I need to know how the cloud behavior works

I want a very detailed response of how the Cloud behavior works.
EDIT: I’m assuming you would know a lot about this @JR01

2 Likes

It’s the save behaviour, but all players can see it. It takes a while to load and upload though.

1 Like

I assumed that I just wanted to make sure there weren’t any weird differences. If you have a large number of values stored in the cloud behavior, does it take longer to load? I’m guessing it does, just making sure.

Yeah, according to grazer each cloud behaviour takes 3 seconds to load before the other. You can bypass this through lists in cloud.

1 Like

Cloud Behaviors:
It’s a behavior that saves data to a Name that is put on the cloud (server) for that game.
This data can be seen or overwritten by anyone who plays the game. The behavior is overall incredibly slow since it has to download the data from the cloud, this is really only good for Leaderboards or anything that will only need to be used once or occasionally.

The data type can be set to anything in the behavior setting, and the name can be changed during gameplay. Since the behavior is set by internet speed, it usually takes 2 - 5 seconds for it to output. It can take longer if you have bad internet service. The behavior only outputs once the data is downloaded or timed out (which will output from fail); and since it takes so long, any additional inputs to the behavior may get ignored until the behavior outputs. Set will also output is the upload is successful. Also as a safety measure, the behavior is disabled to anyone who opens the editor for the game (they would need to reload the game to use cloud). Though the safety measure is annoying if it is a Team game.

I’ve only really used the Cloud for several leaderboard systems using Text List data types. They overall work the way I need them to.

1 Like

I think you can solution this.

1 Like

Just to add a bit more details regarding the Cloud block’s latency/delay:

Cloud values are intended to save and fetch shared data between players that is not frequently updated. Something like a global high score (updated once or twice per game maybe) would be a good fit, something like players’ positions (updated every frame) in the level would definitely not.

The requests are put into a queue, so that if the game has not made a request in the last few seconds, it will respond pretty much instantly, but if many requests are attempted close together, it will become very slow as the requests in the queue are spaced out.

Basically: Infrequent requests will be very fast, frequent requests will become very slow.

2 Likes