Sending a message to an emitted object

So, I have several of the same object, the enemy, and they all emit the same particles at the same time, and I want to have the particles send a message to whichever specific enemy emitted it, but I’m not quite sure how to do this. I feel like the best way would be to use “reply to last message”, but that means I have to somehow send a message from the enemy to whichever specific particles it emits, which is a problem because I’m not sure how to do this either. Am I able to do this with “send to last contacted object”, or is there a better way to do it?

2 Likes

The best way to do this is: when spawning it in, send a message to last contacted, and make the spawner reply

2 Likes

I think you are. Try experimenting.

2 Likes

So, I tried doing this, but when I send the message to last contacted, none of the spawned objects are actually receiving the message, even though the message behavior is linked directly to the output of the emitter behavior.

you make the spawned object send to last contacted and the SPAWNER reply.

Does using the starting value method not work in this case?

No, because I’m spawning them using an emitter, so there is no way to set a starting value for them.

You set a starting value by using the input value into the emit.

This is what you need to do. Send a starting value of 1 for the first enemy, and then when the enemy messages the object it sends a value of 1. If the value it got is equal to its starting value do whatever you need it to.
Then send a starting value of 2 for the second enemy and when the enemy messages the object it sends a value of 2. etc.

2 Likes