HTML5 Gameplayer/Editor (Online multiplayer feature explained -For Grazer-) 2nd Comment.

So basically the title says it all. I think it would be a GREAT idea to do this. Why you say? Because then mobile devices could edit and play games! Heck, even the WII U could play HTML5! Soooo… Yeah.

Ahem Multiplayer Cough cough

Bump

2complex4grazer?

Okay here we go… In this I explain technological complicated way first. Then a SUPER simplified version of the complex version.

Wow… Here we go 0.0

Get ready for technical vocabulary on Online multiplayer. (For Grazer)

Okay so the Online multiplayer feature could include these.

NAT traversal, to connect through common home and office router setups
UDP-based transmission for minimal latency and to eliminate head-of-line blocking
Mitigation against latency, packet delay variation (PDV), and packet loss
Seamless adaption to changing network conditions
Automatic bandwidth controls to reduce redundant data transmission with static objects or players
Built-in local input prediction to keep controls responsive while preventing cheating
Support for lag compensation when hit testing
Interpolation and extrapolation modes to compensate for packet loss while maintaining smooth in-game motion
Binary data transmission with control over specific datatypes to minimise bandwidth
LAN game support for near-zero latency gameplay, including support for mixed LAN/Internet games
Support for both peer-hosted games (not needing a server) and centrally-hosted games (using a server)
Official FlowLab signalling server to connect players to each other

(To be totally honest, I don’t know what half of these terms mean… I just did some hardcore research.)

Edit: found more information that is 100000x easier to understand

Signalling and hosting:
The signalling server is a central server where players go to find each other. The signalling server does not transmit any gameplay data; it serves only to connect peers to the game host by relaying connection information like IP addresses. Players must connect and log in to the signalling server before they can join any rooms.

The first player in to a room becomes the host. The host acts as the server for the game, transferring actual gameplay data. Any player can be the host. This means games can run without needing any server hosting, saving you from having to pay bandwidth bills to run your multiplayer game.

If you have a large or particularly latency-sensitive game you can still run your game with a dedicated server host to take advantage of its better quality connection. Simply run a browser on the server, run the game and make sure the server is the first to join the room so it becomes the host. Now the server connection will be hosting the game. You can host multiple games on a server by opening multiple browser tabs (a hosted game can continue to work in a background tab). Note this means your server is genuinely running the game - as mentioned, the signalling server only helps peers connect to the room host, and actual gameplay data will be transmitted through your server if it is the room host. It is not necessary to run your own signalling server to achieve this.

Peer IDs:
The signalling server assigns every player who connects a Peer ID. This is a short string of random characters that uniquely identifies them, such as “ABCD”. When designing multiplayer games, it is best to identify peers by their peer ID instead of their alias (display name), since their alias could potentially change but their peer ID never changes so long as they remain connected.

So in conclusion you can host online multiplayer games WITHOUT making a huge computer server!

Bump
(Had too)

Ahem Multiplayer cough cough

exactly what I was thinking

Plz

Ikr… We need grazer to see this. I may have figured out how to do the multiplayer feature

Peer to peer connection…?
For multiplayer hosting without a giant machine that hosts it for everyone, one by one

What did you have in mind, PixelStudios?

Ah peer to peer in a nutshell.

Once you have downloaded and installed a Peer to peer client, if you are connected to the Internet you can launch the utility and you are then logged into a central indexing server. This central server indexes all users who are currently online connected to the server. This server does not host any files for downloading.

The key sentence is the last one.

(Tons of info on Google)

WebRTC DataChannels - for low-latency real-time gaming. As well as working with server hosting (using a browser tab to host the game on a dedicated server), this also opens up the ability to have peer-hosted multiplayer games, removing the need to pay for servers to host your multiplayer games.

But if you mixed WebRTC with HTML5… That won’t work out.
(Just for future reference)

If you’re confused Grazer then just say :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Bump

:wink:

great Idea!!!

Thanks! Inform Grazer!

@grazer?

Hey, so I definitely would like to add multiplayer at some point, so I appreciate all the suggestions and ideas.

However, I probably won’t get a chance until I’m able to sort out a bunch of other issues and bugs first. I am already really familiar with building multiplayer games so it’s not so much a technical problem as a matter of getting some more bugs fixed and problems sorted out before adding more entirely new features.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know I’m not ignoring this discussion :slight_smile:

Yep.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: