New update - Major sound improvements!

I just deployed an update to fix up the sad sound effect options. Before: ~200 bad sounding effects. Now: ~3000 organized effects (and some music too). I also added a sound browser interface to make it a bit easier to pick sounds now that there are so many.

The sound files have all been moved to Amazon S3 for faster loading, so this will make it a lot easier to add sounds and music in the future, as well as make it possible to support uploading custom sounds (not implemented yet). I’d like to add more music options, but I need to add some sort of attribution system first so that the music credits will be shown along with the game to comply with most Creative Commons licenses.

I also fixed up the Function behavior so that it saves properly when you select something other than “Sine”.

As always, let me know if if you have comments, questions, or feedback.

Edit: as I mentioned lower in the thread, the object library panel has been enlarged.

OH… My… GAWD

@grazer this isnt awesome… NOT

Oooooh
I never really used the bad sounding effects XD
Awesome update! Except that it didn’t include the descriptions

I didn’t forget about the descriptions - but this was just an engine update, no website changes :slight_smile:

What? I was just thinking about this earlier today, and it happened. I’ll definitely look into this tomorrow. 3000 sounds… Well that’s going to help out a lot.

First thing I want to test is the song delay. The problem for me is when a looping track doesn’t seamlessly loop, but has a space, or starts too early and overlaps before finishing. If the music loops properly now, I’m pretty excited about this update.

The looping issue is mostly from using .mp3 files - when encoded they typically have a gap due to the way the sample frames are filled. This can be worked around though - I haven’t checked the looping on these music clips, but they could be re-encoded if needed to try and eliminate looping gaps.

Would you suggest I use a different encoding for music? I could use .wav or .wma, but I really prefer .mp3 .mp4 and .ogg for high quality audio. What does flowlab currently support?

I think its just mp3

Awesome… that will be very useful THXS

btw as @“Mhx Ar” said, there is a problem with music delay

So @“Mhx Ar” - the only available encoding right now is mp3. Wav files might work, but they’re uncompressed, so they’re really not good for streaming music.

@PixelPizza, when you say musical delay I assume you mean gaps when looping? Are you talking about the songs I just added, or music you have linked in?

Ooops - I forgot to mention another change in this release: the library window has been enlarged, it shows 16 tiles instead of 9. I may enlarge it again, does anyone have thoughts or opinions on what their ideal size would be (keeping in mind that this needs to work on small screens/chromebooks)?

Why not have a preferences page where you can adjust those kinds of things? @grazer

What else would be in your preferences page?

Maybe like a page theme

Where you can make the page itself dark instead of light @grazer

Oh! Maybe you can manually change your username there too.

You just changed your name, why do you want to change it again? As for themes, do you mean Vanilla Forums or Flowlab Editor themes?

No no no, not for me, but if other people want to, they dont bother grazer. And Im talking about the flowlab editor page.

@“Mhx Ar”

@grazer
I meant my custom music links (they are mostly from @Eric_Matyas site) and they have like a 3 seconds delay…
Like I start the level and only a few moments the music plays (happens in boss battles).
maybe it’s just my internet idk

Oh and yes i like the the new 16 tiles library

Might be the site, you could try hosting the song somewhere else. Soundimage might not be good for hotlinking.