Thrall update 7/14/2021

I tend to get stuck more on coding stuff. Like, I can make 100 things, and 99 of them are working well, but the 1 that doesn’t is kind of important to the entire concept… and I don’t want to make any further progress until I’ve fixed that one thing, because if I can’t fix it, I’ll have to come up with a different idea and that will require me adjusting everything else I’ve already made… argh!

2 Likes

i totally get that, happens to me all the time

1 Like

Just wanted to reinforce that I really mean that this game is incredibly well-made for the flowlab standards - My feedback has no intention of pointing out mistakes or anything like that. There isn’t any stupid little detail that brought the entire project to a halt - @TGW, the game is great besides my thoughts.

Alright, got it, I didn’t know I needed to purchase power-ups to open chests.
Now that you mentioned that I can buy power-ups and more attacks, I need to play the game again, it probably is a lot easier/fun.

For how long have you been working on this game?

4 Likes

That reply was meant to be a direct reply to this:

I was replying to that because I know the feeling. Game progress is going quickly and perfectly, then one tiny little detail gets you stuck for hours… :slightly_smiling_face:

Like the Flowjam game I’m working on now. Apparently the timers are bugged so my pause function isn’t working the way it should. It’s a seemingly minor issue, but if the timers are going to keep running while the game is paused, that could potentially break my entire game if someone leaves it paused for 10 minutes or so and they come back to a million things spawning all at once.

Been testing workarounds for it, but I might ultimately have to remove the pause feature entirely. Which is a shame, because my game is not meant to be completed in a short amount of time… and I want the players to be able to at least take a bathroom break.

2 Likes

Ah, I see, my bad.
Also for your problem, You could try and reset the timers when pausing. And start the timers once the game resumes.
If you need help you can message me on discord (if you don’t want to share the link publicly) or create a Discussion here

2 Likes

Grazer already confirmed that the timer issue is a bug. I might be able to find a workaround for it, but I still need to finish other stuff in the game first, and since I only have a week left to finish it, I don’t want that to be the thing that holds me back from submitting in time. If it’s still broken by the time I’m ready to submit, I’ll just remove the function from the playable part of the game (but leave it in the code so that I can easily add it again later).

3 Likes

Pixelpizza just gave you a resolution to the issue though-

reset the timers when the game is paused and start them again when the game isn’t paused.

(if you have lots of objects, make a “timer” object, and set it as the parent to all objects that have a timer, when sending a message send it to the “timer object”, in all the objects with a timer just add a mailbox resetting or starting the timer… this will reduce the workload).

i started this game last year it was very slow because i didnt know how to use flowlab at all and had to learn everything through trial and error while also trying to follow tutorials. i improved the tutorial for you lmk what you think. i appreciate your feedback. feed back means everything to me.

ps i enjoy your games ive played a few of them

my pause seems to work very well, try and look at mine and copy its format, my bundles and everything are a little messy but if you can understand it go ahead lol @PixelPizza

Resetting all the timers won’t fix my issue though, because part of my game’s mechanics is that the spawns are supposed to change once the main timer reaches higher numbers. If the pause button resets the main timer to zero, that would be an easy way for players to avoid having to fight tougher enemies.

1 Like

timing is an issue cause right now my chat boxes are using EASE and its super fast all of a sudden

2 Likes

You could store value with globals

1 Like

For now, I’m going to focus on finishing the rest of the important bits of the game so that I have something functional at least. If I have time, I’ll mess around with the timers, but my game is going to have a lot of timers in it, so I’ll have to be very careful how I alter them.

2 Likes

mainiac pumpkin plz help with my first game and go to Plz give tips for my first game mainiac pumpkin

1 Like

Yeah I saw it, I’m working on something at the moment but here in about five or so minutes I’ll check out your games and give you some feedback. Also I would recommend you just stick to your discussion and just @(My name) whenever you need help. So that way people don’t see your posts as spam on different discussion.

1 Like

thank i love the facility cant wait

3 Likes

saw your game trailer looks wicked asf !!!

2 Likes

Thanks! Was that the Flowjam game or the trailer I made for one of my future projects? I’ve got a few different things I’m working on right now.

2 Likes

Future projects. Cant wait to see it

2 Likes

Ah, the “Families” series. Finished installments may not be Flowlab friendly, but I’ll post links anyway with like 1000 warning labels. Warning: the game is about criminals (“families” as in criminal families, not mom and dad taking you on a camping trip). Criminals do bad things and oftentimes use bad language. If you’re not supposed to be watching rated R movies, you shouldn’t play any of my “Families” games (once they are released).

I’m working on a few more PG titles right now, which is why I set the Families release date for 2022, but I may end up creating a short working demo by late 2021, depending on which order I decide to tackle my projects in.

2 Likes