Joystick Example

Functioning Joystick Example Below

Finally, a joystick that works, and, not only does it work, but it also works on mobile! Try it out for yourself!

Fixed Version

Buggy Version

6 Likes

It needs a little tweaking (I can’t make it change directions), but it works well and I think this is a great idea for mobile. I think it’s probably more playable than using standard left/right/jump buttons.

2 Likes

It looks cool! I can not play sadly, and I was working on a joystick, and as far as I got… just when you let go, then it returns to the same spot it was originally. I could not figure out how to make it so when it was facing towards that direction. I was trying to use text compare, and that did not work unless you got the same exact coordinates of the sensor blocks. I would like to try this soon!

1 Like

@grazer When I get the chance, I will reformat some things and see what pops into the old noodle.
@GameMaster107 Feel free to open it up and see how It works. Maybe you can improve on it!

3 Likes

I will when I get the time, I can not right now sadly because my school blocked flowlab.

2 Likes

I fixed the aforementioned issue. The joystick will no longer stick to edges in the new version!

3 Likes

You should switch the jump button to yellow.

It’s so confusing to jump with a down button lol

1 Like

Might just be me though

1 Like

Lol I understand. It should be fixed.

2 Likes

Hey, folks.

In light of the Flowjam Announcement, I want to re-highlight this bundle for any of you planning to make your game mobile compatible.

While I don’t think crediting this is necessary, I would appreciate really appreciate it! Anyway, I hope this helps you in the upcoming game jam, and I hope you are as excited as I am!

If this thread is buried or you can’t find it when the jam rolls around, just type ‘Joystick’ into the forum search bar, and it should appear.

Best of luck to you all!

2 Likes

This is awesome, thanks! And I really enjoy the graphics of the tutorial. Also, great job on explaining what everything does with notes, that’s very helpful.

1 Like

I’m glad it was clear and helpful!

I recently discovered this example didn’t work if you implemented it the way I formatted. Sorry about this! I made a new one so that it can actually be implemented into your games:

3 Likes

You might wanna fix this, but it’s a minor thing so idk if it matters:

2 Likes

The joystick is moving too fast for the sensor to detect, so that when the sensor does sense the joystick’s position, it’s already outside it’s bounds. I have no idea how to fix this…

1 Like