Shifter (Pre-Alpha 0.0.009) MUSIC BREAK

I’ll probably buy it on steam and use it as inspiration and play it when I need a break

well btw I can’t really test because i guess my Second stick only haves 2 directions (???)… Last time I played with him it wasn’t like that. Oh and just a detail my controller is from “PS2” not “Xbox” so the image is wrong but it works as well

@PixelPizza the toggle sticks can be anywhere, I just designed my own controller from how I prefer to play. I enjoy the Wii U Pro Controller too, but I prefer to have the thumbs even on the buttons and top left toggle stick. You can use any controller you want. I won’t be updating Shifter til I finish this skeleton game, because I’m annoyed I didn’t get to work on it much yesterday. Besides, Shifter will take maybe a year to finish, if flowlab can even handle it. The skeleton game can be finished in a couple hours and will amuse new people if grazer adds a game sorting method.

@PixelPizza if you are using JoyToKey, try enabling all axes. This opens up tilts and sliders that some controllers have mapped to the Right Stick.
a

YAY it worked ty.

Btw i found a bug… I can jump multiple times

@grazer a joystick function would be nice, with a full 1-360 range, but we would need to have a game pad plugged in for it to successfully get work.

@PixelPizza That’s not a bug. I never added gravity or jump logic. All I did was put a button to impulse to test animations midair.

@CrimsonBlackGames grazer said he might add joystick support and I gave him suggestions like having change input on key behaviors and an any key behavior, so you can press any key and it changes the key used for jump or whatever.

`

Weird that I can’t type that. Anyway, I’m going to start adding some graphics tonight. Hopefully soon we will get background animations or disable collision so I can jump through ground. It’s been pretty quiet in the forums this week.

It’s usually quiet @“Mhx Ar” :sweat_smile:

I mean usually we have at least one or two new topics or a few comments a day.

Ive been restraining myself from posting. I dont like flooding the forums. I feel like I wear my wecome when I do that.

Anyway, keep it up, it looks good!

You don’t have to post all the time, I just meant quiet in general.

I didn’t get to finish my graphics, but I did make a logic gate tutorial for you guys. I’m working on a gif the size of my game to simulate what my animated backgrounds would look like.

Sigh. I made a lot of progress tonight, only to have the game brick and stop loading at 95%.

Shifter has to be delayed until further notice.
http://forum.flowlab.io/discussion/5460/my-game-wont-load-its-bricked

0.0.005 11.15.17

• EXTREME BEHAVIOR ORGANIZATION. Completely reorganized the logic system into categories, cleaned up the math system, and removed all bugs from the toggle equations.
  • Expanded the game screen size from 16x10 to 24x14. This game is meant for PC and Console, so this screen size should fill most of a fullscreen at 175% zoom.
  • Added Debug Mode. Now the characters will have toggle angle check, collision check, X and Y velocity meters, health meters, and nearest enemy proximity.
  • Added Save System. Save System Debug mode will display the skeleton mapping and unlocked abilities (Until an abilities menu is added sometime next year.)
  • Removed stick figure and old test room, and replaced with idle Mhx frame and new floating platform.
  • Note - Stick figure logic is slowly being rebuilt into Mhx, organized and improved on. Test room will be divided into Platform Stage and Grid Room where you can test controls and battle new bosses I’m working on before they get released.
  • Note - Debug mode code is D+X+7+Enter. You must press them all at the same exact time.

Here’s a look at how organized this update is, compared to how unorganized my old games were.
New clean and organized system:
a
Old games tangled wire mess:
a

Update: The game still does absolutely nothing, but that’s because I’m mass organizing all the actions and buttons into bundles with input/output slots. This way, everything is organized BEFORE I make the functions, so everything is in it’s place and nothing gets lost or in the way of something else. This also allows me to use unlock switches. I’ll be replacing the ON/OFF switches with 0/1 Filters, 0 for OFF, 1 for ON. The number will be set by a message received by the UI Save System. Mhx will then use those 0s and 1s to decide what abilities are or haven’t been unlocked, and what buttons are locked, like if you get grabbed by a giant boss, obviously I don’t want you to be able to jump, attack, run, or anything. A button mashing screen will appear and you will either spam that button, or hit buttons in order to break free, and then all the locked buttons will be set back to 1 so you can continue the fight, and stuff like that. You will also be able to receive messages from the Save System for which ability you have selected, if a button has more than one custom ability option, where 0 is locked, and 1, 2, 3 sets the ability used by that button if that ability is unlocked.

One more neat function I want to implement beforehand is Temporary Cache. Beta Testers will receive special codes that you will input in the Test Stage. This unique code will choose a level and spawn a new item, ability, action, enemy, or boss to battle. This code will also unlock everything in the game, but will prevent you from saving. This way, there is no chance that the beta code will overwrite your save file, and you won’t be permanently trapped spawning in the Test Stage or keeping all the unlocked abilities when you hit Continue in the main menu. Here’s a look at a bit of what I’ve done so far tonight.

a

Here’s how the stage looks for now. I just spent a few hours drawing it. I didn’t really try to sprite it, since I’m not very patient. Besides, I haven’t even made the tiles for grass and hills yet, so I don’t really know how I want to approach that. I’ll pixelate this stage, reduce the colors to a limited amount, remove blur, and animate the grass in some other update. I also want to add a really nice animated background, but for now I’m not concerned about it.

a

I immediately thought of terrarias corruption theme

@CrimsonBlackGames I’ve never played Terraria, so I have no idea what that is.

The corruption is sort of a disease/biome in the game, and it slowly takes over your world. When something is corrupt, it takes on a purple tint.

In the new spin off, otherworld, the entire world starts corrupted and you have to bring it back to its pure state via machines, but using said machines will agitate the corruption and it will spawn monsters to attack.