Top-of-the-line reviews! (The Crigence Critique)

I’ll get to it today, thanks for the submission!

1 Like

@Crigence It’s been a week or so since you reviewed my game, but thank you a lot! (Reminds me of the “old days” lol) I completely agree, more content needs to be added!

1 Like

got a demo of a level maker im making. how is it? https://flowlab.io/game/play/1498932

There is currently no music or sound effects on my game. This is because I have a free account and/ or do not understand the process of adding them.
Also, when can I expect your review to be conducted?

I’m going to have to reduct points for it regardless, no sound is still no sound

Also i have a bit on my plate but i’ll try to get it done either today or tomorrow

3 Likes

@Caden9

The games full-thruster arcade style is both its biggest strength and weakness. On one hand, you got good graphics with plenty of potential for good music. But on the other hand, you got horrible controls with 2-4 of the classes being absolutely useless. I think some stuff may need to be sent back to 1995, to be honest

+The main menu reminds me of arcade menus. That’s not going to stop me from calling it lazy, though
+Honestly clicking the screen to progress the text feels like flipping a page in a book and i like it
+Different classes? NOW you have my attention!
+I can forgive the obviously patterned background due to how detailed the sprites are!
+Enemies scale up with you making it so you can NEVER let your guard down
+The highscore meter is a nice touch
+The enemies certainly give you a run for your moon dollars

-main menu lazy
-“Click space to continue” instructions unclear, drifting through space with mouse
-Ok enough joke criticisms, “It was more than epic, it was legendary” is just lazy writing.
-“Speed” and “Agility” are 2 different classes? You realize those are synonyms right?
-Every-time you die, you get booted back to the menu. I don’t know if this was an attempt to replicate arcade machines or just incompetence but i don’t like it.
-The reason this drifty control style was tolerable back then was due to their being infinite space to move around. This play area is claustrophobic as hell
-Enemies can spawn on top of you, leading to deaths you couldn’t even see coming!

-The agility class is the best one, no competition. Followed by speed, attack and then defense (Defense is absolutely horrible, by the way)
pheonix wright ace vanguard
optimal strats
spam space

Scores (Scale of 1/5)

:eye:Visuals - 3.5 (Great sprites)
:speaker:Sound - 1 (I don’t care if you don’t know how to use the sound module, still lazy)
:joystick:Controls - 2.5 (Should’ve stayed in the arcades)
:anger:Difficulty - 4 (The floaty controls make it worse than it has to be)
:gear:Stability - 4.5 (Hitting walls is VERY punishing)

Final Score: 3.5/5
Could be a great game with nostalgia everywhere, but winds up having the bad parts of arcade games overshadow the good parts.

3 Likes

Sidenote: See Starblast Finale for an amazing example when it comes to space shooters

There haven’t been any submissions lately, so i’ll start reviewing the front page games now

(The reason i didn’t do it sooner is because i forgot lel)

First in line is Focus 2 by @CrimsonBlackGames

1 Like

Focus was underrated XD

Super hard in the later parts, though

I know you’re going through the home page but wanted to make the request official. Please review https://flowlab.io/game/play/1495995

Night of the Attack of the Giant Brown Marmorated Stinkbugs from Hell.

There’s more to do than just smash bugs :wink: see what you can find by checking the items around the house.

2 Likes

Sure thing! I’m prioritizing requests over the front page games so i’ll get to it right away

Not gonna lie, i’m kind of excited to review it

@todorrobot

The king of mini-games is BACK and with a game that peaks at the opening cinematic… Honestly, behind the games charm is more-or-less a broken-ass game that refuses to tell you anything. Believe me, I REALLY wanted to enjoy it, but…

+Combining every horror movie naming convention into one Frankenstein of a game name is just genius!
+Immediately upon starting the game, the first thing i notice is the charming visuals and UI!
+The stinkbugs’ movements look fuckin gross and i don’t know why
+The matrix effect after you go past the gate and fuckin die is pretty amazing looking, i love effects like these!
+The abundance of SFX help keep up the unsettling and charming atmosphere (Even if there are too damn many of them at times)
+The near-faint melody is both charming and creepy! Well done!
+Every step you take, there’s more charming details to observe!
+The flavor text at the top is a nice touch

-If you turn around too-quickly with the flashlight, your character decides to get some exercise in!
-It’s VERY unclear what you’re supposed to do and the game gives you no direction as to what you’re supposed to be doing, leading to deaths that weren’t your fault
-I turn away from the game for 1 second and it already crashed… Flowlab is an amazing platform with no flaws
-The flashlight effect looks fine, but i feel like it could’ve been done better
-You can move as you die and it’s pretty whack

–HOW DO YOU CLEAR OUT STINK BUGS? Seriously, i never figured it out on my own and it irritates me!

*“Made with Flowlab.io I’m starting to see that as “Made with Duct-Tape-and-Rusty-Nails.io in my head
*Can someone tell me what the TV in the dream section is about?

Scores (Scale of 1/5)

:eye:Visuals - 4.5 (Charming and well made!)
:speaker:Sound - 4.5 (They do a pretty good job at giving you a heads up as to what’s going on while not being too intrusive)
:joystick:Controls - 3 (Serviceable)
:anger:Difficulty - 4.5 (The vagueness really shoots this game in the foot)
:gear:Stability - 3.5 (Honestly one of the most unstable games iv’e played so far)

Final Score: 3.5/5
It seems like a good game, but i have no clue what’s going on…

2 Likes

Hey @Crigence, just did some quick math for the average lol

4.5+4.5+3+4.5+3.5 is 20

And since there is 5 scores, 20/5 is 4. So the score would be 4/5 as the average score. Not sure if that’s how you do the final verdicts, but just wanted to let you know:)

2 Likes

@Crigence thanks! I really appreciate the feedback. This game started out as an exercise in making a Sierra Games style hunt and find adventure. It didn’t even originally have stinkbugs in it until they actually started invading my house irl.

It’s definitely buggy (pun intended) but for a months work (and with @TinkerSmith’s invaluable help) I think it turned out OK.

The TV in the dream sequence tells you what you’re supposed to do in the game? Did that not function correctly? If you press E when next to it you get a Big TV pop up with HOW TO instructions.

Also, if you’re having trouble finding all the bugs (or keep passing out too many times from fright) here are some tips:

standing in a lit room makes your fear level go down,

fear level slowly increases when the power goes out.

if the power goes out, go to the basement and flip the MAIN switch to flip the power back on.

The bugs can move from room to room, so listen for clues and you’ll be able to tell where they went if you pay attention. (Sometimes that last stinkbug DOES escape to a place where he can’t be found — I put some safeguards in place but they might not be super reliable.

Also, did you find any of the jump scares other than the MATRIX exit? Did you find the possum? Play the maze game? Get Rick-Rolled? Read the junk mail? Easter eggs galore for a Halloween game!!! Hahaha.

Again, thanks for playing and for the review! Much appreciated.

3 Likes

Your planning to do all the front page games anyways, but I just fixed up mine when you want to review it.
https://flowlab.io/game/play/1454781

PS. I just fixed the coin count in Level 2.

2 Likes

Kind of surprised someone would go through the effort to do the math on this XD

The individual scores have 0 effect on the final score, i just use them to help me make my decision as to what it should be. I rated it a 3.5 since it seems like a great game but i just couldn’t understand it and it was filled with bugs (Pun unintended)

1 Like

Oh okay, that’s what I had thought haha

Thanks for informing! Now I know too:)

@todorrobot I KNEW this game had to be inspired by old DOS games! It just reminded me of them too much for it to be a coincidence.

(Sidenote: But the game kind of reminded me of this one game that USED to be on garfield.com called “Garfield’s Scary Scavenger Hunt”. I loved the game as a kid and it looked and controlled a LOT like this game does! But now i’m just ranting)

“The TV in the dream sequence tells you what you’re supposed to do in the game? Did that not function correctly?”

I tried pressing E on it, but nothing happened, so i don’t think so. But honestly that seems kind of like slapping a bandage on a severed limb and calling it “Fixed” when it comes to the vagueness problem

Also, did you find any of the jump scares other than the MATRIX exit?

No.

Did you find the possum?

What?

Play the maze game?

Sounds familiar, but not in context to the game…

Get Rick-Rolled?

I prefer the term “Jebaited”, but negatory

Read the junk mail?

THE COMPUTER ACTUALLY DID SOMETHING!?

Easter eggs galore for a Halloween game!!! Hahaha.

Yeah i can tell, lol. I might give the game another try after some of the bugs get squished, but in the meantime i think a 3.5 is fitting. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

2 Likes

Well, i guess Focus 2 will have to wait a little while. Thanks for the submission, i’ll get to it today!

2 Likes

hey if you’re getting to the front page games, I think A Stitch In Time could use a few upgrades before you review it. I’ll try to do a bit of work on it while you’re reviewing other games.

my biggest thing is that buying those upgrades don’t really effect the game negatively at all as long as you shoot the barrels in the caves. I’m thinking of turning it more into a “max time” instead of a “starting time”

3 Likes