New update - Mobile Ads?!?!!11

So this is probably the most requested feature we’ve had, and I finally added it. The ad provider is AdMob, and you can create a free account and set up your mobile apps here: https://www.google.com/admob/

For the moment, two Ad types are supported:

“Banner” - banner ads are small ads shown at the top or bottom of the screen, and they stay visible until you hide them. These types of ads would typically be displayed while a game is in progress.

“Interstitial” - these are full screen ads that display until the player closes them. These types of ads would typically be displayed between levels.

There is a new behavior node named “Ad”, that allows you to control the ad behavior, with three inputs:

1. banner” - this displays a banner ad
  2. full” - this displays a full screen/interstitial ad - the output will be triggered when the player closes the ad
  3. hide” - this hides the banner ad

Some important notes to keep in mind:

• Mobile ads have no affect in the web browser
  • The default settings of the behavior have testing info included, and sets AdMob to “test mode”. This allows you to test the ads in your game using test ads
  • You’ll have to create an AdMob account to create real ads, but make sure you leave test mode enabled until you release your app (testing with real ads is against AdMob policy)

Grazer,

This is awesome!

I’ll get back once I’ve had a chance to get ads going.

MA

Hmmm

If I make a deluxe edition for SB2 mobile, I may use admob

Do you make money from the adds or not?

@“Jojo Gerard” Yeah I was also wondering that.

Would be nice, so it would be like YouTube.

Yes, you would

Cool
!
!
!

Yeah, to clarify: You, the developer (not Flowlab) can make money from in game ads now :slight_smile:

@grazer if it were up to me I’d give you some of the revenue as well.

Even though I get annually charged for the indie version… yeah I need advertising to make up for it.

Well… the developers might want it… the players might not… XD
It would be funny if users went “Hey! Free money!” and started publishing crappy games onto the app stores with ads

To be honest, I absolutely hate ads, and would never actually force my users to watch them. I’d completely make it optional.

I detest ads and I don’t really want them in my games.
If I do, though, it would also be optional and would give the player some privileges. I don’t think there would be any point now, since no one would watch it (getting people to download should already be hard. With ads? NOPE)

I completely agree

Eh, Starblast ME still needs work.

I’m surprised no one really said anything about it… that’s a little depressing.

A banner in a lobby seems okay …

The ad behavior in free version is useless.

I need money

@grazer when is that alpha node getting fixed on mobile?

Also the whole 2 joysticks thing as well…

@Luminous700 I don’t want to shoot down your joke, but it actually costs 10$ to get the account

Don’t you mean @latif3 XD

@Luminous700 you were talking about the whole “hey free money” thing.

Latif3 can’t because he doesn’t have a non-free account