How do I make dialogue that has each part fade in and out?

Hello, I’m very very new here (please let me know if I’m using this forum wrong!) and I’m trying to learn all the behaviours and code as quickly as possible for an upcoming project. My game is very dialogue heavy and I found a “code” that allows the sentences to type each letter individually and transition to the next part of the dialogue. The problem is, when my player moves on, the dialogue doesn’t go away and follows the player in the background with the camera. I’m now trying to make dialogue that fades in and then out so it’s not there to follow but can’t figure out how. I would really appreciate anyone’s help!

2 Likes

I’m going to assume you’re using hihilogics example, what you want to do is add a text that is empty to the end of your dialogue. That will get rid of it instantly. If you want it to fade out send a Message to itself that goes into 2 number blocks (100 and 0). Those two numbers will go into an Ease block, and the Out of that ease block will go into the Labels alpha. If this is confusing or need more info I’ll send a screenshot. If you’re not using hihilogics example tell me which one and I can take a look at the code.

1 Like

Another thing you could do is find the X of your text, then have an always block put that X value into the label. Doing that should keep it in place, meaning if your player walks away it won’t move. If you don’t mind sending a link to the game that would also help.

1 Like

Hi! Thank you so much for your help and sorry for the late reply. In hindsight, I should’ve added the link to my game but here it is Flowlab Game Creator - Math Quest. I’m trying out your methods and so far I’m a little lost but I’ll get there!

1 Like

If you don’t mind, may you explain the X value a bit more? I’m sorry if the answer to my question is obvious, but I’m not sure how I would go about finding the X of my text? Thank you again!

2 Likes

I’ll explain the X thing in a sec, but here is how you would get rid of the text after its all done

1 Like

Here’s how you would do the X value thing. What I did was find the position that the screen starts to move + the starting X value of the text (517+544=1061, for some reason you have to -1 idk why). I checked if the player’s X value is above 544 and if it is I do 1060-A (The position of the player), doing this gives me the position the text has to stay at. (The extractor is getting the players X coordinate)

1 Like

If you need more help just @ me and I’ll reply pretty fast if I can.

1 Like

I’ve finally got this to work! Your first solution (the disappearing one) worked the best. I’m so excited! This has been stressing me out for a while now and I really appreciate the help. Thank you (again)! :partying_face:

1 Like