Isometry Configuration - Grub

DON’T BE ALARMED IF IT TAKES A FEW MOMENTS FOR THE SPRITES TO LOAD.

Big thanks to @JR01 for helping me understand this and allowing me to tinker with it :slight_smile:

Here’s the video JR posted in the discord:
How Isometric Coordinates Work in 2D games - YouTube

4 Likes

Glad I could help, I was figuring it out myself as well as I was helping. :smile:
It pulls off some nice effects as shown in your example. As well the Formula used can be changed to help other isometric games. Think of it as Rotating the X and Y grid lines around the origin.

Here’s my example as well for anyone that’s wondering:
Flowlab Game Creator - 3D Isometric Test

Also, this was fun to make

Wave

4 Likes

I guess great minds think alike (I don’t add the 32 in my Display order because I don’t go into the negative Y level, but If I do I’ll add it)

2 Likes

Well not just layering, I was also converting vectors so I could mark coordinates on a skewed grid plane as if I were on a normal grid plane. The X and Y are translated respectively.

2 Likes

I just used sprites that lined up so I didn’t need to do that (I did mess up slightly so I’ll have to redo a bit). But for smaller 32x32 sprites that lining up is needed.

2 Likes

I’m not really saying it’s just for lining them up… but more so to give the blocks an ID.
For like indicating when the mouse is over the top of the block, moving objects to a skew location, or to see if an object is on its same skewed X axis.

MouseSkew

2 Likes

Organization
I just bundled most of the code and added notes that I think would help if you were exporting the code to your game.

Let me know what you think. The last thing I might do is going to be changing the game-view size so I don’t have to spawn as many objects and run so many expressions.

3 Likes