Bored Reviews (CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE)

It was my first game I made on flowlab, but I perfected it along the way

Well @“Johnny boy” , I’ve played your game, and I’ve got to tell you, you know how to make games hard to play (In a good way). Here are my thoughts:

1. The puzzles and obstacles are well put out, and have meaning and are well spaced and not crammed all together, which is very good.
  2. Some of the speeds of the enemies are a bit ridiculous, though makes sense while playing the game.
  3. One of the things I had noticed right off the bat is that there was only a very small amount of animations, perhaps only one (The character run animation). It is better to fill the game with animations as it gives a sense of life within the game.
  4. Though it has good puzzles, one of the things I just couldn’t help but notice is the art. I’m afraid it is pretty poorly done, like doodles on a napkin instead of the final product. I suggest you improve the art of the character, blocks, enemies, etc. Adding shading and smoother lines.
  5. There is some nice sounds in this game, and at least there is music. It is good that you had put in sounds as you would pick up a key or something.
  6. Also, either in the description of the game or an in-game message, tell the player you are able to jump on top of the enemies to stop them, for it had took me a while to figure that bit out (I mean this as a description of each of the enemies, as of some you have to just avoid)
  7. Some of the puzzle design was a bit off, as you could see underneath some obstacles like the spikes, where there should be a ground instead.
  8. For the walk animation, you should make the animation go faster, for the speed isn’t working as you have it now.
  9. Adding some stuff to the background will give some extra detail.
  10. The introduction sequence goes by way too fast, I could barely see anything, and also, why is there a shop that is empty?

It is a good game at the core, with some good puzzles dealing with timing and pulling some levers. However, there was still some major design flaws that just didn’t work, and definitely add impressive animations to everything. You’ve got the game, but you need more of the art now.

(Ratings out of 10) I give this a 6/10 as it is a good game, but I just wished there was some visuals to join in with this, along with some animations. And also help the player by slowing down that intro full of information that flashes by, and inform the player about the enemies.

Just an announcement, after you have had a review and have fixed some of the stuff and you want a re-review, I’ll gladly do so! Thanks!

Thanks @rcreger, I’ve worked on this game for a little while now. The glitch you experience is a glitch but isn’t easy to do. I call it the spam glitch because you can create it constantly only if you really spam the heck out of the jump button.
Other than that, this glitch rarely appears in normal gameplay.
Also when you get off the window or scroll out of view of the game. The spawns are delayed and slows the game down for a sec. That + the spam glich is what probably triggerd it. Both affects are highly unlikely to happen in normal gameplay.

Thanks for the compliment on my new logo! The loading screen is mostly for a small break before being thrown into the game (and after boot up). I have it for all transitions but I can set it for only going to certain levels if you want. Also did you know the hints on the loading screen are clickable to go to the next tip?

I could probably grow the store size by about 10% to make it slightly better to see.

I might add more modes when I get an indie account to create more levels. Remember, this game is made completely on a Free account.

That seems great @“JR 01” (Not the glitch, but ya’ know)! And yeah, I knew it was a free account, I use a free account personally, so I know the limitations, and even with those, you did a great job! And I had no idea that you could click those tips, was that in the description? It was so long I didn’t look through all of it, to be completely honest. And for the store, I was just curious of what it was with the “FlowLab Characters”? I realized you couldn’t buy that one.

@rcreger, the tip screen is more like an easter egg for when someone is bored and starts tapping the screen while on the loading screen. The Flowlab inspired characters should be visible and purchasable but really expensive (I may lower the prices down for them). I only have 1 character in there right now from StarBlast 3 but I’m open for more if anyone wants thier character in the game. If you want to test it out, open the editor on the home screen and go to the “Active Skin” car thats offscreen. Open the behaviors and open a bundle called “skin select”. Delete the connection between once and save And connect once to the number 7 on the bottom (Not hard to do and worth to do it). The StarBlast character has a cool rainbow trail behind it!

Oh, I get it now, @“JR 01” ! I had thought that FlowLab logo was able to be purchased and that there were more skins inside there. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my side, and thanks for clearing this up!

That would be allot harder lol,
I just used a character spot to show the Flowlab logo so that all character beyond that were from a flowlab game of thier own. The arrows disapear when you hit the end. Allot of work has been put in the shop

Yeah, I see that now @“JR 01” . And with that StarBlast character is really nice with it’s color against the black and white. And I don’t know if this is still here, but I had noticed one time with the original car/character, upon almost landing on the ground after jumping, there is a flash of the flying car. Again, I don’t know if you have fixed this, or if this was just when you were editing something. Thanks!

Hey, I just got my game to a fairly playable state, wold love some opinions/reviews.

NOTE: It is obviously not finished so keep that in mind while playing it : )

http://flowlab.io/game/play/1091596

It’s been a while since I was able to review something, so thanks for letting me @“my_name (<_>)” ! But just remember I’m not going let this cloud my judgement. So here are my thoughts:

1. Good with putting in a menu in the beginning!
  2. It sucks no one will play online with me… But the button animations are okay.
  3. When you go into the “learn” level, is there a way to get out of there and back into the actual game or menu?
  4. I’m a bit confused of what the objective of this game is. Could you put it in the description or an in-game message?
  5. I feel there should be more enemies, since it was a bit easy to get rid of them.
  6. The controls are a bit strange, but I found easy to get used to, though the turn speed is a bit slow.
  7. The art isn’t that bad. And I always ask this about good art, did you make it yourself, or was on Google? Or both?
  8. I don’t like how you have to go and click the different types of weapons, as it takes a bit of time, but I found it really good as you gave the player more weapons than just one attack.
  9. I would like to see even more types of enemies in this game, and more variety, and also some obstacles to dodge as well as these enemies.
  10. I like all the stuff that is part of the game play, such as the different attacks, the health, the shield, and the boost! It’s nice to have several different parts to look after.

There wasn’t that much for me to go on, since this game is not finished, but I think it has potential. I feel like adding these things will create a positive outcome in the game play, and I haven’t seen any glitches in this so far. The art isn’t bad either.

(Ratings out of 10) I give this a 7.5/10, for even though it isn’t finished, it isn’t bad, and once it is, this is sure to get a 8.5/10 or even a 9! Good luck, and hope to see what you come up with!

thanks @rcreger, nearly all the art in the game is from opengameart.org. I am only building the basic “gameplay” part of the levels, when I am finished I’l have a message at the beginning of each level explaining the objective and a bit of a story. I will repost my game here and probably at the crigience critique when it is done.

Sounds great @“my_name (<_>)” , can’t wait when it is done! You mostly nailed the gameplay anyways (Though I believe the rotation could be a bit faster).

And I usually always ask about the artwork, since I like nice looking games with smooth animations, since it helps visually for people to imagine the world the developer has made. Nice work!

http://www.flowlab.io/game/play/1052738

Here’s my game, Only One Way (To Escape)
It’s like a maze so try to remember where you’re going.

This was absolutely amazing @SomeGuy542 ! Wow, I haven’t seen that many of these types of games on FlowLab, and it was a very pleasant experience (especially with the obvious high amount of work put into it!) This is what I thought about it:

1. The first thing I notice is that it is was bird eye view, which is excellent for this game! And, of course, I liked how it looked, and if I liked how it looked, I always ask “Did you make the art yourself?” It’s just a thing, because I love game art.
  2. …Is this a Minecraft game? When I died, it said something like, “Steve was killed by a Creeper”…? Maybe put a little bit more info in the description. Speaking of description, you should also put in the controls in there, since had to figure them out.
  3. The menu was perfect! Really nice look with it, and with music. Well done!
  4. I like that the monsters don’t immediately run at you, but is a downfall since it makes it a bit easy.
  5. Speaking of easiness, after a while, I started to not lose anymore health, even when I tried to.
  6. The set up of the GUI is really nice, but I also saw some labels in the editor. Are those going to be in-game?
  7. The animations are really nice, but sometimes they don’t work going in some directions. Might want to check it out.
  8. Impressive that upon touching the torch, the screen lit up, it actually surprised me! Nice work with that! It feels like a very well thought game, with different pieces of game play.
  9. The ending scene was a bit strange, and a bit sudden. I wasn’t sure what to think of it since it just started scrolling.
  10. There could be an even more variety of enemies, but it actually seems good with this game. I suggest probably adding a brighter enemy, or projects light, since the area is a bit dark. I think it would be a nice touch.

One more thing that I am not putting in the review is the sounds… Wonderful. I just thought this would just waste space in the review section, since I try to limit it to 10 things. But this game was really nice, and I really enjoyed playing (And very willingly gave it a like) . It would be even better with a dash of story within it.

(Ratings out of 10) This game astonished me, and so I give this a very nice 8.5/10, even if it isn’t complete, and found it very interesting. Even though I accomplished the objective of the game, there was probably even more that I didn’t get to. I would like to see more animations, however, such as with the enemies. And maybe when you are attacking, an animation for that. But this has AMAZING potential, and I absolutely can not wait to see what you have next. If you have any updates fixing stuff (which there was not really any bugs, so maybe improve the game) you can resend your game and I could re-review it for a possible higher score. Thanks, this was fantastic!

Thank you very much.
I did put a lot of effort into the overall game and it is getting a whole makeover with new items and enemies.
I actually started thinking up a story behind it and I was going to remake the characters so they look a little more detailed for the setting.

Do sb3

Well, the second level is unfinished. (the game isn’t finished overall except the 1st level)
and i have been trying to make less objects as i can.

1. each level will have different art styles (the second level isnt finished yet)
  2. I might have to delete the training grounds to make up space for objects IF there isnt much objects left.
  3. And the 1st (harder) level was going to be a test area. (good job at guessing!)

Thanks for the critique @rcreger ! :smiley:

http://flowlab.io/game/play/819621
You ASKED for it!!!

https://flowlab.io/game/play/1079662 One of my favorite games that i made. Please don’t look at the code, there ARE secrets!
https://flowlab.io/game/play/1013949 I have a game similar to SomeGuy52’s, only more of a jumpscare.