šŸŽ¼ Parse-O-Rhythm - Wishlist on Steam!

Twas the case in universal crumble and the novavis too. I found that displaying some secret text in the splash screen removed the error from happening. But I forgor to add it to the splash screen to this game.

Now that the april fools joke is gone, you can open the game, and the pre-screen will have text displayed. Bc of that, text wonā€™t display when it shouldnā€™t in the main menu now

3 Likes

The menu seems to be working fine now! No random text.

As I played through the second level again, a random lag spike hit me, and I lost a block. I do not know why this happened.

the game is good but some of the glitches are too close together, the levels are too long for the difficulty theyā€™re supposed to be and you loose so much more points than you gain which makes the game less fun

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure this is all part of the plan!

One canā€™t just pop in and expect to ace every level. You have to practice. Iā€™ve been playing the game almost every day since it came out during the Flowjam, and I havenā€™t aced any levels but the first one.

It will take a long time, but people have aced every level before. It takes patience and skill.

4 Likes

two. just two away from S.

2 Likes

Yep, @JUSTPLAINOP said it perfectly - itā€™s not meant to be easy! Thatā€™s why there are slower and faster levels in the game. And practicing is a lot of fun by the way!

4 Likes

This is a few days late, but I wanted to congratulate @Elden_ring (at least I think this is the right user?) for being the first person apart from me to 100% halcyon!! This is a big achievement and itā€™s so cool seeing people continue to play and care for the game even when Iā€™m unable to due to college work.

Speaking of all that. Weekly dev updates will very likely return starting about a week from now, as Iā€™ll have an entire month of essentially nothing major going on, so look forward to me finally picking up steam again!!

8 Likes

Wow. People are getting crazy.

2 Likes

Hey can I help with the game?

1 Like

I think the Dev-Team was already decided.

1 Like

No need, I have everything under control :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So do you recommend anyone else I can work with?

Hey yā€™all, sorry for no updates lately. Earlier today we officially rebranded our ā€œstudioā€ to Encabulated Games, and all of the reasons why are listed in the announcement on our discord server. TLDR, ā€œSup3r87 Gamesā€ was overshadowing the other people who make these projects possible, and weā€™re slowly focusing more on paid game projects.

I still have to update all of our game startup screens with this logo so please bare with usā€¦ but that should take a day at most, and after that, you can expect weekly dev updates!

8 Likes

Ya I was looking and then I saw the teams new look.
Please it does not matter if your games overshadow mine, mine isā€¦ decent but yours is quality.

1 Like

Comparison is the thief of joy. Everyone learns their own skills and techniques as they get into this hobby. I still catch myself comparing my games to stuff I see on digital shelves even though I shouldnā€™t. Everyone is at a different stage of progression in this hobby and thatā€™s okay :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So your still going to make free flowlab games?

2 Likes

yeah most likely, for the flowjam competitions. weā€™ll see though, not sure whatā€™ll happen!

1 Like

Doesnā€™t stop me from doing it subconsciously though

1 Like

:broom: Sunday Devlog 1: House Maintenance

Yo!

Starting today, Iā€™m going to begin doing weekly Sunday devlogs. This is going to last until the inevitable steam release of Parse-O-Rhythm, and probably longer. Iā€™m finally able to do these weekly recaps again since Iā€™m back to health (I was sick for part of last week) and have completed moving back home from college, and have enough free time to devote lots of it to game development.

So, whatā€™s happened in the past two weeks?

The rebrand

I already announced it here, but we finally officially renamed ourselves from ā€œSup3r87 Gamesā€ to ā€œEncabulated Gamesā€. This was because naming it all after just me was being disingenuous to the other people who help out on our projects, and because we are slowly putting more focus into selling games rather than making more free web games.

When Logan and I were coming up with studio name ideas, we made multiple categories, ranked them ourselves, and chose our final categories that way. One of the categories was naming the studio after a funny device of some sort, and since I had heard of the turbo encabulator prior, ā€œEncabulated Gamesā€ was one of the finalist names, and in the end we chose to run with it against the other finalist options.

Screenshot of the Figjam board we spent most of the time ideating in

The logo went through a lot of ideating, revisions, and review through several friends. Fortunately, I landed on a design that everyone I talked to liked in just a day, so I didnā€™t throw away too much time. In the end, I am very happy with the design I ended up finishing.

Initially I wanted an E with a lightning bolt and a device behind it, but every attempt I made was too watered down, too cluttered, or both

Discord banner-01

The final design placed the original device on the corner of the E with a gear on the other corner. I quickly realized that this design still got the ā€œfictional machineā€ point across and was more readable, so these are the results!

Rebranding in all of the game projects, however, proved to be just as herculean of an effort. I had to create a new startup animation and then make it work in all Encabulated Games projects, which took longer than expected. The main reason is that every one of our game projects has credits built in slightly differently, so lots of variants were made for different projects.

Parse-O-Rhythm

Galacdrive

The Novavis

*And moreā€¦

The rebrand also means renaming ourselves on all the platforms we distribute games on. There is a chance (and a very strong one in Appleā€™s case) that Encabulated Games might need to be legally registered as a corporation to change names, but thankfully for other platforms like Google and Steam, itā€™s only some keystrokes and a button click away from changing.

Google still needs to verify the name change, but allows us to change everything else. Interestingā€¦

All in all, we still have to:

• Potentially register as a corporation to rebrand on Apple
  • Complete the rebranding on Google
  • Update our trailers to include the logo

Before the rebrand is complete. We are thinking about making an official website, but thatā€™s currently something that is not too high on the priority list (since we arenā€™t really seeking to be hired by anyone or make a LinkedIn yet).

Parse-O-Rhythm

Next week, (in addition to posting this log in the afternoon rather than the evening) we will share an official Parse-O-Rhythm roadmap so everyone in and outside of Encabulated Games has a clear view of the development plans to launch a paid version to Steam.

Speaking of inside Encabulated Games, @ThatBoxLion and @nhgcr_for_the_3rd_time have been working since March to produce two new track albums that will be present on the Steam version of the game. Lionā€™s tracks are candy themed and are going to be extra difficult, and Prism (Nhgcr on the forums)'s tracks aim for a more chill vibe and will be easier, calmer tracks.

I think the kitchen might explode with how much these guys are cookingā€¦

It has been massively fun watching them cook up some genuinely awesome tracks, and it also makes me happy that more people in the Flowlab community are contributing music to the project. Many artists outside Flowlab are going to be contacted requesting music licenses for more albums, and there will be a thread posted on the discord server inviting people to request artists for me to contact.

Aside that, some very minor UI tweaks have been made to the game, but nothing significant enough to report on. However, over this week, a LOT more work will be done on the game now that everything else has been (mostly) cleaned up and taken care of.

Thank you very much for reading this dev log, and we look forward to reporting on more in another week!

-Everyone at Encabulated Games

8 Likes