How much text can fit in alerts? How to use messages?

I’m using alerts to make messages pop up after a player has encountered an object. I’ve got it working except that maybe I need to use a different tactic, as I wanted it to be more like a Zelda-esque text box that will give the player information that seems to be longer than the alert box allows, even with multiple boxes.

I’d prefer to use messages/mailboxes, but I can’t figure out how to actually add the text I want. I’d like it to look a little like this game: http://www.flowlab.io/game/play/231736 I want the message to appear as soon as the level starts. I looked through this game’s levels, but I can’t figure out how or where the actual message (the long text) is programmed.

Messages and mailboxes dont have anything to do with textboxes…

However. Think of them as invisible wires that go from object to object

@jngthree Got it. I thought they made large text boxes - no wonder I couldn’t do anything with them.

So is there anything besides the alerts (which only allow a very short amount of text) that would include text? The only other thought I had as a roundabout way was to make a sprite that looked like the message pop up and I’d have it appear at the beginning and disappear by using the key component and destroy… I don’t know if that would work, but that was my thought!

Labels

And animations if you put the work behind it

Thanks for all your help! I appreciate it!

how do you put a message gui

message or mailbox i want it to appear as in zoo of death at the the start of the level

Messages and mailboxes are not related to text at all.

Think of them as invisible wires between objects