Any tips for making good sprites?

I’m making a game about protecting the immune system and I’m stuck on making the sprites. The player is a white blood cell and uses a syringe for a weapon, and the enemies will be a round virus with spike-things coming out of them.

Thanks in advance! :smile:

2 Likes

Use reference images, zoom out when testing it as well as looking at it closely, use shading, apply some randomness to make it look more natural.

1 Like

Personally, I’m quite bad at pixel art and stuff, but @glowbug and @Baron_Wasteland are really good at it and very helpful!

1 Like

I actually made a game kind of similar to this!
Using reference images, outlines, and a color palette + shading are good things to start with

2 Likes

add me to your team and I would be glad to help u with sprites!

1 Like

I’d love to, but for that I’d have to upgrade to Indie and that costs money. I appreciate the offer, though.

TY for the advice! :]

You go for either something really basic and simple or you apply as much shading and random details as possible to make something look a little better. Maybe even use some other app or website to import to flowlab

1 Like

I’ll jump in here and say no, this is a bad idea, especially if you’re relatively new to pixel art. Adding a bunch of details and shading is a real easy way to make your sprites really noisy and when a sprite is really noisy, you have a hard time telling what’s going on. I would suggest relatively simple shapes with maybe one shading color. Adding a dark outline to your sprites helps carry across the nice chunkiness of your pixels without having to do much

4 Likes