Winter Flowjam Game Jam 2023 Official Announcement! ☃️

What’s a Flowjam?

Flowjam is a competition where everyone gets a limited time (two weeks) to create a complete game from start to finish, based around a single theme.

The theme will be announced when the game jam begins, make sure to wait until the theme is announced to create your game!

This year the Flowjam will begin on January 1st, 2023 12pm (noon) EST . Submissions will close and Judging begins on January 15th, 2023 EST at Midnight.

Remember to come back and review all the games after you enter!

Come join the Flowjam Discord Channel or the Flowjam 2023 Forum thread to discuss ideas, encourage each other, ask questions, or whatever else.

What can I win?

The winning game developer will receive a Steam Deck 64GB:

Why should I participate?

Making games is fun! Also, this is a chance to challenge yourself to try new ideas, improve your skills, and possibly win a new game console :slight_smile:

Who can enter?

Anyone, from anywhere. Feel free to collaborate and help each other, but only one prize will be awarded. Entrants outside the U.S. will be responsible for any Customs or other fees incurred.

The Rules

1. Don’t create your game until the theme is announced! - on January 1st, 2023 12pm (noon) EST - the game creation time is listed under each game.
  2. Your game can include any art or music you have legal permission to use, but anything not created by you during the jam should be listed in the game’s description.
  3. Submissions will be closed on January 15th, 2023 EST at midnight
  4. All entrants can vote on the game submissions to select the winner , and Grazer will have the final say on the official winner in case of a tie.
  5. Only games created using Flowlab can be submitted
  6. No purchase necessary - free accounts are welcome and encouraged to submit games!

Judging Criteria

• Theme How well the game adhered to and used the theme
  • Fun How fun the game is to play
  • Art How does the game look and sound
  • Creativity How unique are the graphics, the mechanics, and the overall design

32 Likes

oh my god, i’m so goddamn hyped

12 Likes

OMG A STEAM DECK I NEED TO ENTER THIS I WANT A STEAM DECK SO BADLY

8 Likes

i think i’ll be able to get at least in the top 10 in this jam

5 Likes

Oooh. I might do this flowjam.

4 Likes

The grocery store I work at will probably be receieving some sad news about the next two weeks. Looking forward to the jam!!

5 Likes

Glad you’re looking forward to the game jam! But … please don’t get fired :grimacing:

5 Likes

nahhh dw about it, I’m a 17 year old and my workplace is used to this sort of thing. I’ve done it before :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What is a steam deck?
Nvm, people on Discord answered this for me

5 Likes

Yayyy I’m hyped for this. I think I could really use a game jam right now, I hope it’ll be very fun :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Best award since PS5! Hyped.

7 Likes

What if the Flowjam had a theme song to go with the jam theme? You could say its a flowjam

8 Likes

i drew a mockup of the artstyle that i’ll be going for for this jam

12 Likes

I will be on Vacation, and High School and College will be starting up during this time, so I am not completely sure I will be able to join sadly. If not, I wish all of you who did join the best of luck, you will do great. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’m gonna use the theme more effectively this time. Last jam the theme was brought up once in my game in a single line of text

7 Likes

I’m excited, as I’ve definitely gotten a lot better at using flowlab since the last couple of jams, but so has everyone else…

6 Likes

I am so excited for this I need the steam deck

4 Likes

I would personally just like a Nintendo switch to play Smash Bros or Mario kart with my family :laughing:

6 Likes

Is the theme gonna be released at 11:30 tonight or will it release at 12:00? I know past years the theme was always released earlier than the start time so people can start brain storming.

2 Likes