I think it’s time to put this issue to rest

Or maybe our previous usernames can be listed somewhere on our profile, so we’re not just getting away with stuff by changing our username🤔

4 Likes

In my opinion, that is a stretch because it seems impractical.
I like grazer’s proposed system (mainly because it gives new people the chance to change their name later on) but the fact that indie users can swap all the time undermines what makes the current system work so well:

As of now, I don’t have any alternatives, but, if I think of something, I’ll let you guys know!

4 Likes

Well, I hear your argument - but none of that was enough to convince you to subscribe yet right? That means I still have work to do to improve the indie version :smiley:

I’m not proposing that I take anything away from free users - I’m even suggesting implementing a one-time name change, which should solve the problem for free users too, so I can’t understand how that would inconvenience anyone. It seems like a win-win to me.

In any case, the name change idea wasn’t intended to be an “upgraded feature”, but more of a recognition that indie subscribers are automatically trusted to not be a trolling rando.

9 Likes

That’s a good idea.

@LMTPE a paywall makes sure people don’t spam free users like Haevoc. People who pay are committed to the community!

5 Likes

And LMTPE, lol. (LMTPE isn’t an A-hole, tho. You’re fine, my guy.)

3 Likes

It might be because a lot of us aren’t financially secured or just don’t have a way of actually paying for it.

I’ve been using flowlab for years and I’ve always wanted indie and I have the money, but I have no way of paying for it digitally or my parents won’t since they kinda monitor my purchases. And paying for something online with $60 would kinda get me in trouble. So I don’t think he doesn’t want it, there could be some real life obstacles he is having trouble with.

8 Likes

It seems like like lots of people agree - I added a Trello card to keep track of this issue.

7 Likes

No I want to subscribe, I will as soon as I can, I just haven’t yet because I’m broke

4 Likes

I’m also broke, instead of getting a car I’m paying for flowlab lol

1 Like

I think more of a nametag limit like Xbox and Oculus do, where you cant change your name for 2 - 6 months or so if we can change with indie.

2 Likes

@JR_01 that would not fix anything in my opinion, since they still get practically infinite name changes, they just gotta wait a little longer to get noticed.

My idea, which is subject to change if you can change my mind, is that level three or higher users should be able to change their names often, since they would either be trusted by the community at that point, or else banned, like Folston and Havoc.

2 Likes

I like this in combination with the 1 time change for free users.

2 Likes