48 HR TD Challenge!

Hey guysss! I know I’m bad at games when it comes to delivery. That’s why I’m setting a 48 Hour timer to get it done! I’ll be making a Tower Defense Genre game, but it won’t happen until you say it will! Please be specific in what you want the game to look like. I’ll start development on Saturday (if all votes say yes)

Should I do the challenge?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

4 Likes

Wow, there’s gonna be a whole genre of td games, lol. I started on one a bit ago and can’t wait to finish it and show it.

4 Likes

My two best games are TD

3 Likes

I love tower defense games, I don’t care how many there are

3 Likes

Well…
Already 12 hours in. Making impeccable progress, tho :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I wasn’t even aware of this TD development trend but I started creating a path finding system for a TD while bored at school-

3 Likes

How advanced is it?
Like follow a straight path, or elaborate pathfinding that allows for self guided pathing?

2 Likes

Self guided path finding.

Right now, the path finding process is half manual; I place sprites where I want it to navigate to. I would like to make it self taught eventually though.

2 Likes

I’ve always wanted that kind of pathfinding, and would be super grateful if you made it into a tutorial game/post when it’s finsished.

2 Likes

I can PM progress so far.

It’s actually quite simple, but the final version will be a lot more complex.

1 Like

Sooooooooo…
Oof happened. I was only ten minutes into the challenge when life happened. I’ll have to reschedule.

3 Likes

It sucks, but I’m glad your not trying to force this into your schedule. You should wait until your sure you can finish this project without any real-life problems such as sleep deprivation, and putting off other more important projects. We’ll still be here when you try again!

3 Likes

All this Pathfinder talk has got me thinking…

3 Likes

:scream:
Wait.
Something big is coming.
I’m literally shaking in my boots RN.
I don’t even own boots.
JR01 IS THINKING, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN…

4 Likes

Spent the whole day yesterday (and a little bit today), but I got a waypoint maker that lets you set the points in your game and export them into a single list behavior that can be used in the pathway bundle. This also has many uses outside of Tower Defense games, like if you want to make a saw move in a pattern across the screen.

Just mark, run/select, and export and the paths are ready to go.

4 Likes

So this is no doubt amazing, but can it go even more advanced? Like smart pathfinding, where an “enemy” can go off path but then make it back on it’s own?
I’m sure it’s super advanced but if we can create a dungeon defenders style of pathfinding, that would be crazy cool.

1 Like

You can do that with this system, I’m using my advance ease bundle, so pause and resume are on the ease bundle. I could go ahead and add pause, resume and stop on the Pathway bundle itself. The idea is similar to the Obstacles & Enemies video in Exploring Flowlab.

If you want AI pathfinding that can automatically go around obstacles with the shortest distance to the target, then that is something I’ll have to look at later. Just thinking a way without scanning the whole map at once still eludes me, and not sure if I can do it too well. I may need to look into Algorithms or just more general research before I try something like that. @TinkerSmith has done a pathfinder, but it scans every cell in the game.

1 Like

@The_KWASM, I added Pause and Resume to the Pathway bundle.
So now the enemy can pause its current path and go do other stuff, then return back to that spot and resume the Path set.

3 Likes

So, hihilogic, how’s it going?
Glad you asked.

BTW, you can view the game here:

2 Likes

Honsestly…
The rest of this is gonna be a breeze. Now I got the basics down, and it’s just a WHOOOLLLLEEE lot of copy and paste from here on out :upside_down_face:

1 Like