Order of messages

In what order do messages and inboxes trigger? If I have code for selecting something. I want the object to be “deselected” when the mouse triggers down anywhere on the screen, which I have sent through a message. After that, it should “activate” when it’s the object is clicked on. The problem is that the message is always activated AFTER the direct click. How can I make it activate after the direct click? (without timers)

2 Likes

Triggers in flowlab trigger as following:
The most top right one’s are prioritized first.

Love the chess sprites! Excited to destroy people online!

1 Like

I love chess, make sure to include En Passant. I’m rated ~1475, but it’s been a while since I played online.

1 Like

I don’t play online much anymore, I mainly play bots, I don’t think they’re too accurate tho, the stockfish bot rated 1700 and me duel perfectly when I play with 3 minutes.

2 Likes

Try chess bots then

Stockfish is a chess bot lol

1 Like

The highest chess bot I beat was 2000 and my elo is 1475, so bots aren’t the best at showing skill.

1 Like

Drafty you can use the MouseClick “Over” to turn a switch off, then the Mouse “Out” to turn the switch on. Then have the MouseClick set to “capture clicks anywhere” for the input of the switch.

1 Like

today I learned

I don’t understand this description, but maybe I haven’t had enough coffee yet. You want to change is so that that Mailbox activates after the MouseClick? Or the problem is that the mailbox activates after the click?

2 Likes

I want it so that the mailbox activates first, then the click activates

1 Like

You can do this by something I call reverse delaying. You can delay every thing besides the mailbox for 1/10 of a second so it’s like you predicted that they were going to click.

1 Like

Adding a tiny delay to the click using a Timer in front of the MouseClick trigger is the obvious approach, so I have to ask: Why the requirement of no timers?

1 Like

usually when I use timers in projects like theses, they tend to add up and make the response time feel pretty slow. Using the least amount of timers possible keeps the game running smooth and prevents errors when the user inputs very quickly

Ok, you’re not wrong - trying to coordinate lots of interleaved timers can also create subtle bugs that are difficult to find and fix as well. That being said, there is no obvious mechanism to coordinate what order the objects themselves are run, which seems to be what you are trying to do.

If you need two events to be ordered a specific way, then the best approach is probably to put the logic in the same object so that it can be evaluated in the order you want.

2 Likes

well I think that’s what I ended up doing, thanks for the help.
I was half hoping there would be a good way to get a consistent timing :’)

Not between objects - they don’t have any specific run order, and whatever order they run can change between sessions.

2 Likes