Time to win a flowjam šŸ˜Ž

Well, boisā€¦
Itā€™s time.
My planned game is gonna be like a monument valley thing. I donā€™t know if i can code it that fast, but iā€™ll come up with something fast :smile:
Iā€™ll post updates pics here

6 Likes

yes,Iā€™ll lose because Iā€™m still a rookie

3 Likes

Welcome to the club!

3 Likes

I only ever came in fourth place, not entirely sure how, but if I can do it, then Iā€™m sure you guys can.

3 Likes

your enthusiasm to get the prize :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

are you making a game @glowbug

1 Like

probably image

1 Like

guys can you make a group

1 Like

Another soon to be Flowjam loser, checking in here. :grin:

@Udza_Ganteng You can always do a group project if you want to, but I tried that and itā€™s not for me. I work better alone.

I donā€™t think you can do a group collaborative with the free version thoughā€¦

2 Likes

Working in groups is cool, but you need to be very organized and assign specific people to specific tasks. Like one person handles art, maybe one or two for coding depending on different mechanics and then someone who is in charge or actually creates the basic idea of the game.
Cause everyone has different ideas, art, and style of code so when everyone just works freely you end up with a big mess and someone had to go back through and make everything match up. Which is why I never thought of actually working in a group since it seemed much more of a hassle, but it can also work out really well if you get the right team.

2 Likes

maniacpumkin are you make game flee,its like so cool game

2 Likes

Yeah, I tried one and I think we all had different ideas. Itā€™s not that my ideas were good and theirs were bad, it was just that they didnā€™t work well together. Itā€™s enough work to try to create a level that is hard enough to be challenging but not so hard that itā€™s impossible. Then when someone else is coding the movements and collision behaviors and such, and they change after Iā€™ve already submitted the level designsā€¦ you change anything at all in movement behaviors, even by a factor of 1, it can turn a ā€œchallengingā€ level into an impossible level.

Like imagine if someone took Super Mario Brothers and reduced Marioā€™s speed or jump height by 1. LOL. Instant broken game.

I play test my own games to make sure theyā€™re at least completable. Sometimes I have to replay a level 50 times before Iā€™m able to finish it, but the point is, I have to at least be able to finish it once myself before I can pass it along to anyone else to try, otherwise I just made a broken game. And when there are other people involved and they are changing things after I log offā€¦

Nah, nope. I need full control over my games. It would be one thing if I asked someone to make my sprites look better, or to make some cool music for me, but I have to be in control of where they all go in the game and which sprites I use. A game cannot have two people doing code, unless they are in constant communication and following the exact same format, and thoroughly play testing every single change before moving on to something else.

2 Likes

Actually Flee was a game I made for the last flowjam, which the theme was growing so I made a weird creature that grows as you continue through the facility. Which needs a major update, but I havenā€™t touched it since I submitted it, lol.
Iā€™m working on something a little bit more simpler, but I wonā€™t release it until itā€™s more finished.

5 Likes