What if... cross-game variables

Variables, but they work across multiple games. Would like to know how to do :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Iā€™m confused on what your asking here, but ill give you my brief understanding of what your trying to do. If I understand correctly your trying to make a game that reads off of another games code, and although this would be a cool idea its simply not reliable to do without getting something wrong. Iā€™m sure there is an extremely complicated way that JR or one of the other big users can come up with, but after everything it probably wouldnā€™t work the way your intending it to. Iā€™d say If you really want this then fiddle around with it yourself, and if you find a solution share it with the community! Or in lamest terms, ā€œif you want something done right you gotta do it yourself.ā€
I hope this helps!

2 Likes

I feel like what @hihilogic might be suggesting is getting variables or numbers to be shared between two different games. Iā€™m guessing he might be thinking about some kind of universal currency throughout multiple games.

For example, say that a user creates two games, and both of them use sapphire as a currency. Then a player plays the first game and collects 200 sapphire. When they go to the second game, they end up starting with 200 sapphire, even though they never played the game yet. This is because they collected them in a different game, and it managed to save onto another game.

I am not sure if this is possible now, but it is worth trying. And maybe if it isnā€™t possible now, it could be a worthy feature to add to Flowlab. It would just need some tweaks to make sure that variables arenā€™t shared between games made by different users, because then results would be a bit awkward.

4 Likes

I think some way to make and alter values in a file, and read the file info, between games would be very helpful for some types of games. However, this would only work on games that youā€™d need to download so you can have a game file there. Itā€™d be cool to have, but it is a little specific, and Iā€™m not sure of how many people will use it.

Cool idea though!
@grazer

4 Likes

Fun fact, I already have discussed multiple concepts for a cross game system similar to PlayStation Network or Xbox Live that would keep track of all of your achievements and gamerscore throughout all of your games, however, the only reason it doesnā€™t work, is because we donā€™t have a way to communicate between games. I have already asked grazer about the possibility of adding a key for cloud to work between multiple games sharing that same key, and while it would technically probably be possible, it didnā€™t seem like something anybody else would want to use or need, so it was kind of just discarded as unpopular and unnecessary.

You could do stuff like trading ā€œPokemonā€ between different versions of your Pokemon knockoff games, trade items, unlock things in other games youā€™ve made, have a total gamerscore, global achievements, a store hub to buy things in for other games, etc. I personally agree that I donā€™t think anybody else would really use it much, or even understand how to use it, but maybe prove us wrong. There could be a lot of users that would want cross-save clouds, for something like this. Nobody else has ever talked about it before.

7 Likes

I think I found the solutionā€¦
User ID.
Itā€™s the only variable that stays consistent throughout the entire program (unless you change your name)
So maybe I could find a way to connect that to a database???

2 Likes

TGW and I talked about it in the past when he was curious about it.

2 Likes

The problem isnā€™t really how to connect save data, but just an option for a global cloud to be accessible from other games (and be read-only on other games, game originator can only change the data).

4 Likes