Backup OTC of Destiny

I have an opportunity to make a quarter million in scholarships, but I’m passing it up because others probably deserve it more, and I couldn’t garuntee winning the contest to get it either lol.

1 Like

The thing about life is, the people who are most deserving of something don’t usually get it. You might as well go for it. Otherwise, someone even less deserving than you might get it.

1 Like

I don’t want to do it anyways though, I have a psat an sat and a liscense test in a few months.

2 Likes

I didn’t even think they still did the SAT. First I heard they had moved more to the ACT, then I heard they were going to be cancelling them both entirely…?

It’s not even the same test as the one I took anymore anyway. I took the pSAT and the SAT back in 1996 I believe. Something like that.

1 Like

I assume that’s because it’s “systemically racist” or something XD
Nope, in actuality it’s completely normal and everyone I know has either taken it or is preparing to.

1 Like

Well, if you want to get technical, practically all tests are biased in favor of people who know the language and subject material. :grin: It’s unfortunate for those who didn’t receive an education in that region, but the reality is, if I moved to like Russia or China or something and tried to take a scholastic aptitude test there, I would almost certainly fail miserably. And that would be as expected.

Back when I took the SAT, the top score was 1600. Then they added a third part later with a top score of 2400. I don’t even know what the third part is based on.

2 Likes

Yeah, they’re all more about politics than sciences nowadays, but they still get you good scholarships.

2 Likes

What I was saying before is that the radical left declared that the SATs were racist because black children who were raised by a single mother were lower than average on the score (I’m pretty sure that’s just income… but whatever), so they tried to cancel them. Unfortunately for them, people actually wanted to go to college so the SATs still thrived.

1 Like

I scored fairly well on my SAT (top 10% overall at the time) but that didn’t guarantee me a scholarship. I actually don’t even have a college degree, simply because I couldn’t afford to finish. I was too late to apply for scholarships… my parents made too much money for me to qualify for financial aid… and nobody was willing to cosign for me to get a student loan. So I basically completed about an Associate’s Degree amount of community college classes before deciding that 4-year schools were still out of my price range, and that was the end of my education.

RE: the part about tests… it’s pretty much well known that kids who grow up in low income families and go to low income schools don’t usually excel academically. It’s mostly socioeconomic factors that come into play there. The question that remains is, are you actually raising someone else up when you lower the bar?

I don’t want a surgeon operating on me when he just barely graduated med school, because the hospital was short on qualified surgeons.

I guess technically, a halfway qualified surgeon is better than no surgeon when it comes to lifesaving emergencies… but what it’s supposed to be a routine procedure and the unqualified surgeon makes a cut in the wrong place? That’s… erm… no thank you.

2 Likes

Sorry for double posting… but changing subjects here before I turn off my tired brain and computer for the day…

For some reason, I thought this would be a good idea for a vehicle select screen.

And then I realized how much work it is going to be to assign different behaviors to 144 different objects on one screen.

why-do-i-keep-doing-this-to-myself

5 Likes

You don’t have to, just separate sprites.

Make a 3 parent objects for each class of vehicles.

The parent objects can control movement, the rest of your objects only need the “special” abilities of that object specifically.

I agree, it’s social issues, not politics or racism.

I don’t see why I shouldn’t do the sat, nowadays it almost garuntees a scholarship as long as you score well.

3 Likes

You know how to copy and paste code, right?

2 Likes

Chemical plant is my least favourite sonic zone of all time

2 Likes

3 Likes

I… think so?

But I’ll still have to make all the menus manually.

Example: the Humvee. That one is already owned by the player, so you don’t need to click on the OWNED button. But clicking on the SPECIFICATIONS button should open a text that explains details like the vehicle’s cost/value, top speed, armor rating, weapons and ammo, etc. And clicking on the Humvee icon itself will bring up an additional text that asks “Do you want to equip the Humvee? [Y]es or [N]o”. Clicking yes will take you to the next screen where you select a Humvee mission, clicking no will close that text. Each vehicle will have a different list of missions to choose from that are specifically tailored for that vehicle. Which means… I’m going to have to create a lot more levels.

But say you want to buy a tank. Click on the BUY option for the tank, it’s supposed to bring up a menu that says “Are you sure you want to buy the tank? Price: $10,000,000” or whatever. You click yes, it deducts $10m from your bank and “unlocks” the vehicle for use, changing the buy button into an owned button, and the vehicle button from locked to unlocked. Then, same as the Humvee… the SPECIFICATIONS button for the tank will list different stats, and selecting / equipping the tank will open up a new menu of missions that are specifically tailed to the tank vehicle.

So even with a lot of copy/paste, I’ll still have to create separate menus for each icon, along with separate quest lists attached to each vehicle.

For this reason, I’ve decided that my demo version will probably only include maybe 4 vehicles from each category (land, sea, and air). Later versions of the game will have additional campaigns and 48 total available vehicles.

A very ambitious project, I know. It originally started as an idea that I thought I could create in a month or two, but after further calculations, I realized that my “end game” / full project will likely consist of several thousand different missions, and I can’t make that by myself in a couple of months. It will have to be broken down into several smaller parts, with just a simple 100 or so mission demo to start.

3 Likes

Mother: Child, ur sister is an angel!

Child: Ok!

Child: (throws sister off the balcony)

Mother: WHAT HAVE U DONE!?

Child: You said she was an angel?

4 Likes

4 Likes