Top-of-the-line reviews! (The Crigence Critique)

Well i can’t slow fall on walls, and i also can’t jump high enough to get over a LEGO.

I’ll show a video of how Level 1 looks to me:
https://youtu.be/CRCG85NUdNQ.

That’s super weird, there’s several things wrong in the video. It’s like as if flowlab doesn’t work for you…
What kind of computer are you using and on what browser?

Not really. Iv’e been sounding the horn for a while that Flowlab is pretty bad at maintaining consistency across computers and iv’e been getting REALLY good at detecting when it happens

I’m using a gaming tower, as for the browser i use a modified version of Chormium but that shouldn’t really change anything

Huh, Flowlab has always worked fine for all the different computers and devices I’ve used
(including over 10 different PC’s, Android, and MacOS), I’ve never ran into this problem.

Do exports do this as well?

^^^ I too wonder about exports if this is an existing issue, since I’m planning to have Sol release on more PC store fronts.

This “ding dong darn virus” meme is underrated, i can’t believe it went under everyone’s radar

1 Like

Hello, if you have the chance, could you review my game?
It has four complete levels and a full set of features:

1 Like

@johnpost
Thanks for the submission! I’ll try to get to it today

1 Like

Awesome! I forgot to mention one thing, some of the settings don’t work/aren’t set up yet. The fullscreen option doesn’t do anything because I have a free account as of right now. The death music and sound effects options don’t work because there is no death music or sound effects yet. Also, the “versus mode” doesn’t let you select it because it is a future feature, not available yet.

@johnpost

I don’t really know what to put here, considering i couldn’t even get past level 1 due to a bug… But i WILL say that this game DOES seem good judging by what iv’e seen so far!

+The main-menu animation is pretty nice, not gonna lie
+Despite how i feel about the games mechanics, i will admit they ARE pretty in-depth and unique for a platformer game
+The cosmetics are cool, i guess, but i don’t see why they’re nessacary in a game like this
+The enemies reset with you when you die, which is a pretty nice touch

-I REALLY don’t like this trend of all games having max resolution
-Lazy main-menu. No sound-effects, doesn’t even tell you to press “Enter” to continue!
CORRECTION: Turns out the lack of anything but the logo was a bug… Huh
-The game as a whole seems a little cropped, everything is clipped off the edge of the screen a little!
CORRECTION: Turns out this is just what happens when you try to load Flowlab in F11 mode… Huh

–I was unable to jump for whatever reason, and so i couldn’t even get past level 1… I guess the games name is true after all?
–I cracked open the game to look at the coding, and it is sloppy as HELL! (And that’s coming from the guy who made Old Super Mario Bros!)

*All of this games platformer mechanics seem more-or-less like excuses to have lazy coding… But i can’t prove that so that’s why this isn’t a negative note

Scores (Scale of 1/5)

:eye:Visuals - 3.5 (Serviceable)
:speaker:Sound - 3.5 (Not bad, not bad)
:joystick:Controls - 4 (Surprisingly in-depth)
:anger:Difficulty - 5 (Level 1 is impossible to beat lol)
:gear:Stability - 2.5 (Bugs galore and no excuse for them being there!)

Final Score: 3/5

Man oh man, do i wish i could figure out what the hell is wrong with my Flowlab…

2 Likes

I have a couple of questions and notes.

About not getting past level 1. I don’t know if you missed it because of the cropping issue you had or just didn’t mention it, but you can click the “LEVELS” option and select levels at will.

Also about not getting past level 1. What exactly happened? Not being able to jump is not an issue I’ve ever encountered.

About the “lazy coding” platformer mechanics. Could you expand on that more? I know you said you can’t prove it so it didn’t count against me, but I would like to know what you didn’t like. And the “sloppy coding” as well, could you tell me some examples? Personally I think I did a decent job of keeping things organized, but I guess you feel otherwise.

About the main menu glitches. The problem with labels not appearing is one I have encountered before. As far as I can tell, when flowlab loads the game it sometimes “skips over” certain frames and triggers, and doesn’t correctly place all the labels. I have made fixes to the loading triggers, but it seems I will have to do more with that.

About the rating you gave for Stability, were there any bugs besides the title screen label loading issue and not being able to jump?

The cosmetics is just something I wanted to do as an extra reward for passing levels in different modes. Some people like to “unlock” things when they play games.

All in all, thank you for the review! I appreciate all the feedback and do wish you had had a better initial experience with my game.

1 Like

Hey everyone, @Caden9 is hosting a poll about what class should be replaced in Ace Vangaurd in-favor of a new class: Stealth! Check it out!

The poll is below, here’s my review in-case you need a refresher

2 Likes

@johnpost Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Huh, i must’ve missed that due to that cropping issue. Well, you can always ask for a re-review and i’ll try to give a more comprehensive review!

It’s not that i didn’t LIKE the mechanics, contrarily i actually thought they were pretty good for a platformer game! It’s just that all the mechanics you can see on the instructions screen appear to be basically created from you skipping out on certain parts of the code and i just thought that was worth mentioning

Examples:

1. The clinging behavior happens in all Flowlab games by default if you’re too much of a lazy bush to even make a wall-sliding behavior
  2. Air-jumping is you skipping out on the part of the code telling the player they’re not on the ground anymore

etc

Basically all the code (From what i can tell) even though it was well organized, everything was spread SUPER far apart to the point where it took a long time in some cases to go from one end of the code to another! You may like it, but it just ain’t my style

Those WERE the reasons for the stability score… Not being able to jump is a pretty massive bug (Even if it seems more like a thing that only happens with ME because for some reason my computer scrambles Flowlab games)

This is a browser game that most people are gonna abandon after they beat, the cosmetics won’t mean shit when the player leaves the game

I also wish i could actually play the game right, but there truly is something wrong with my Flowlab that i’ll probably have to fix (Somehow) before i play anything

2 Likes

Thanks for the response. I do get what you are saying about the mechanics, but I promise it’s for a reason :wink: I wanted the wall cling because I wanted more vertical movement ability than just jumping. I also kept the air-jump because it allows me to create more complicated jumps. So, it is sort of a unique movement system (and does keep a lot of “default” flowlab mechanics), but it means more options when level-building for me. I actually made a new object that does have wall-slide, for even more variation.

are you still accepting reviews?
if yes pls review
The Inventor: Startup

@Crigence
2 Likes

why u liked it @rcreger i dont get it

Just randomly XD also cuz this is Crigence’s thread

hey but didya play the game (squinting eyes for no reason

I’m on mobile rn - but I’ll try to when I can:)

@8-bit_Studio
Of course, i’ll get on it shortly!
(Sorry for the huge delay, was busy with other projects)

1 Like