Winter Flowjam 2021 - Flee (Any Bugs?)

Introduction

So in my game, Flee. I couldn’t think up of anything for the theme “growing” so I figured “why not make a horror game”. Although my main intention was to make a small mini-game since I only have free edition. I’ve kinda bit off more than I could chew with this one, since it can easily become a really huge project or story based game. I’m trying to keep it as simplistic as possibly, while giving the player a sense of idealism to it.
Story - So you wake up as you bust out of a air tube and you realize that you must escape the facility you are being kept in. Remember your the meatball-looking thing. You go through the facility eating (past remains of yourself) meat. I know this kinda sounds weird, but this isn’t the first time you’ve attempted to escape. You were once a huge mass and over time you lost most of that due to damage. So yeah there’s some lore. Anyway you eat your remnants to grow bigger which you can then solve or pass obstacles such as pushing objects or pressure plates to bypass doors.
Pretty much everything about the game. I can’t explain too much since I don’t want anyone taking advantage of this during the jam, but I might as well show some art so you know what you’re up against.
Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 7.59.05 PM
Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 8.04.27 PM
Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 8.05.11 PM

6 Likes

Currently working on enemies such as Scientists and Guards. So far you get introduced to a scientist which after killing him you kind of evolve into a more bigger sprite, since using a little three pixel sprite just wasn’t working after he kept getting bigger. After about 200% size he evolves into a bigger sprite so the pixels stay in track.
If you guys have any recommendations or ideas you would like to see in the game then please let me know. I need all the help I can get since I plan on striking the top five in the flowjam.

3 Likes

Nice job @ManiacPumpkin… Keep up the good work, and on the Flowjam.

1 Like

Sounds AWESOME I cant wait reminds me of MattMakesGames Jumper!

1 Like

Looks like a great start @ManiacPumpkin - I can’t wait to see how it turns out!

4 Likes

Woah, looks great!

Ngl, I’m super distracted from this Jam. Might not have something to show for it:/

Oh well, just can’t wait to play these innovative games!

2 Likes

Lol its okay dude my game is about a Cyberninja open world RPG. We’re all trying here.

2 Likes

Alright, just started working on a new feature where cameras have guns attached to them and the only way to pass them is to hide in a box and slowly crawl to avoid getting shot. This might take a bit to code up, since I want to add a checkpoint system for when you die, and the feature that you get smaller when you get shot.

1 Like

Might send some pictures of it or maybe a gameplay video when I get it all finished.

1 Like

aww man, your gonna win this one maniac.

2 Likes

I agree. I have a free account so I’ll probably not win…

3 Likes

I don’t know mine is pretty good

Hey ScrapStudios, I also have a free account.

3 Likes

Oh… Good luck…

2 Likes

Oooo please do show some pictures!

1 Like

It looks great, Maniac! Very interesting concept, too

1 Like

Thanks everyone. After school I will work on the camera and make it able to shoot and I’ll also finish the box feature. Although I’m not sure if it will be a multiple use feature so I might make it like a one and only time you ever use it, but that might change.

Anyway once finished I’ll send some images of it. Hopefully a video if my computer holds up and if I can post it on here. If not i’ll post it on youtube and just send the video via youtube.

1 Like

Nobody cares i can’t let this kid beat me at the flowjam so umm, lose please :wink:

Okay, i just finished working on the camera and I made it so that it will shoot at the player within a certain radius, or when the player gets in front of its view it will start shooting. I didn’t want the bullets to be emitted with a force of 2 or something since they just teleport across the screen and you actually don’t see the bullet. So I just made it that it emits the bullet at 0 force, but the bullet will once face the player and then move at a set speed. Giving it a polish bullet detail. Although the bullets yet don’t hurt you and you can equip the box, but it doesn’t do anything yet so it’ll be a bit before I get that whole feature up and running.
Also added some dialogue explaining what to do when you encounter a scientist.

I still need to add guards (which the coding is going to hurt) but I’ll try my best with what I got. There’s one week left for the jam and I’m still far from finished, and I have school all week so I probably won’t be making a very lengthy game, but I do plan on making it so that there’s an ending. Too bad this wasn’t a summer jam, I’d be working on it 24/7, lol.

2 Likes

Nice (2020202220200)

1 Like