Zoa and the Underground Gauntlet - Devlog

I’m making a game, finally. (Yes, this is a different message than before) As you can see, it’s called Zoa and the Underground Gauntlet. There is currently no release date but I can tell you this game isn’t coming for a long time. Make sure to stay tuned for more :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

3 Likes

For the character, you should take off the white outline, it doesn’t fit the game well from my perspective at least.

Just because nothing else has outlines, it makes it kind of bold and sticks out too much. If you do outlines I would suggest using the same colors as the sprite just a TINY BIT darker.

4 Likes

The first update for the game. I now have giant worms that act as obstacles. Also, I made a super easy background by just darkening the normal floor tile and making it big.

Picture of wormy man (take me by the hand, wormy man :upside_down_face: )
Screenshot 2021-05-14 192407
The worm sprite is temporary.

Also, my idea was to have everything that is alive to have a white outline thus the worm having it. Also also, the player has a bunch of animations and is polished enough for me.

3 Likes

I like the art idea, at first I was thinking ‘why would they use white outline only for certain things-‘… but now it makes sense!

This is going to be a great game, you better not give up!

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

The next update. We now have destructible walls, also I made it so that you can kill wormy man. The worm has a fancy death animation (just the segments disappearing one by one) and the destructible wall has no animation because it is a placeholder sprite. I don’t know what to make it as so I would appreciate ideas. I’m also thinking of adding falling stalactites so I’ll try to do that :upside_down_face:

As per mentioned destructible wall.
Screenshot 2021-05-16 120642

2 Likes

This is small update but the game now has a name. The name is Zoa and The Underground Gauntlet. The story is that your cult (that explains the weird player character sprite) has the members go through a spiraling underground gauntlet to get initiated, but beware, no one knows what lurks below. Also, Zoa is the main character’s name. No meaning, just sounds weird.

That sounds really cool! Do you have a story behind the cult and how Zoa got from the cult to this gauntlet?

If not, can’t wait for the story!

I was thinking of making the game be on an alien planet where, when young, the inhabitants have to choose to join a cult (the social status of each cult is determined by the danger of the initiation) and the main character, Zoa, chose the supreme cult, which, as mentioned before, has the hardest initiation.

1 Like

Just sounds like underground bees :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Sure, I guess that works :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Another thing I did was tweak the movement system to make it much smoother.

This is the entirety of the movement behaviors, I’m tired.
Also, demo level teaser (It’s not coming for a long time)

1 Like

An update! I haven’t added much to the game because I was busy fixing the camera. It got all janky and I had to spend a bunch of time fixing it but it is working now. Not much else than that.

2 Likes

I need some help. As seen previously, I have worm thingies in the game (they look like rocks) that spawn from a spawner. The thing is, I used the last contacted option for the means on how it would spawn but if it collides with the player or an attack, the chain breaks. I don’t know any other methods that wouldn’t make the worm spawn in an infinite loop. Some help would be appreciated :upside_down_face:

1 Like

If you ever need testers for this, I’d like to be the first one on the list.

Just in case, ya know?

1 Like

Sure, I’ll PM you now.

Ok, doneso. The PM should be sent. :upside_down_face:

Actually, it fixed itself. I changed the way the player dies by falling and it works now. You can still playtest though :upside_down_face:

I test? If you’ve seen my posts, you would know I’ve been speedrunning the Flowjam winning games at lightning speed :sunglasses:

3 Likes