How do I become better than you? [solved?]

I want to be the supreme Flowlab user so that people will stop treating me like a joke. Please show me how I can make more examples and overall be a better Flowlab user.

3 Likes

This is a misconception that Flowlab is all there is. You also don’t need to be the “best”, whatever that means to a game developer.

You simply need to make games, because it’s why you are here. And to make games, you need to learn how to make games. This means learning what works and what doesn’t, and that’s exactly what you’ve been doing.

In short, greatness doesn’t come in a day. You gotta work hard for it.

9 Likes

Uh ok

3 Likes

If you would like a suggestion on how you specifically could improve on Flowlab, I think you could take more time to polish your games and work on the art. You have creative ideas and ambitious stories but without a certain level of polish it won’t be as effective as it could be.

That’s just my take though. Best of luck improving!

5 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

Going off of what Greggo said, putting more time in your games will polish them- but don’t overdo yourself because that leads to giving up. Also, if you aren’t good at art then find someone that is (doesn’t have to be someone from the Flowlab community) and ask them if they want to help.

I don’t know if I’m considered a “overall better flowlab user” but I still give advice either way.

5 Likes

I completely agree with dinodev, and greggo. I’m not a big flowlab user that everyone recognizes, but putting more time into your games can really help. Ever hear the saying quality over quantity? It applies very well here, you’ve shown that your quite good at level design. Just put all that talent into making one huge, awesome game!

5 Likes

Keep experimenting with ideas that you’re completely unfamiliar with. Art, sound, code.
Also, one more thing…

MATH.

MATH IS KEY. YOU NEED TO KNOW LOTS AND LOTS OF MATH.

4 Likes

That’s not entirely true. You could learn all of Flowlab and not know any math taught from school. Yeah, using values- but you could say Flowlab taught you that.

7 Likes

I agree with @DinoDev, a lot of Flowlab is for is to simplify how game building is done, including Math. Though if anything, I really do suggest figuring out how pixels work in Flowlab. Just knowing pixel distance is a great shortcut tool.

All I can suggest is play around with the tools. If you want to make a specific mechanic, make an example to try to make that mechanic and then add it to your own game or later games. Or maybe to test how the art will look and to get it just right to fit into Flowlab. Game design comes down to testing and experience. After 2 years, I made something like Escape The Rewind.

As for me, I mostly try to make examples to help simplify mechanics for others to use. Theres more accessibility with ideas on how to make things like checkpoints, semi-solid platforms and other shortcut Bundles.

7 Likes

I hate math. This is why I have to advance my games so slowly with near constant new releases.

Thanks. This is why my newest game(s) take an ever-increasing amount of time to make. I think the big issue is playability. My games will make lose every time if you treat them as just a small Flowlab game. You have to think outside the box to beat them.

It did I think.

I only used that once in Cubetales 2 because the calculating is really difficult, even with a calculator.

2 Likes

I meant knowing how many pixels is a grid cell from the top of your head, and using simple math to figure out their x and y location.

For example, each grid cell is 32 pixels long. To find the pixel location, you would do x * 32 - 16 and y * 32 - 16. Or Grid Cell X or Y * pixels per grid - half a grid (center)

Or another example,
If your game is 10by10, you can tell how big the screen is in pixels. X * 32 and Y * 32, which makes 320by320 pixels. You can make a game background art 320by320 to fit the screen. Or maybe you can use that info to disable enemies off screen. Or use that info to center the camera.

4 Likes

I see. That math is still hard and I don’t know if I learned it in school or not so there’s no guarantee I’ll use it but… Thanks anyway!

1 Like

… its just simple multiplying and adding…
You just need to know why your doing it.

3 Likes

oh ok

1 Like

Yep, it’s just hard to explain math through text and no examples.

But I’m sure you can find examples in JR’s games @John_Shrekinson.

3 Likes

Yeah I saw it in some of the examples I played, like his Raycast World.

4 Likes

Mature response (I grew up): Thank you very much. I’ll try to do that.

3 Likes

If you need anything relating to math in geometry and algebra I love both of those topics so just message me.

2 Likes