🚀 GALACDRIVE thread (OUT NOW ON APP STORE AND GOOGLE PLAY!)!

Yep, it was being edited. It should work now, but if the game doesn’t start just reload the page.

It turns out, making the controllers destroy themselves in the game end can make flowlab accidentally perma-delete those modules without editing the game. I’m currently coming up with a fix, but again the game should be playable now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

trying to get 400 but the highest i got was 353

4 Likes

man, i think sup3r upped the difficulty, i can no longer get past 400 lightyears like i could consistently before

3 Likes

Nope! Nothing’s been adjusted. Its just the fact that RNG spawns asteroids and you can get unlucky. I just got a run of 436 earlier today :slight_smile:

4 Likes

since last week:
-updated the “text artstyle”; all text now has an extra pixel “shadow” to portray 3D text and just genuinely make it look better. all UI sprites recieved this redesign.
-pickup sprites for powerups also recieved this redesign.
-updated the asteroid sprites to look much less awful.
-added a warp effect for bosses when they get implemented.
-added the pause menu. It can be activated by pressing P or the pause button and freezes the game. it also gives you options to control the audio. these audio controls are still work in progress and will be done next update. WARNING: due to flowlab’s limitations, pausing the game will throw the audio off for a few seconds before it returns to normal.
-added the pause instructions to the tutorial sprite at the start of the game.
-redid the animations for all buttons in the game.
-added “tech augments” that fly from the player during death to fight against the situation where the player dies and the parts fly in the wrong directions.
-finally added logan’s icon to the credits - we found the one symbol that represents him on the internet at all
-experimented with adjusting the exhaust trail effects to add a spray, but it looked terrible so I didn’t move along with it.
-added particle effects to the death screen to snazz it up.

-classes are ramping up due to finals, so me and logan have been working a little slowly lately. please bare with us! Next up is fully implementing the pause screen, and doing final ironing, and maybe finally beginning to add bosses!

8 Likes

i beat my high score :heart:

5 Likes

Hey everyone!

I’m preparing for my final ACT test before school ends and subsequently figuring out a summer work cycle. Due to these things I’m not gonna post an update this week, but I can trust you that it’s in good faith and big stuff is underway :slight_smile: . I’ve been doing lots of planning on multiple levels, and there’s now a fully functional pause menu and saveable buttons. of course there’s way more but that’ll all be announced next week. stay tuned and have a good day!!

6 Likes

Staying tuned. I wish you good luck with school and a good day too!

4 Likes

BRO
Are you sure this is a flowlab game this does not even look like one
EPIC :star_struck:

5 Likes

thank you very much! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

since last 2 weeks:
took a gap “time period” due to bumblings and crumblings, but no worries, I’m back in business with tons of cool new stuff!
-pause screen COMPLETELY done. the pause function fully works, with a warning sign for music throwoff.
-all buttons now save even after you close the game. this way, settings can now be meddled with in the pause menu.
-all audio settings now work - a lot was done to make them load without causing the “noise blip” that happens occasionally. it was a lot harder than i wish it was lol.
-ALL objects are now under a strict and organized layering system. this took way too long, a trip to millers for post it notes, revisions, almost permanently damaging my desk with ink, and two headaches, but it’s now all done and i can work knowing i never have to worry about it again.
-logan has finished the first half of the main soundtrack, extending the music from 32 seconds to 96. you can listen to it here, i uploaded it to youtube: (UNFINISHED) GALACDRIVE main theme [first half] - YouTube
-finished a final boss sketch and concept art and sent it to logan. detailed musical plans were also shared.
-fixed an issue with the buttons “off” colors being slightly mismatched.
-made the particles for the death screen much more frequent.
-a screenshake system was implemented to give weapons that extra “punch”. it worked a little too well. please tell me if the shake is too intense.
-more infrastructure on bosses, including background color shift, final boss background (being redone later), and a randomized boss spawner.
-shield and superlaser got slight sprite reworks.
-made the pause button reload so you can’t cause the glitch:tm: anymore.
-worked on a better sound effect system - its more modular but easier on the eyes and to work with. still being worked on.
-attempted to add “motion lines” but it turned out they just added clutter and made the game harder to look at.
-FINALLY fixed that stupid shield bug where going from 0 to 1 shield and getting hit during shield bar’s appearance animation would freeze said animation and squish the bar.
-started work on a timing system to spawn bosses and stuff; turns out this is much harder than it should be due to pause menu and timer shenanigans.
-made the scoring numbers neater by making them slightly resize when changing, and going from gray to white when going from 0 to 1.
-next up: working on a timing system to defy the pause menu, better sound effects, and then bosses can finally start getting implemented!

3 Likes

3 Likes

PUBLIC NOTE:
GALACDRIVE has now added a leaderboard. This was happily only a few-hour job. The previously available dev cheats have been removed. Go out there and get yourself on the board!!

5 Likes

since last week:
-added a few “immune timers” to the game for certain things. This means that all pause button problems are solved, which is a headache I am very glad to be done with.
-added all sound effects to the game; sounds exist for powerups, damage, shield, healing, and death. -added a leaderboard; since flowlab’s addition of a leaderboard system I quickly added one to my game. I’ve also adjusted it’s code a bit to make it work better.
-removed the dev cheat keys to prevent people cheesing the leaderboard.
-fixed numerous issues with buttons and other weird issues I caused by myself unknowingly.
-added a “darken” that happens to most of the game when it’s paused so the pause UI clashes less with the game itself.
-started working on boss fights! I’m currently working on implementing xenith, one of the simplest of the ten bosses in the cast. I plan on completely finishing xenith, which will give me the foundation to add the other nine much faster.
-added a warp effect to the player and xenith when both enter the game scene.
-used sine waves to make smooth boss movement - this stuff proves to be extremely useful!
-gave xenith a subtle animation
-talked with logan about the game music - we shared our recent accomplishments with each other and I gave logan some advice with the music.
-did a “”“performance test”"" to see how the game runs under pressure (totally didnt spawn four hundred xeniths)
-added a flash effect when bosses spawn for the green-to-red background transition.
-made the obstacle spawner immediately stop when a boss is active
-started working on a system to auto spawn xenith to the music
I’ve got a vacation coming up very soon but I’m hoping it doesn’t stop me from making this game! Working on bosses has been very fun and I can’t wait to complete xenith and finally begin to paint the picture of what this game is about. Stay tuned!

6 Likes

since last week:
-first boss fight added! The first complete boss, xenith, fires slowly and it’s intentional. Xenith spawns at lightyear 64. Bosses will get harder, and I’ve got many plans to make bosses challenging.
-added a health system for bosses. Different powerups do different damage to them.
-the player shoots projectiles automatically when bosses are active; bosses have 100 health and each shot deals 5.
-finished adding a boss bar to display rough health of all bosses. This bar behaves like the player’s, with animations included!
-added a short flash to bosses when they take damage.
-gave xenith it’s attacks, involving sets of three projectiles from different locations.
-added “shards” that xenith emits on death, just like the player.
-added screen flashes when bosses spawn or die.
-did some major tweaks to collision logic so powerups interact with bosses correctly.
-powerups can damage bosses - capital cannon, as mentioned earlier in the logs, is an excellent boss buster and deals 70 damage on hit. Giganuke and superlaser will also destroy boss projectiles. Keep in mind that these weapons in the full game are unlocked later in a run.
-added a short boss name “sign” when bosses spawn.
Keep in mind that as my vacation goes on, logs may be shorter than usual. I still have more to iron out and implement before the whole “bosses foundational work” is done, but feel free to enjoy the xenith boss in the meantime! Thank you!!

6 Likes

Xenith looks like the player so much that its like either an evolved PokĂ©mon or the player’s parent [lol]

3 Likes

There’s some lore about that! My old game, galacticos, is the prequel to this one. The player is actually flying a stolen ship from the same faction that the boss belongs too; this is why the ships look similar.

6 Likes

Vergil Dmc5 GIF - Vergil Dmc5 GIFs
Nice and interesting lore!

4 Likes

I got written lore about all upcoming bosses so i’ll include them in updates when they’re first mentioned. Thanks for the idea!!

5 Likes

Poggers. You’re welcome!

4 Likes