⚙️Shattering Steel⚙️

Memed! :grin: :+1:
fortnite item shop

7 Likes

That’s exactly what I had in mind lol
Just didn’t know if that meme was too old for the quick-paced meme culture we’re in nowadays

4 Likes

This is looking more and more like a polished indie game, great job!

4 Likes

Thank you! Polishing is one of my favorite parts of game dev, which is both a blessing and a curse lol.
“Should I make new content? Maybe, but look, the colors are slightly off on this sprite! Better redo the entire background just in case!”
The main goal is to make SS feel like a game you could actually buy, play, and enjoy.

3 Likes

If the joke is really good, I believe that no meme is too old (memeories). Plus, the Flowlab community isn’t on Reddit, Tik Tok or Twitter 24/7, so it’s not like everyone is 100% caught up on all the latest memes lol. Takes a few to get there.

3 Likes

I have never used Reddit, Tik Tok, or Twitter so all memes still work on me

3 Likes

My reaction to that information:

2 Likes

Gigachad. Same, although I use Youtube.

2 Likes

Ok, back on topic. Recryptech what do you find is the most important thing to polish is? Is it sprites, sounds, UI/bg, etc? Just curious what you focus most on because I also have the habit of focusing on the smaller details

3 Likes

That’s a good question! I’m not entirely sure, but I would say anything that makes up the core of the game should be the most polished, then you can work your efforts down from there.

You can generally figure out what the “core” is by playing through your game and taking note of what you interact with the most. Ideally, everything would be polished and to an extent, everything is important, but you also have to make sure you’re using your time wisely. If you’re taking all the time in the world to make your game (like me lol), then you have much more time to focus on the smaller details.

Typically my polishing style consists of me playing my game, noticing something I think is subpar, then going in to fix it. This could be anything really, but atm it’s mostly the art and UI since those are noticeably worse than everything else.

At some point you have to cut yourself off from continually doing that, or new content will never find its way in. That’s why I set up the trello so I can keep track of what needs to be added, and only the more major polishing touches make it on the list

4 Likes
Please rank these boots based on utility and coolness with 1 being the worst and 5 being the best: Robotreads

0 voters

4 Likes

Kinda hard to rate since I dont remember the boots names and appearance in game. Maybe an image of how it looks in the arena or a gif would help :star2::+1:

3 Likes

This boot is fortunately the first one

(no offense btw)

2 Likes

Good point, especially for the ones later on.
img_asset_12239502-1.png
Robotreads: First boots of the game. Average speed, average jump, no abilities

3 Likes

I haven’t played this game since the jam and I’m loving the new look. Something that I think could benefit the game is

1. Added a parallax to the foreground objects like the chain in the lobby, this helps add another layer of depth. rcreger has an example of how to do this with non-background objects.

2. Not very important, but adding a loading screen would be nice (for the initial load in where it normally displays the flowlab logo). I’m assuming you’re already working on this because it is already set to black

Sorry for giving a mini-review, just figured you would want it because you seem to be updating and polishing the game quite a bit. Also just want to say a great job on the game, there are a lot of little details you add (like not flipping the character around so you can face the enemies and walk backward) and they really are nice touches that as a game dev I appreciate a lot

4 Likes

I got careless at the end :frowning:
I was using the Robo Treads and Nanites. (To anyone that wants to get a high score, the Hover Fan + Nanites/Caltrop Launcher is the way to go)

Also, I discovered a glitch around round 40, sometimes the helicopters will pop out of the box at the top of the screen, I don’t think they can get lower at all, so if you were using any other weapon besides Nanites it would be impossible to get past that point. This is probably due to when they are spawned in the Y cord is not yet set, probably happened because I was going at 1-7 fps

4 Likes

Yeah, I personally noticed the helicopter glitch at low fps too when I was stress testing with thousands of batteries on screen. Was that what was making your fps so low?

3 Likes

Thanks! I really appreciate feedback! Those ideas are great and I’ll surely add them soon. I’ve been focusing my efforts on the bg and UI, but the foreground décor needs some sprucing up as well :+1:

3 Likes

The low fps was mostly due to my computer I think in the lobby I was only running at ~17 fps

3 Likes

Dang, well that’s no good :confused: I’ll look into optimization a bit more for low fps
Is it shattering steel specifically that runs so poorly or do most flowlab games act like that for you @CodeAlpaca?

3 Likes