A Randomly Generated World

@glithctyrus Nice mocup, it. And definetly can be done. If you look back at @PixelPizza s Dungeon creator, if you view that sideways, mixed with @Superstargames 2d game random generator it might help you do this

Sweeet, Avatar style islands.
Thanks for the picture @glithctyrus , as they say, explains more than a thousand words.

Are they stationary or floating around?

Wait a sec. … like this?
S00606-22425915

:smiley:

@TinkerSmith yes like that and id like it slowly floating randomly

Now that sounds like something that really needs @Superstargames object bundle structure :slight_smile:

Okay, I’ll make the randomly generated floating island.

@Superstargames That can also be added to your game too. Try not to tell Meburningslimes, but you could pull off a better Terraria or Terraria like game than he has. But I still love Meburningslime s Terraria :slight_smile:

@“The Kodex”, come to think of it, I have always wanted to create a sandbox game that has randomly generated worlds.

So I added randomly generated floating islands to the example, but they don’t move yet.
And yes, they look like stretched grass blocks, but I am too lazy right now to make an actual island that is generated by a structure bundle.

Ok. I can’t wait to go back through and read (and try to absorb) all of this, but here are my few feeble attempts at random generation.

POW POW PIRATES: was the result of a week long game jam that I abandoned b/c I spent to long creating the random generating part in the middle. https://flowlab.io/game/play/1177012

OUTPOST OMICRON: randomly generates rooms, monster spawns, light levels, traps and power ups. Each play-through is different, but the arrangement never saves. https://flowlab.io/game/play/1318529

I think that the proximity/raycast array up there might help me with TURDRIS: which was way too far outside of my skill range when I first created it and have never returned. https://flowlab.io/game/play/1165973

@TinkerSmith I’m so stoked that someone else knows about Conway’s Game of Life. I’ve always wanted to experiment with something similar on here. MuhaHaHAHAA!!!

Glad you like this thread @todorrobot , quite a few ideas coming together, love it.

And I love POW POW PIRATES, LOL, sooo cute :slight_smile:

As for Omicron, if you would use a seeded RNG you would only have to save the seed if you want to continue the level later.
For a new layout you could use the normal random generator to create the initial seed and then the seeded one to create the layouts.

And about the array/map scanning. Still glitching sometimes, but at least it doesn’t seem to be lag heavy. Even works on my old phone that normally crashes with memory problems for most of the games here.

POW POW

Had a play with the seeded PRNG, made a quick side scroller mock-up:

PRNG Terrain

Uses a few things.

• the seeded PRNG so that the outcome can be repeated if needed
  • midpoint displacement, was curious. Not really needed here, just because
  • linear ramp routine to fill the gaps between the columns

So same seed = same level :slight_smile:
I did not destroy the ‘old’ columns, so one can always go back to the start of the level. The camera range is set to 200 … after that you drop of the edge of the world MuaHaHa

Question … what do you think how long one could make the level before it becomes a memory problem??

Not even sure if it is of any use, LOL, just needed a different challenge after the array thing (still glitches)

I think it could be endless, just make it spawn in both directions and delete the furthest recent set so it can be spawned again. The memory problem would only be because of the 16bit integer limit in the number blocks rather the resources that are in the game.

Anyone trying to do this but top down based on what I And others planned before @“JR 01” and @TinkerSmith

There were many things planned on here so far, LOL.

How is the map going @“The Kodex” ? Something to look at yet?

Still kinda working on bringing it all together and recreating @Superstargames Structure block code but for top down, and I want to discuss it more and then come up with a mock up and base for this @TinkerSmith . Besides, I saw you actually recently developed the seed thing I was talking about, so maybe when you do, or have not already added save data then I will try to attempt. Probably will try to do a mock up of this next time I am on flowlab.

@TinkerSmith I did what your example did and i got some strange results…

@glithctyrus… What kind of results?

@glithctyrus , what example?
The one with the array map, or the last one with the side view terrain?
Maybe screenshot of the strange results?

its to late flowlab acted up and bassically said this to me at gun point:delete the game or we crash your computer and i think you can guess which i chose…P.S here the game.