How much does which controls you use really matter in terms of playability?

Convention/etiquette question I guess- I created my game using arrow keys, but now I’m noticing a large majority of the games on here use WASD- is it worth going back through and changing it or not really?

It’s not really a game where you have to hit other keys while also moving so I’m not sure it would make a difference (and admittedly, I’m scared to break something if I forget to replace an arrow key with the new keys somewhere).

1 Like

In my game I use arrows too, because you’re just moving side to side. It depends on your game. If you are moving with arrows and then have to shoot a gun with like J or something it doesn’t really work. So I would probably keep it at arrows.

1 Like

Well, it usually depends on what your game is. Like what Johnny_boy said. Although I personally use W, A, S, D, since its more easier for me to use, but a lot of others use arrow keys. I did find a code where you can actually use both in a game so you don’t have to worry about deciding. I would send a screenshot to link to it, but i honestly don’t know where to find one, lol. When I do I’ll let you know and hopefully it could help. If you are having trouble deciding on which one to go for then why not use both.

1 Like

Time and fear that I’d mess up something (my coding’s a bit unwieldy so I’ve got movement keys strewn across multiple objects). I did see a couple example using both- I just couldn’t actually find much in terms of only arrow keys and wasn’t sure if it was a compatibility/convention issue that I wasn’t aware of.

1 Like

While the majority of my games use WASD controls, I am starting to transition to a point where you may use arrow keys as well. There are some users who prefer the arrow keys, and then other prefer WASD. I favor WASD, but since my games are open to all audiences, I am beginning to transition into arrow key control territory.

So what you could do is make it so that players can use either WASD or arrow keys to control the protagonist. Make sure that the controls are varied, but easy to use and remember for everyone.

1 Like