling at the end of a battle
  • more levels
  • enemy pieces in the grassy area disappearing if you defeat them

I wanted to know your opinion on how I should do leveling/exp. I was thinking each battle could be replayed to get a little bit of exp in case you get stuck. I was also thinking how xp should be assigned to individual pieces. Should it be equal between pieces, or based on how much that pieces did in the battle?

8 Likes

Personally, I think you should be able to replay battles for exp (obviously less exp, though) and I also think exp should be based on how much a specific piece did (perhaps it could have some link to piece “worth”, like pawns are valued less than a rook which, in turn, is valued less than a queen? You don’t have to do it, just a thought :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

That feels like it would be easy to grind, but it’s not necessarily a bad thing depending on how it works

5 Likes

Perhaps it would be exponentially less exp for each replay, so that eventually you are getting practically nothing and you are forced to move on

4 Likes

Just loaded a fight and all my pieces were gone, kinda makes the game
unplayable.

5 Likes

What most RPG games do is that you’ll need more and more EXP to level up, but enemies always drop the same amount of EXP, no matter how far into the game you are. That way, they don’t necessarily drop nothing at one point, but they do drop a minimal amount of EXP at higher levels. People can still use them to grind EXP, but it would take longer. So they would need to rely on stronger enemies to level up.

I prefer that system than completely making certain enemies valueless the more you fight them, because then they would just turn into an annoyance rather than something you can either tremble at the sight of or something you can use to get stronger.

4 Likes

did you go through a “new game” or did you press “resume” on the menu?

2 Likes

The link sends me to the Template, can you change it to the actual game? unless you’re working on something and want to announce it in an update.

2 Likes

I went through the resume.

2 Likes