16x16 Tile Grid

@grazer I know you’re busy, but is there any way you could add a setting to make games 16x16 instead of 32x32? NES and SNES use smaller tiles, and it’s so painful to try to place 4 corners of separate parts for 16x16 blocks, especially since you can’t place tiles on top of tiles without placing in an open space and dragging them after. The grid should be able to be set as 16x16 even for 32x32 games, so you can use the same tile on half steps. It would also be great for mobile games!

Sure, I could use 4 tiles as a single 32x32 tile, but that greatly limits the map potential, especially when the game has destructible blocks. Here’s an example of a grass block I made that would be much better if used as 4 tiles, because I could change up the pattern with more similar looking 16x16 blocks, or edges.

tileer

Yes I have suggested this for ages, and an option to disable snap to grid for objects too.

Grid offset could also be very useful:
If you want an object to be centered between 4 grid cells (the purple object in the image).

I’ve tested several workarounds, but they’re really impractical for making full platformer levels

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about this as again recently as well. Not sure if you remember, but there used to be a “grid size” slider in the Game Settings a long time ago. I removed it because of this situation:

1. Make some tiles
  2. Resize grid
  3. Make some more tiles
  4. Resize grid
  5. etc

Now the tiles and grid don’t match up with each other, or with the grid. I’m sure this is fixable somehow, but the solution isn’t obvious.

Disabling snap to grid would be more straightforward.

@grazer How long ago was that? I’ve never seen it.

I made a gif on how grid changing should look like:

The objects will always be placed on the top-left corner of the grid cell. All objects in the gif are 32x32px except for the pink one, which is 16x16px. The size of the object doesn’t matter, it can overlap the grid lines if it’s bigger than the grid cell.

edit: gif wasn’t working for some reason

So in the example, look at frame 3 (red square in 64x64 grid). The Red object is no longer aligned to the grid cell. If you were to reload the game at that point it would jump 32 pixels up to stay aligned.

But if they set it to a smaller grid, it wouldn’t jump up. It’s when smaller blocks are alien in a large grid. If the grid was always small, the only disadvantage would be drag cloning, since it would place on half blocks. Otherwise, there is no disadvantage to a smaller grid. @grazer A grid scale may mess with some game, but make a pop up that says

Notice: Making the grid larger will reposition smaller blocks.
Are you sure you want to resize the grid?

That way, people don’t accidentally mess up their game. Scaling down has no effect for snap. Otherwise, disabling snap, or maybe “Snap to edge” may be a proposal, so smaller blocks snap to edges of the grid, but aren’t forced into a particular corner.

It’s either the thing what Mhx said with the warning or save the exact positions of objects instead of the position in the grid.

After all those years I think it’s finally time for a customizable grid. We got exporting games to mobile, online multiplayer, teams and collaboration but we still can’t do a simple thing such as making a 16x16px object. Kinda funny lol.

I agree that this is something we need, and now is probably the time since we’re in the middle of a big shift to a new version already.

Since you said that the old version already had a scaler, is it as easy as just adding the scaler back? You can make it a test feature and put a warning on it, and if people don’t have a problem with it, you can fix it when you get around to it.
@grazer

Did we ever carry out on any of these ideas? If so, can someone help me figure out how to use it?

This is an old post. Please do not use these.
However, we did. There is a drag bar on the bottom left of the sprite editor for it.
The only problem is that on chrome and iphone, it is covered by the Browse button.

They meant the editor grid cells, not the sprite editor.
But it is kinda why we can scale the sprite by dragging the square at the bottom right of the object when we look at the object settings.