Galaxian Reviews - Submit Your Games and See my Reviews

I’m not sure if galaxian is running this anymore, but I guess its worth a try.

3 Likes

Whoops! I just realized this was a week old. Sorry about that! >.<"

Anyways, I might try to open up this thread to reviews again. I initially stopped because I was behind in school and had to focus on academics. Luckily, time and effort pays off, because I finished the year strong. Now that it is summer, I can try to squeeze in some time for reviewing games, though I cannot guarantee that I will finish it quickly.

Thank you for the submission @The_KWASM. I will try to get the review in as fast as possible. As for anyone else who submitted a game to this thread back when it was still up and running: I can still review your game if you ask me to do so.

4 Likes

No problem, I just thought your rating system was superb so I wanted to shoot my shot.

2 Likes

Trash VS Cash - By @The_KWASM

Review of Gameplay - Huh? Where is the title? I don’t see it anywhere. It must have gone off for a lunch break. Anyways, I managed to use trash bags and those cloaked creatures to defeat the enemies that were coming on screen. Not much to really say about the game other than it appears to be a tower defense game that closely resembles Plants VS Zombies.

Pros:

• Good song choice for the game, even if they are default songs for Flowlab.
  • A simple concept for a game.

Cons:

• Some players may want a tutorial. Or at least know what each of the “towers” can do.
  • So many enemies spawn at the same time, and since they all have so much health, they are quite tedious to defeat.

Art: [3] The art isn’t that well made, and the trash can tower uses one of the default sprites. Luckily, the art is not completely terrible, as it seems that there are plenty of good looking objects in this game.
Sound: [4] Even though the music is provided by Flowlab, it fits in well with the game. The sound effects are used pretty well, too.
Story: [X] This game contains no story, so this category will not be graded, nor included in the final grade.
Entertainment: [4] I have played a lot of tower defense style games (Bloons Tower Defense 6 is my current favorite), and I am a fan of the game genre. This game, despite being really repetitive at times, can be a lot of fun if you enjoy these types of games.
Originality: [2] This game seems and feels exactly the same as Plants VS Zombies, but unique enough in a way that it becomes it’s own experience. And I am talking about how the enemies aren’t just one specific species, and that the “plants” are replaced with garbage.
Difficulty: [3] This game is a mixture of very simplistic to frustratingly difficult. We don’t really get any hints as to what each tower does unless we actually begin to use it. The cloaked creatures (which now I just realized are “Faulty Salesmen”) seem to be the only source of money in the game, and they produce it slow. And finally, the enemies just have too much health for the numbers that they appear in. I nearly lost one round because there were so many Blue Orcs on top of each other, that it would take so many bullets just to eliminate one, and then watch as the rest tear down your defenses.

Total Score 3.2 / 5
Good work on this game, Lexmaier06. I have played this game before in the distant past, but never really paid much attention to the game until now. Though I will say that this game is good where it is, it needs some improvements on things like art, difficulty, and gameplay. This game has the potential to become a recognizable addition to the tower defense genre of games.

Congratulations, and thank you for your submission!

6 Likes

You actually reviewed it dang, You went all out and I thank you, i’ve just recently been redoing most things and is nowhere near done. But like great recommendations. (World 1 is the only world that is actually complete.)
But yet again thanks for the ideas.

4 Likes

This may be my best game ever. It certainly has the most replay-value out of any games I made afterwards. Could you please review it?

Forum link with extra information and memes
Taile Gamougg 3: Arguably the greatest Flowlab skeleton

2 Likes

Sure thing @_GAMOOG! I’ll review it as soon as I can.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

@BitWit

1 Like

: | ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ

1 Like

Taile Gamougg 3: Journey Through the Land of Blocks - By @_GAMOOG

Review of Gameplay - Initially, the game started off easy to understand, but the more I played through it, the more I had absolutely no idea where to go. The first few levels were easy to understand, but the “Nether” levels seemed like some kind of invisible maze. I played for around 20 minutes before giving up and resorting to skipping levels through the game editor.

Pros:

• Encourages level creation with the “Forge” levels. Sweet!
  • Simple gameplay, and not too difficult (for the Overworld and End levels).
  • The basic controls are easy to use.

Cons:

• Nether levels are very confusing.
  • I can’t tell which objects are background and which ones are game layer.
  • Remember how I said that the basic controls are easy to use? Well, the problem is that there seem to be so many of them, and with so many functions.

Art: [2] - I can tell which art belongs to you and which ones don’t. The ones that are made by you are not bad. It is clear, however, that a lot of objects throughout the game have art taken from other media, like Minecraft and anime. A lack of animations, plus the fact that I can’t tell which objects are background or game layer, also brought down the grade.
Sound: [5] - Not much to say about the sound other than how well it was used, and a wide variety of sound effects were used. Some are taken from other media, but they seem to be royalty free, and you credited them, which is good.
Story: [?] - I have a feeling that there is a story here, but I can’t tell… Because of this, this won’t be included in the final grade.
Entertainment: [4] - The game isn’t exactly “fun” in the way that people would thoroughly enjoy playing it all the time, but since you are allowing creativity with the Forge levels, some people may come back to this game occasionally to create their own levels and play the game they want it to.
Originality: [3] - This game seems to be based on Minecraft and Halo (if the player decides to press ENTER). But, since gameplay is different, and since you tried to make this game be its own thing, I decided to give this one a higher grade.
Difficulty: [4] - This game has some challenge and some relaxing bits. It is not too difficult and not too easy. Normally, this would have been a 5, but the Nether levels brought the grade down to a 4. Because, as stated in the ART category, I can’t tell which objects are background or game layer, so most of my gameplay there consisted of blindly jumping, hoping that I would not fall into one of the hazards, and also hoping I don’t bump into any enemies. That is the other problem, actually: the enemies don’t really feel like enemies. They just seem like hazards that you can destroy with your gun, and that is it. This game would feel the same without them, honestly.

Total Score: 3.6 / 5
Good work on this game, Gamoog. As with every other game that I have reviewed thus far, this has the potential to become a very well crafted game. Unfortunately, art and originality are big downfalls to this game’s glory, and memes alone won’t be enough to restore it. I’d suggest make enemies do something, make background objects appear more distant (my suggestion is to back them seem darker if they are similar to a game layer object), and practice making your own art instead of using others’.

5 Likes

Thank you, and you’re welcome. Additionally, thank you for your ideas and feedback! This will help me make this game better and create much better games ahead! Also, if you’re up for it, try this game (especially the Nether levels) with DOOM music playing in another tab. This helps me feel unstoppable while playing and I hope it can help you and other people too!

2 Likes

I think I submitted it before but you might not have gotten to it.

4 Likes

I have no idea how you’re making such good reviews so fast. A review would be very cool!

3 Likes

Serenity - By @AbstractGallery (although @meburningslime submitted the game, I think he helped build the game too)

Review of Gameplay - It appears that this game is supposed to be a rage game, but so far, no raging has happened. As a normally calm individual, I see this as a good thing. Aaaand I just fell several hundred meters from the sky and lost a bunch of progress. Aaaand it just happened again. This is a difficult game, but it appears that this should be the case. Aaaand I fell aga- wait, I just fell into a new area entirely. Maybe this is an alternate path? Ah crud, I fell all the way back down to the bottom of the level. I’ll do what the narrator suggested and take a short break.

Pros:

• Simple gameplay

Cons:

• Not really much to do other than try to get to the goal and not fall off. Hence is why there are so little pros compared to the previous games.
  • “You beat the game, after trial and error, time and time again, every fall. You didn’t cheat, and you are an incredible person.” Except I literally went to the editor just to see what the “thumbnail” level was all about. Now I can’t reset my cheated clear. It would have been funnier if the game taunted you for skipping through the editor, just like PixelPizza does with Stacey.
  • I’m not really impressed with its overdependency on wall-hugging and wall-climbing. While Taile Gamougg 3: Journey Through the Land of Blocks also included points where this was a problem, at least it was not a core gameplay necessity.

Art: [3] - Personally, I am not a fan of chunky pixels, but at least this game’s art isn’t a pain in the eyes, or taken from other people.
Sound: [2] - Outside of PixelPizza’s game Tonight and my own game Porky’s Nightmare, I have not yet played a game here that uses a voice, even though this one is text-to-speech. But other than that, the game is boringly quiet for most of the time.
Story: [X] - This game contains no story, and therefore won’t be included in the final grade.
Entertainment: [3] - Just a simple platformer where you have to get to the goal while trying not to fall off each time. There isn’t really much else to do, and while it seems that the game encourages you to try again to get as many clears as possible, it doesn’t feel accomplishing enough. Admittedly, the one clear that I got was a cheated one, since I went through the editor, but imagine if someone spent close to an hour trying to parkour their way all the way to the sky to get 1 point and nothing else.
Originality: [4] - The game admits that it is based off of Jump King, which itself is based off of Getting Over It. But the experience different nonetheless.
Difficulty: [2 or 4] - Honestly don’t know what to grade this. The gameplay is simple and easy to understand, but it is frustratingly difficult. I didn’t exactly rage, as in resorting to yelling or chucking random objects across the room, but I did get very annoyed every time I missed a jump. Especially if it is the same jump. I can tell this is meant to be a rage game, however. So, this is probably the first time that I make a review with two possible total scores.

Total Score: 2.8 OR 3.2 / 5
This is an “okay” from me, AbstractGallery and Meburningslime. I wouldn’t say that this was a wasted effort, or that this is a bad game. Quite the opposite, actually. I can see what you guys are trying to do, but I am not impressed with the result. This game needs major improvements on art, sound, entertainment, and maybe difficulty.

Better luck next time, and thank you for your submission!

~ A quick note before I move on with the next review:

If you submit a game here, even though that game does not belong to you, I will assume that you and the game’s original creator collaborated to create the project. As a result, you will be included in the review, whether or not you actually participated. While I don’t know if Meburningslime actually helped in the creation of Serenity, since he was the one who submitted it, I am assuming (so far) that he participated in its development. Therefore, this review was for both him and AbstractGallery.

This warrants a disclaimer: if you didn’t participate in the creation of a game, please say so in the comment unless you also want to be given the same criticism.

7 Likes

That’s true: you did submit the game before, but I went on a hiatus and never got to the review. Thank you and @F3Art for resubmitting your games. I will try to get to them as fast as possible.

5 Likes

I’ll… Just take the dub of making bitwit have ptsd. “Mediocre” is not something that anybody wants. There’s nothing I can possibly do to improve on the game, so I guess I’ll just move on…

4 Likes

Rise - By @Johnny_boy

Review of Gameplay - I had already played Rise before, and my goodness, what a masterpiece. Congratulations on getting it featured, by the way! I like all the art, the music, the sound, the controls… everything! This game is great and deserves the position it received.

Pros:

• Music is fantastic!
  • Art is expertly created!
  • High replayability value.

Cons:

• Sometimes tedious with those appearing spikes, which requires memorization. This sometimes doesn’t mix well with the fact that there are lots of other hazards thrown in the mix.

Art: [5] - The art gives me nostalgia to when I would play games on my iPod. This game deserves recognition for a unique artstyle I have not yet seen on Flowlab. Perfect score!
Sound: [5] - The song selection that you have made is amazing. I am not a huge fan of TheFatRat, but you clearly have chosen good soundtracks for this game. Another perfect score!
Story: [X] - This game contains no story, and therefore won’t be included in the final grade.
Entertainment: [5] - This game has a high replayability value, as its songs are catchy, contains a leaderboard, and contains a shop. I have come back to this game time and time again just to experience all of this again. Another perfect score!
Originality: [5] - This game reminds me a lot of Geometry Dash. But reminders alone are not enough to bring this grade down, unless they seem very obvious. This game is unique in almost every way possible. Another perfect score!
Difficulty: [4] - Sadly, this is where the perfect score streak ends. While the overall difficulty of the game is just fine (mixture of easy and hard), what really brought the grade down were those spikes that appear only when you are close enough. Often times, they appear at a timing where I can not possibly react fast enough to not fail. This is especially concerning when you move at a faster speed. Either they should appear faster, or there should be a quick indicator as to where they might appear. I’m probably asking for too much, but this is just my experience and opinion.

Total Score: 4.8 / 5
Impressive work with the game, Johnny Boy! Once again, congratulations on getting it featured. The only complaint I have against the game are those reappearing spikes, but other than that, this is a masterpiece. I will definitely come back to this game every now and then. And, actually, this could be a great opportunity at putting the game on other platforms other than Itch. I remember someone recommending Cool Math. Perhaps that is something you are interested in?

6 Likes

Thank you so much for the review! I never realized the spikes were so hard to avoid. I will make sure to make it easier.

Also I contacted coolmathgames, but they never sent me an email back so I will try some other websites.

Let me know if you have any websites to recommend!

Again I really appreciate the review!

5 Likes

@MetaNinja taile gamougg 3: Journey Through the Land of Blocks does have a story, just like all the other Gamougg games. It just isn’t shown in the game because I had no idea how to put it in the game at the time (and I barely do now). The story of all three games in the original trilogy is explained here. For future reference, all of the original Gamougg Trilogy titles are not capitalized, except for the subtitle (like Journey Through the Land of Blocks for example).

3 Likes