Shifter (Pre-Alpha 0.0.009) MUSIC BREAK

Depending on what time I get home tonight, I might do more concept art. This will help me decide how to map out the area in the game.

Dont forget the rotation thing I talked about

@CrimsonBlackGames
I’ll remember. I might even make an example game using it.

Im probably going to incorporate it into crimson hunters… that would be cool, if I could get a better atmosphere for it, to make it more organic looking

@CrimsonBlackGames What were you going for? I really like how your game looks. It feels like a retro metroidvania built for the old VirtualBoy headset game system. It’s very nostalgic for me.

By the way, did you see the concept art I tagged you in on page 2?

Working on a Lock-on targeting system for shooting and homing attacks. I’ll probably bind lock-on to L1, and use point at for shooting. I copied it to a separate game example as well, since I’ll be deleting it from Shifter when I no longer am using it. http://www.flowlab.io/game/play/760378

A Metroid looking background…

Also, Im fairly sure I would be like Mhx and just crash while crystal did something else

@CrimsonBlackGames
If I get around to the text boxes and voice acting for the characters, you’ll see they get along, but very sarcastically. You intentionally play as Mhx while Crystal stays home and monitors the planet and you while doing research on the anomoly at hand. She’s your Intel, but player 2 can spawn her in at any time for backup. She is easily distracted and forgetful, because she is very smart but has too many processors running and causes poor RAM in the memory expansion chip. She’s connected herself to a large archive of all information and recorded history in the known visited galaxies, and will translate most ancient scripts. This chip mod built by Ectroazi works great but malfunctions, causing occasional confusion and child-like behavior. Otherwise she is very mature and serious. The story plot is pretty decent, but I hope to add drama to it for effect.

Drama… eh? One of the things that I liked was from spaceballs where they play spaceballs on their screen, and it really confuses darth helmet

(Its a Mel brooks movie- a parody of Star Wars)

@CrimsonBlackGames I’m very familiar with Spaceballs and other space/alien movies and parodies. I used to collect space sci-fi movies like Star Wars. I didn’t care for Star Trek, it felt like M.A.S.H. in space. I’m a big sci-fi buff. I’m also a fan of 4th wall breaks. [spoiler] https://youtu.be/nRGCZh5A8T4 [/spoiler]

Spent about 4-5 hours painting a new background for Shifter. I got inspired by a space generator I found for CBG. Generators are cool, but I like to make my own from scratch in GIMP. This one looks much nicer than the old V2 one. Idk if I’ll 32bit sprite it, because that’s a ton of work. It’s funny how back in Diamondsion Assault, it was just a blue and white blur with simple paint +s for stars. I’ve gotten significantly better at graphics design in the last 4 years. I’m pretty happy with the results.

@CrimsonBlackGames @PixelPizza @grazer @Luminous @Latif3 and anyone else, I’d love to hear your opinions on the graphics updates I’ve been putting out this year. Feedback and suggestions help me come up with ideas for the next projects I work on.

2013 Diamondsion Assault
a

2016 Shifter V2
a

2017 Shifter Pre-Alpha
a

Also, yes, I really did make this from scratch, layer after layer after layer after layer, using pixels and opacity for stars and a sponge brush for nebula clouds. The spiral galaxy in almost all my games is just made by smearing blue and white together in a circle over and over and over while stacking and blending layers, and using an opacity brush to blend the edges. I decided to add dark rings and a red and pink outer glow to give it a realistic look. Once everything looks decent, I use a burn tool to give darkness and depth to everything that didn’t blend enough, and to darken stars. This is the longest I’ve ever spent on a picture for anything ever, not just a game. As soon as backgrounds can be animated, I’ll work on making the stars sparkle and have the galaxies flow and breathe. I paint and draw on paper as well, but you can’t ctrl+z when you mess up, so PC master race? One other pointer is I LOVE THIS WACOM PEN. I could NEVER do this before with a mouse. The level of detail I can do with wacom is incredible.
a

By the way, this thing right here is a meteorite. If we get more layers, I’ll have meteorites and other stuff pan by across the screen as you walk through the level. With a random and a timer, I can even have them have a chance to burn up in the atmosphere and become a shooting star animation.
a

For some reason my phone has extremely high saturation and contrast making the picture very pink and purple, when it should be darker with less saturation. If your phone does the same, it should look more like this on a computer.

ColorTouch-1511275240738

Looks nice! Good job Mhx

AMAZING job! congratulations

Tres bien monsieur

I was working on physics testing today, so I figured I’d build the best place I know to test them. If you recognize this background, you’re in for a treat.
Hydromidbg

Okay, I WAS going to build Hydrocity Zone from Sonic 3K, but it is taking wayyy longer than I wanted, and it’s going to be deleted before Pre-Alpha becomes Alpha. It’s just a fun physics test for water, gravity, wind, slides, and hills.

RIP

Been too busy helping other people to work on my game lately, but I daydream a lot at work and came up with more story. I also have some concepts in mind for enemies and rivals. Might sketch them tomorrow.

It stresses me out when I think of some great concept for a game, but have no access to the laptop for a long time
Hope this game will be successful, considering all the buildups and effort that came into it.