Collision: All EXCEPT

Can you make it to where collisions set to Any Type can have an except drop down box in replacement of the darkened out any object

Basically it makes it to where every type of object except what its set to triggers the collision

@grazer

This would mean that you can make anything but something (like coins) turning jumps back on, so anything can make you jump, except for what you set it to not trigger

I’ll take a look to see what it would take to implement this.

This is why I don’t make coins solid and use a tiny proximity the size of the coin. It triggers the collision that allows you to jump again.

@grazer, alternative solution. Similar to select parent, how about “object group type”.
Click on the Select Group [+] plus button to create a new group.
After creating a group, assign any objects you want to associate to that group.
Unlike Parent, Group does not copy behaviors or anything.

Now allow collisions and proximity to identify groups.

If you make a group called ground, collision below on any object in the ground group will act as ground would. Touching coins and enemies will not reset your jump.

If you add a group for water, you can have all liquid objects act as water and parent with water.
Same goes for lava, spikes, and other types of objects like that.

Making a group for enemy would allow you to set any enemy object as enemy group, and collision with any enemy group could trigger health loss and knockback, or whatever you like.

Setting a group for door would allow all doors to trigger a behavior to the player, like a walking through door animation, or fade screen to black.

There are many kinds of possibilities, but adding groups for collision and proximity is much better than using “any” and trying to make exceptions, and much faster than making a collision behavior for each and every single object that should be in a group type.

Here’s an example of where it could go.
a

^^^^^^^^^^^^

@Latif3 is that upvoting my suggestion?

@“Mhx Ar” that idea semi-exists.

Just make a parent object, and have all the objects in the same group be its child object

@CrimsonBlackGames - could you get what you want by just making an object called “collidible” or something, then making all the objects you want to trigger collisions against have that as a parent somewhere in their parent hierarchy?

…and now I feel plain stupid @grazer

Gg

:stuck_out_tongue:

Is that how parent works? I was under the impression that when creating a parent child object, the child would duplicate the behaviors of the parent, for example if I had a walking enemy, and the walking enemy was the parent, if I made a flying enemy, the flying enemy would not fly because it would copy the behaviors of the parent object. Maybe I misunderstood how parent child objects work and need a better explanation.

Yeah, that’s how it works. In this case though, you wouldn’t need for the “Collidable” object to have any behaviors at all - it could just be used as way to organize objects.

I originally planned to add object groups (or tags), but after a lot of thought I Decided on “families” since it offers a lot more organizational options, and is also a way to re-use logic.

So parents pass down their genetics to the children, but the children can have unique traits. If the parent genes change, the passed genes change, but the child traits do not?

In that case, a talentless parent passes nothing to the children besides the name. This results in a tag group effect, with no further abilities between them.

Hey, that works for me. I won’t be able to use it, because all my enemy types will be unique, and I’ll be skeleton mapping, but it’s nice to know what it does now.

Make all the enemies children of a behaviorless object. And make it to where if the player touches that object, he feels pain. Because touching a child object triggers a collision set to the parent

If I damage the parent, does it damage the children?

Things that happen to the parent object do not necessarily happen to the children.

For instance, if you sent a message to the parent, the children also receive the message

Colliding with the parent, will not do anything to the child, and vice versa.

A collision set to the parent can be triggered by a child and the parent, but a collision to the child can only be triggered by the child and its children.

Hope that clarifies it