The Genius Challenge!

EXAMPLE!!!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s cool! My idea is nothing like that, though. Itā€™s not procedural. Itā€™sā€¦ oh youā€™ll just have to see it for yourself. Itā€™s weird, but hopefully in a good way.

Where do I post my submission once itā€™s done? In this thread? And can I also post it in the general ā€œPlay My Gameā€ thread as well?

2 Likes

No, donā€™t post it in your own topic. Just post it here.

1 Like

Okay. But I can still share it elsewhere, right?

Or does it become ā€œyour propertyā€? LOL

1 Like

If you really want to :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Itā€™s nothing Iā€™d actually be able to sell or anything like that, but some of my non-game making friends like my games.

1 Like

To fix the problem with spawns staying when going into edit mode and coming back out:
have a global set to a block, after 0.2 seconds it adds 1.

Then in the generated block, if equal to 0 destroy. So, any procedural generated blocks that were generated beforehand donā€™t stay in-game and destroy.

2 Likes

Yup, mineā€™s nearly done. Just need to work on the shop and maybe some other cool features.

(I went with the procedural generation idea but made it a platformer instead of a top-down)

2 Likes

There will be updates, but hereā€™s an early stage: (yeah i know not that great, but now i know how to make procedural generated stuff, and this is why i do these kinds of challenges lol)

2 Likes

@DinoDev
As it is right now:

Mind-blowingness: 7/10. This is technically the same as mine, but I do understand a lot more variables had to go into it :slight_smile:

Code complexity:
Yours:

Mine:

Do be lookinā€™ a little sus, lol.
If you didnā€™t copy me (be honest here), then Iā€™ll give this a solid 8/10. It included some other checkpoint stuff that was cool. If you did, Iā€™ll give you a 6 and a half out of 10.

Art: 9/10. Lookinā€™ good! I would just improve the tree animation so it isnā€™t constantly sending down a torrent of leaves 24/7

2 Likes

@00T_Free Already found a bug!

If you go to a lower block, and then proceed to go right or left onto a higher block, you phase through it.

2 Likes

I made it so the character runs at a speed of 100, gets 420666 coins every time they touch a chest, the procedural generator only spawns chestsā€¦ and the game crashed. I just love doing this :joy:
Finding ways to amp up the variables to insane amounts is a favorite pastime of mine

2 Likes

Added a neat touch to my example:

2 Likes

Got it, Iā€™ll fix the tree animation.

For the other part, no. I did not copy your code, but I did very well use it as reference to understand whatā€™s happening and how everything is working. Iā€™ll take a 6 and a half :joy:

2 Likes

yup lol

I can make a copy of the game that is just broken for fun haha

2 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™ll try to fix that. (Idk how, I might just change the collision type lol)

Also i just did this lol:
Screenshot 2021-06-03 8.02.25 AM

2 Likes

I completely changed what I was planning to do with this, actually I never really had a plan, hmm, this game is literally the stupidest game ever with literally no point at all. Not really meant to blow anyoneā€™s mind anymore.

4 Likes

I did procedurally generated terrain once or twice. I like sidescrolling slope-point methods.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure how ā€œmind blowingā€ my game will be. The controls are wonky, mostly intentionally - in fact, the controls arenā€™t even explained in the game. There is an objective, but how to reach the objective isnā€™t explained either. The majority of the controls are useless pseudo Easter eggs, really. And the game has a story - that ends tragically if you screw up.

The last thing I think I need to do is slightly tweak a couple of the controls, then work on the finishing credit cutscene for those who are able to figure out how to complete it.

I guess the main way in which my game will be ā€œmind blowingā€ or ā€œgeniusā€ is the combination of its utter simplicity along with the absolute complex mess of code (probably over 90% of the functions are aesthetic only). Maybe I will get an honorable mention forā€¦ creativity, or something.

What originally began as a project to hopefully win a contest for once has instead turned into a pretty cool learning experience for me. Iā€™m learning how to use functions and add details that Iā€™ll want to include in my future games. So at least it hasnā€™t been a complete waste of time.

3 Likes

Okay, umā€¦ ahem

So this is my submission.

It might be genius, it might be idiotic. Or idiot savant. You decide.

3 Likes