Forever Night - Vampire Game! (WIP) | Small Update! -- Health Regeneration

What if the villagers had a 69% chance of being resurrected as vampires if the graves spawn? Additionally, replacing the “Work in Progress Game” in this topic’s title with “Vampire Game” might draw more attention.

2 Likes

No thanks, that’s not how vampires work in folklore, you’re thinking of zombies.

Though, in some series like Twilight vampires turn other beings into vampires by the bite.

Thanks for the title suggestion, will do.

3 Likes

According to most “modern” vampire lore, a person can only be “turned” into a vampire if they are bitten by a vampire and also drink the vampire’s blood. And even then, they don’t usually fully “turn” unless they “feed” on others after.

I’m sure someone could probably come up with a switch and logic gate sequence for that… LOL… but we are arguing about fictional characters here. And my take on that has always been that the writer of the story gets to make the rules.

If the writer says a wooden stake to the heart kills the vampire, then a wooden stake to the heart kills the vampire. If the writer says that the vampire must be beheaded, then it must be beheaded. So on and so forth when it comes to other options like burning the corpse, whether the vampire is harmed by silver, garlic, sunlight, holy water, etc.

The one who writes the story, writes the rules. And those rules can only be changed by the writer.

3 Likes

I was forced to read bram stokers Dracula and what I heard was that holy objects such as communion wafers usually burned the vampires to the tough. Garlic I think was more of a repellent that didn’t actually hurt them, but could affect them somehow.
Vampires could also go into sunlight, but they have no powers at all so they usually sleep in coffins full of dirt from Transylvania (I think) and the wake at sundown.
The only way to actually kill them was to surround their coffin with garlic and communion wafers, then decapitate them along with a stake through the heart. Then maybe burning if the body afterwards if they were a newer vampire. Ones that have been alive longer than an average human lifetime usually crumble to ash since they revert back to a human corpse. They also drink blood to remain youth so they do age without drinking blood and possibly could die of old age from it.
But the again you are right, it usually depends on how the writing creates strengths and weaknesses on creatures like this and the creature was created by a writer in the first place so technically you can create your own versions or features to fit the story.

3 Likes

Yep, it depends on the lore. Both vampires and zombies are supposed to be undead creatures. The difference is that vampires are usually still sentient, retaining their original memories and personality traits, whereas zombies are supposed to be mindless creatures operating only on base instincts.

As both creatures can be considered unholy and unnatural, it’s possible that any holy objects could harm them. But that all comes down to the actual lore being used. In some lore, holy relics and objects do not harm undead creatures at all, because they are considered to be outside of the realm of “holy vs. unholy” - that is, they are neither inherently good nor evil, but rather something in between.

Decapitation is almost a universally acceptable way to kill a vampire in most lore, though some stories show them as having restorative powers that could potentially allow them to sew their own heads back on. LOL. A stake through the heart is also a viable alternative in other lore, as the creature is fed by blood and requires a working heart in order to stay “alive-ish”.

In most lore, garlic is mostly just a repellant, and not fatal. Sunlight can range anywhere from mildly uncomfortable to instantly fatal. And yes, in most vampire lore, not drinking blood can cause the vampire to starve to death.

(I’m still wondering how most of the zombies in series like The Walking Dead are able to survive without eating anything for years on end, but that’s a different discussion… and still, ultimately, the writer gets to make the rules)

2 Likes

Yeah, it all usually depends on how exactly the writer determines how the creature reacts or it’s relationships to specific weaknesses.
I also figured vampires for more evil in a demonic way along with the idea of being undead which the demonic part could explain the fact of holy objects harming them, but then again it could depend on the writer wanting to incorporate religion into folklore creatures.
Zombies are hard to exactly determine what they are supposed to be, but the movie I am Legend explains them on a unique way were it started as a virus that was capable of infecting the mind of people like a parasite and then taking control over major motor functions of the host and creating what you know as a zombie, but can still be treated from a vaccine. Although I don’t know how exactly they stayed alive since they go months on end without food, but they could eat animals or livestock, maybe each other for possible nutrients, but most details like this are usually left out in most stories so there really isn’t much of a way of describing how zombies stay alive. Then again it’s up for the author to determine minor details like that to keep the idea interesting.

2 Likes

The kind of scary part is that “zombies” are actually possible in reality. Rabies for example…

Though they would ultimately still need a food source of some kind. Life cannot survive for long without consuming something.

The idea of vampirism is certainly more demonic in nature, as it’s usually a conscious choice, though some lore has it transmittable like a disease… and usually the unwilling victims “try” not to drink blood in the beginning, until they are overcome by their “thirst”.

One of the games I intend to create in the near future will incorporate all sorts of fictional creatures borrowed from multiple sources of lore. I’ll decide myself how each species came into being, and how each creature can be killed. The more undead-ish type of creatures will be slightly more complicated to put down than your typical run of the mill goblin or giant rat. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

DinoDev, vampire media with information could be JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure (only part 1 and 2), Castlevania, and who knows how many retellings of Dracula.

2 Likes

There’s also vampire lore in Elder Scrolls games, D&D, Ann Rice novels, Van Helsing, Blade, 30 Days of Night, The Lost Boys, Underworld, True Blood, Supernatural, etc. etc. (modern interpretations).

Then there’s all the historical lore from different cultures, many of whom believed that they were very real creatures. Most modern vampire lore is based on southeast European folklore (Transylvania area, obviously), but many cultures around the world had their own versions of blood drinking monsters.

2 Likes

I’ve mostly been looking through historical vampire lore from Romania.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s where you’ll find most of it. There are even people living there today who still believe in vampires.

3 Likes

Vampires were real, not biologically or anything, and they still are. Search how many vampires there are in the U.S…

Also, Vlad the Impaler was one of the first vampires, he fought in war and developed a taste for blood. He wasn’t actually a vampire like the myths describe vampires as, but he was the closest.

2 Likes

People who drink blood are real, yes. But I don’t think any of them gained any magical abilities or eternal youth from doing so. :smirk:

3 Likes

would be pretty awesome though haha

1 Like

I think if it was that easy, cannibalism would be rampant. :grimacing:

1 Like

true.

1 Like

Blood donation banks would be converted into “health and beauty spas” :rofl:

“Don’t worry about aging, come on down and drink a couple pints of blood and you can live forever!”

Yikes!

2 Likes

Sounds like a bad infomercial for human blood and mummy dust (Yes, that is a real thing, search it up)

3 Likes

I searched “blood and dust” videos and found something completely different instead (something I’m actually glad I watched)… documentary about air medics saving lives in war zones.

I’m not sure I’d want to watch the one you’re talking about.

2 Likes

No, I learned that some people take mummies and turn them into dust to sell as a skin product :upside_down_face:

2 Likes