Newbie questions about Indie account

One of these days, flowlab is gonna end up being a 3D software to make awesome AAA games, lol.

5 Likes

Most things aren’t bugs, just some of the default stuff sucks, the run and jump bundle isn’t very good and you can fix a lot of it. If you are having problems VIA bugs, I could help a bit. PM me if you need to on any questions with your game or how to do something in general.

Flowlab is great for making games, and it only gets better. I think it’s crazy that one guy (@grazer) did this all. He works hard to constantly update flowlab and squash bugs. BUT, I don’t think you should use flowlab if you are looking to make 3D games, since that will likely never be introduced to this platform. Though you can make a 2D z-axis using background objects and camera parallax.

3 Likes

I doubt it, but we can always hope so lol.

Eventually Unity will fall, Godot will take its place. Unity isn’t really getting much better in terms of adding things, mostly just taking away features from developers.

3 Likes

I wasn’t planning on going full blown 3D, that’s way beyond my current skill set. But I’ve just started making a top-down game that’s supposed to “look” 3 dimensional… I imagine I will end up using up all 50 of my unique objects on the first level alone. When ideally, I wanted each level to be a small part of a very large city.

2 Likes

Could I have a link to the game? I want to see what you’ve got so far.

2 Likes

Going to add additional related questions rather than start a new thread…

I’m not going into this with the expectations of getting rich, but if I did want to eventually make some money using the Indie version to make games, here are a few ideas I have:

Option #1 - I know you can export games to Google Play; I’m not sure if anyone would be willing to pay for anything I created right off the bat, so maybe I could release a few games on there for free as donationware - and include a little link in each game, something like “If you like my games and can afford to donate, please visit [website link] so that I can continue to keep making more games like this for you to enjoy!”

Option #2 - Export the games to Google Play, for free, but with in-game advertising

Option #3 - Export the games to Google Play, offer the first areas and levels for free; then provide a link to additional chapters / levels whatever for say $0.99

Option #4 (not sure if this is viable or not?) - Sell a bundle pack of 30 or so downloadable mini games for $1.99

Option #5 (also not sure if this will work with Flowlab) - Export my games to my own website where players can play them for free, and put ads on the website itself (website would also include other assorted content, like links to gaming articles, as well as a gaming related blog and cartoons created by me

2 Likes

I have no clue about the 4th but the rest sound good!

For the 5th, you can put any game into your website if you copy the embed code and paste it into your website (google sites and wix.com I know BOTH have this feature).

2 Likes

yes with option 4 i have had an aquintance (or however u spell that lol) that has done that before and also put them on steam :gasp: they like do pro game makingt now (not on flowlab sadly) but if you post and promote your minigames you are sure to get some profit :money_with_wings:

2 Likes

Hey @TGW - my only advice is to start small, and don’t try to make your epic dream game right off the bat. Finishing even a small game is a lot of work, and even though 50 types of objects may not sound like a lot, with a bit of creativity that can go a very long way.

When you’re starting out, the most important thing to focus on at first is finishing your games and getting feedback from players who try them - The deathloop is real! INDIE GAME DEV: DEATH LOOPS

I’m not going to comment on whether Indie is worth it, since I’m biased (although I hope that it is!), but I will say it probably makes sense to complete a small game or two to get familiar with the tools first and make an informed decision.

Either way, welcome to Flowlab and good luck on your new game making adventures :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hahaha,

I’ve only ever finished 2 games out of my 25+ projects. : )

3 Likes

That was quite a long list :upside_down_face:

Yep…

Now I can add, Cubey in Space

I like drawing cubey : ) (actual a square lol)

4 Likes

I learned more after upgrading

1 Like

my friend made a flowlab character called cuby

I have 3 games in the Cubey series.

yet they’re all squares.

my friend has one game, a spinoff, and a sequel that’s under development.

1 Like

Just throwing out a random “thank you!” for the New User of the Month nomination (whoever was responsible for that)! I’m honored!

And also a random thank you to those of you who have been patient and helpful and offered constructive feedback to me so far!

I haven’t been as active on here as I’d hoped I could be, because real life and other stuff keeps interrupting me, but I do intend on finishing as much of my games as I can using the free version, and hopefully learning some new tricks along the way before upgrading to Indie. I am committed to making more games whenever I have spare time, even if they aren’t necessarily profitable in the beginning. This is a new hobby for me, it will probably take some time for me to git gud at it.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice and all so far! And thank you @grazer for making it possible for people like me with no programming knowledge at all to actually make our own games come to life!

4 Likes