I want some suggestions for distractions

I have a game called A Very Easy Game, where the game tells you to beat a super simple and easy platformer level. When you beat it, it tells you to beat it again. This goes on for ten rounds. Every time you beat it, the next round comes with something extra: a random distraction to appear randomly during play and throw your concentration off the rails and make you die. I am planning to add one distraction every time you beat it so they stack up and make it harder each time until it is no longer an easy game. However, I am having trouble thinking of distractions that could possibly jumpscare or distract players. All the ones I am thinking of would just be mild annoyances. Any suggestions?

The airplane drops bombs?
Spikes come alive?
Dissapearing platforms

Reminds me of the same idea of that one game with the blue elephant

2 Likes

Hmm… Those seem nice. But, would those distractions be a real threat to the player, or just harmless fakes?

1 Like

It your game, your choice
Maybe they swich between rounds?

I want them to stack up every round. It would serve my purpose of adding distractions if they were harmless, but once the player figures out they are harmless, it will probably become easier instead of harder… Maybe some could be threats, some could be fake? What are your thoughts on that?

1 Like

But what if you make them harmless one rounf, but trich the player and make them real the next round?

1 Like

I could alternate between those… One round real, one round fake, one round real again… Or I could randomize the pattern.

1 Like

randomise.

1 Like

Good idea. Thanks for the help.

2 Likes

Make this randomly appear for one frame in your game.

1 Like

It would be funny if you make it so the game says to collect all coins, but there’s no reward or point in even doing so. Then make one coin unreachable until the player gives up and finds out they could beat the level without collecting any of them.

5 Likes

Hmm… Yes, that would be a laugh. What if I place the unreachable coin in such an area that the player dies trying to get it? Or what if random coins jump away from the player when it is in close proximity?

1 Like

Add a zombie that jumpscares you just like that old German soda commercial with the car. Just as animated, realistic, fast, unexpected, and grotesque too. Take inspiration from those weird disgusting close-ups in Spongebob.

1 Like

Excuse me, could you post a link to the ad? I have never heard of it.

1 Like

Ooh, boy. You may regret it. DONT WATCH IF EASILY SCARED!1!!!

1 Like

I believe Google blocked this video for me. Is it really that scary? Anyways, I’ll think about the zombie distraction. Thanks for the help!

Either your parents or school, or you have Restricted Mode turned on YouTube. Glad I could help! You can also use an AI generator to make a really scary image. Or you could have some of mine (go on the post and click the dropdown, then right-click and save the image to upload into Flowlab):

Those images are small, so you can use an AI upscaler to make them bigger. I generated all of those images using Craiyon.com. Back in the day, Craiyon images didn’t have the crayon logo watermark on them.