Galaxian Reviews - Submit Your Games and See my Reviews

If he’s doing it in order of submission, I think that would be me next.

1 Like

Correct, I will do reviews in order of submission. That means that, the next reviews are:

1. Flappy Bird Neon - AbstractGallery
  2. Notes and Waves - meburningslime
  3. LukeW’s game (didn’t check the title yet…)
  4. Flee - ManiacPumpkin
  5. Bounce Jam - Crigence
  6. Rail Back Home - wibu_s_game
  7. August Silence (Demo) - F3Art
4 Likes

The four are the first ones to be reviewed!

+Luke lol

2 Likes

To everyone who are currently waiting for their reviews, I am terribly sorry that I have failed to review all of them within the weekend. The last few days have taken all of my focus away from Flowlab and onto school, so I was unable to play any games. Hopefully I will be able to review your games this weekend. Thank you for your patience.

3 Likes

Join me, and together we can be the masters of delayed reviews :joy:

3 Likes

jk, a week is not so bad compared to what’s happened to mine

1 Like

I made this for my game jam, it has been modified since (also no I didn’t win)

Flappy Bird Neon Remake - By @AbstractGallery

Review of Gameplay - I spent like 5 minutes trying to figure out how to ACTUALLY start the game. Like I am clicking so many times, and the pipes wouldn’t spawn. So I took to the editor to see what was going on. Turns out I need to use spacebar. Looks like mobile players are gonna have some issues with this game… Also, the jumping mechanics were rather frustrating, but definitely doable. I managed to rack up a high-score of 7 points. Not bad for a guy who never really played Flappy Bird before.

Pros:

• What are these visuals? They look EPIC! Neon is a good name for this game.
  • This game stays true to the original Flappy Bird.
  • We get to choose our difficulty, allowing us to decide how the pace of the game is going to be.

Cons:

• As I said, the jumps are bad, but doable. I never played the original Flappy Bird, but I doubt it was this hard.

Art: [4] Even though none of this art is technically yours, you managed to improve upon it with rainbow graphics.
Sound: [4] This music is groovy, and the sound effects are once again accurate to the original game. Although I wish there were more diverse sound effects and music. It just gets repetitive with time…
Story: [X] This game contains no story, so this category will not be graded, nor included in the final grade.
Entertainment: [5] With a high score system and everything, this is going to make people come back to try to beat their high-score. Who know, maybe a sort of leaderboard could be made to display people with the highest score?
Originality: [2] Flappy Bird was a game that was already made, so this game is DEFINETELY considered a fan-game. But, to be fair, you made this game specifically for a Flappy Bird Remake Gamejam, so I decided to be a bit nicer with the grading.
Difficulty: [4] The ability for the player to choose the difficulty they play on is nice, but the terrible jumping/flapping mechanics makes the game a bit harder than the original (I think). But, as I said, it is still doable.

Total Score: 3.8/5
Good work on this game, AbstractGallery. Even though this game is technically not your idea, you managed to take the original Flappy Bird and make some adjustments, which I think is great. The one problem is the jumping/flapping. Fall too fast and you can’t flap that high. Flap too quickly and you shoot into the sky like a rocket. But even if this makes the game harder, this doesn’t make it impossible, and that is good.

Congratulations, and thank you for your submission!
@meburningslime, you’re next.

1 Like

57852f050992608fd333477e3eff2097
Lol jk, thanks for reviewing all these games

3 Likes

@MetaNinja, thanks for the feedback and I really appreciate this thank you!

1 Like

@MetaNinja I might have another game for you to review, but I’ll wait until the list gets a bit shorter, lol.

1 Like

Okay, @ManiacPumpkin. Just as a reminder, your game will be reviewed after LukeW’s game. I can only hope that I’ll be able to get there by Sunday.

1 Like

It’s okay. The game that I submitted is kinda short anyway and I made it for the 2021 flowjam so you shouldn’t have much of an issue with it, lol.

1 Like

No harm meant to any other reviewers lol, it’s just a meme and I don’t really believe it anyways
4wvb9t

One I finish Boombox, believe me it’ll be here

Notes and Waves - By @meburningslime

Review of Gameplay - Now, I do not have epilepsy or anything like that, but that theme background really hurts my eyes. I had to turn to full-screen in order to make sure my brain doesn’t explode. Now then, now that my eyes are completely safe, I should say that the intro is REALLY well made. As I entered the game select, I tried to see what level I should start off with. And my goodness, you chose good songs. I decided to start with Highscore by Panda Eyes. I gave up immediately after I failed. So I went to Space Invaders by Teminite and MDK. I tried Nitro Fun’s music as well.

Pros:

• Nice songs/music!
  • Lots of color…
  • There is the potential of replayability.

Cons:

• The particles move fast for the game screen size. Too fast.
  • If you drag your mouse off-screen, you can cheat the entire level by staying there and watching the pellets get shot by Stormtroopers.
  • If players choose not to exploit the bug I mentioned above, they are barely given enough time to tell what is coming at them before they get hit by a random pellet.

Art: [4] The intro is very well done, and the icons for the levels are also good. The colors that flash in the background are good too… but the Theme background kills my eyes every time I exit full-screen.
Sound: [5] You picked very great music to play in this game. Sound effects probably would have interrupted the music. Although I wish the death sound was a bit less… anticlimactic…
Story: [X] This game contains no story, so this category will not be graded, nor included in the final grade.
Entertainment: [3] Even though this game has the potential for replayability, there is just too little stuff to replay. Only 3 complete levels, and two levels that have nothing. (See Difficulty for more information)
Originality: [1] Even though you claim to have come up with the idea of shapes that move to the music first, with the existence of Just Shapes and Beats, and how closely similar to each other those games are (such as the colors of the player and hazards, as well as the overall gameplay), I am not convinced. Even the title makes it look like a JSAB fan-game.
Difficulty: [3] This game is difficult. Too difficult. As mentioned in the cons, the projectiles move too fast for their game screen size. I barely have any time to react before my character is pummeled. This is what drove me away from the game the first time I played it nearly 6 months ago, after the Summer Jam 2020. I recommended at the time that the player should have at least has some time to see what happened before they have to try again, but now that I replayed the game, I think that more needs to be done to prevent your players from rage quitting the game, wondering how they are supposed to avoid ninja pellets. And I doubt most people would want to return, knowing they cannot learn from their mistakes this time, because the mistakes are never clear.

Total Score: 3.2/5
Good work on this game, meburningslime. While this game does have potential to be a fun fan-game for Just Shapes and Beats, it is lacking some of the fun from that game. As a JSAB player who has played the game for almost 9 months now, it just doesn’t feel the same way. What I would do is add some more ways that players don’t die over and over again because their mistakes are not clear. For example, don’t pause the game when they die, increase the game screen size (or make the projectiles a bit slower), or give warnings showing where the lightspeed pellets are coming from. As I said, the game has potential, but is lacking some important features.

Congratulations, and thank you for your submission!

2 Likes

I also would like to take into account on what the total score means.

So in terms of the individual categories, the following numbers mean:
5 - Excellent
4 - Good
3 - Neutral
2 - Bad
1 - Poor

In terms of the total score, the following numbers mean:
5 - Perfect
4 - 4.9 - Impressive
3 - 3.9 - Good
2 - 2.9 - Okay…
1 - 1.9 - Needs improvement
0 - 0.9 - Needs COMPLETE redo (virtually impossible to get, based on grading algorithm)

While a 3.2 or a 3.8 in the total score might seem bad, it isn’t considered bad in this review thread. So try not to freak out if you get a 3 or something like that.

So think of 5 as an S rank, 4 as an A rank, 3 as a B rank, 2 as a C rank, and 1 as a D rank (0 would be F rank, but it is impossible to get).

1 Like

Ooh! I’m loving the grading system here. Do you take private reviews through DM’s? I may want to submit Boombox before the full release.

1 Like

Yes, private reviews are allowed. However, it is unlikely to be reviewed very quickly, to encourage people to post their game publicly here. In some cases though, like wanting to see what I think of a game before it is publicly released (such as yours), private reviews are welcome.

1 Like

Ok sounds good. I Just want to keep it a private side project till’ the full release.

1 Like